Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM

1,738 posts, read 845,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl2006 View Post
Hi everyone. I have not been on here for a while, but at home tonight and thought I would check in. I have really enjoyed reading the posts on here and taking in all of the suggestions. I have actually been on several dates, but no real chemisty between us, but at least going out and having fun so that is good. Regarding one question on here regards to whether or not I have a southern accent...yes, I do. I am a Charlotte native. I might have to do the golf thing, but not sure how to get started as this is something I have never considered. Isn't this an expensive hobby? Suggestions are welcome. I saw some comments on here that I sound like I expect a great guy to fall into my lap. Nope, that is certainly not the case. I do go out and meet people and make conversation, but not finding the men in my age group so perhaps I need to find different places to go. I work off the Park Road/Montford/Southpark area and it's easier to frequent the bars and restaurants in this area for dinner/drinks/socializing, but maybe I will have to expand my 'area'. Thanks again!
As I read through these responses- it seemed to me that you had a couple of pretty good invitations right here.... did you DM them? Take your opportunities wherever they materialize, girl!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM

763 posts, read 821,819 times
How about parents without partners? George Castanza on Seinfeld met someone at a jailhouse and and conjucal visits. Forget the last sentence. It may have been stupid.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,166 times
I am single male in my 50s. I am out and about a fair amount because of my job and some groups I am involved it. When I do find a 40-50 something woman who is truly worthwhile or a "keeper" they are NOT available. They are either married or involved with someone. If you make yourself truly attractive to men (IE slender, attractive, positive attitude, good disposition, young thinking...) THEY will find YOU. The older men and the younger men will both pursue you.

You will have to get out some for them to find you. I recommend meetup groups, singles groups, golf and other sports, dancing venues and dance studios that have events, business functions and events, volunteer at business/social/charity events or get involved with a charity. Also use social media to meet people and to "be informed" of events and social opportunities. Good luck and maybe I will see you around.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM

14 posts, read 21,391 times
It must be different in outer areas of NC..I live in South Charlotte and I am educated, attractive and dress well..There aren't any men and if there are, they never look at women...I have never experienced anything like this anywhere else around the country...I go out to a wine bar, and get approached by 30 something yr old's...and also married men...They are so arrogant and disrespectful!...What a world we live in...
Good luck to all you ladies..I don't have any answers...

Old 02-25-2018, 09:55 PM

31 posts, read 32,073 times
My advice for years has been:

1. If you're a man seeking a woman for a serious relationship, hang around the church or other house of worship whose beliefs come closest to your own. Not sure what your own beliefs are? Here's a quiz to help you: http://www.beliefnet.com/entertainme...atic.aspx?ec=1
There are always more available women than men in houses of worship, especially if you're Christian of any stripe. EXCEPTION: Mosques only contain men; Muslim women worship at home.

2. If you're a woman seeking a man for a serious relationship, hang around politics. More men than women involved in party politics, especially if you're Republican.

So choose a party, candidate or ballot issue that you actually believe in (that's very important), & go volunteer there.

Added bonus: If you follow this advice, you're more likely to find someone whose core beliefs more closely mirror your own.

Also, IMHO & experience, bars (even wine bars) are never good places to meet men, unless you only want casual relationships that go nowhere.

Also, consider taking up the sport of curling. Yes, seriously. It's good for fitness, Charlotte has a curling club (https://charlottecurling.com), and 2/3 or more of curlers are men. You need not be in fantastic physical condition to curl. People of ALL ages curl, even people in their 90s and people who use wheelchairs, have back problems, etc. There's adaptive equipment available for people who can't assume the traditional curling position. (FAIR DISCLOSURE: I'm a 10+ year curler...and female.)

Now get off the web & get out there!

Last edited by Funch; 02-25-2018 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: improvement

Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 AM

1,195 posts, read 984,791 times
They're all over but won't be found where couples hang out. If you want to meet an educated single guy in 50s he has to find you. I recommend pursue hobbies you always liked and one will come.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl2006 View Post
I am a single, middle-aged female who is healthy, successful, attractive and educated. When I go out to live music venues or to grab a drink or have dinner with friends, I run into much younger people in their 20's and 30's and while that is fine for the most part, it would be nice to find single men in my age-group of 45-55. Any ideas where like-minded single men in this age-group hang out or are they all married? Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Maybe you might consider dating someone younger then yourself?I know it's not ideal for you but that age group you're looking for..most are probably married or dating already.You might have to lower your dating age to find someone more suited for you.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 AM

571 posts, read 547,183 times
There are meet up groups all over. There is one up here on the lake which may be of help. They meet at a different venue every week in the north part of the county near the lake. To contact them: LKNHappyHour@gmail.com. They have a facebook page "LKN Happy Hour, and their tweeter is: LKNHappyHappyHour. It is for people that move to the lake area and want to meet others. The time I went, it had lots of singles in the age group that you mentioned. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:52 PM

31 posts, read 32,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Maybe you might consider dating someone younger then yourself?I know it's not ideal for you but that age group you're looking for..most are probably married or dating already.You might have to lower your dating age to find someone more suited for you.

Absolutely! In fact I hope that's what happens. Ever since h.s., every serious relationship I've had has been w a guy younger than I, incl. ex-spouse. That style worked great when I was younger, but can't rely on that strategy any more. People are often surprised (or maybe just polite) when they learn my age.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:51 PM

444 posts, read 581,911 times
I moved here when I was 35 and it was slim picking.
Being single in Charlotte over 30 is like moving to Salt Lake City and NOT being Mormon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte