U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:31 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,918,873 times

Advertisements

We have visited quite a few of the schools in the area and are so impressed with these two private schools. Should we actually "make the move" and have the opportunity to choose between them, we will have a hard time picking between the two. I'd love to get some feedback from people who have or have had some "up close and personal" experience (attended, have children who attend or have friends/relatives who attended or are employed at these schools.) I don't mean to start a debate over which school is better; just a discussion on the similarites and differences and "personalities" of the schools so we can decide which is a better fit for our family. Additionally, if anyone has any idea of how good the chances are of both of my elementary school-aged children getting in at the same time? Thanks. MJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 AM

443 posts, read 1,162,271 times
Almost every decent private school in Charlotte is now fairly hard to get into, simply because the demand is SO high. I had a friend whose child was waitlisted at Charlotte Christian. Another who, shock of all shocks, had children waitlisted at area Catholic schools(use to be that if you were Catholic and applied, you got in!). So, I would not assume that you will get into either PD or Latin. Both are competitive and have good reputations.
Those I know at PD like it...unless they have a struggling student. Then, the need was not met. The family I know at Latin loves it. The kids got a great education. Stil, there daughter ended up at NC State with a lot of CMS high school graduates...meaning that it did not guarentee an Ivy League Path.
Negatives? Both have sort of an elitist feel to them. Of course, the other negative is cost. You might be able to get a fine education in CMS for an elem. student for free, if you live in the right area.
Finally, on this board in recent weeks there was a whole, long thread on "PD...is it worth the $$$?". You might want to access and read it.

Good luck-
T

Old 08-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Thanks, T. Actually, it was me who posted the PD $ ?! Since then, we have visited both PD & Latin and did some more school research and have decided that it would be worth it to us to pay for either of these incredible schools - not necessarily to get our kids into an ivy league school - that's not our goal! At this point, I'm looking for help in choosing between these two schools (again, assuming we get in, which I understand is difficult). I'd like to know what it feels like to attend each of these schools on a daily basis; e.g., Are the kids/families a little more down to earth at one or the other? Are drugs a little more prevelant here or there? Which school is more liberal or conservative? Does one school have a safer feel than the other? Are the seniors driving BMW's and needing to wear designer clothes? Is one school better known for being more serious minded and the other partying a little more? Parent involvement? Homework load? Cliques? I'm just looking for info. regarding "LEANINGS" in these areas - nothing is black or white and what's good for one isn't necessarily what someone else is looking for! MJ

Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,966,653 times
Quote:
Finally, on this board in recent weeks there was a whole, long thread on "PD...is it worth the $$$?". You might want to access and read it.
Maja was the OP of that thread.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 AM

435 posts, read 1,729,747 times
Personally I think either school is fine. I did not go to those schools but I did go to private school & they both have a fine reputation. You might meet more down to earth people at Latin then you would at PD. When I was in HS PD, along with Country Day, had the snobbish attitude to it & you really didn't hear much from Latin (same could be said for Charlotte Christian). Maybe it was because of the school I went to & our rivalries I really don't know. Granted things have probably changed since I was in HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Thanks, T. Actually, it was me who posted the PD $ ?! Since then, we have visited both PD & Latin and did some more school research and have decided that it would be worth it to us to pay for either of these incredible schools - not necessarily to get our kids into an ivy league school - that's not our goal! At this point, I'm looking for help in choosing between these two schools (again, assuming we get in, which I understand is difficult). I'd like to know what it feels like to attend each of these schools on a daily basis; e.g., Are the kids/families a little more down to earth at one or the other? Are drugs a little more prevelant here or there? Which school is more liberal or conservative? Does one school have a safer feel than the other? Are the seniors driving BMW's and needing to wear designer clothes? Is one school better known for being more serious minded and the other partying a little more? Parent involvement? Homework load? Cliques? I'm just looking for info. regarding "LEANINGS" in these areas - nothing is black or white and what's good for one isn't necessarily what someone else is looking for! MJ

Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Appreciate the input! MJ

Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 AM

4,127 posts, read 10,743,863 times
We have friends whose kids are in each one (one family in one and one in the other) and both are very happy with their choices. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I would take a tour of each and talk to admin if you can and get a better feel for it.

BTW: The principal at Latin is very nice.

Dawn

Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the input. We actually did visit and tour both schools and loved them BOTH! Just looking for additional feedback in order to make the final choice between what appears to be great and great! MJ

Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 PM

443 posts, read 1,162,271 times
Default Applying to Both

Why not apply to both? Granted, there is the admission fee...but you could apply to both and then make the call. The welcoming they give you once you are in might help.

Also, are your kids old enough to give any feedback? We are making a about schools and had 3 on the list. Our kids loved one, liked another and really did not like a third. That helped us.

Good luck-
T

Old 08-12-2007, 12:59 PM

4,127 posts, read 10,743,863 times
Another question I have that I cannot answer, but might help with your decsions.

I know that Providence Day offers bus service from select "drop off" locations. My friends that live in Marvin but have kids there take them to a drop off location near Ballentyne and a bus picks them up there and then drops them off there in the afternoon.

I don't know if Latin does this or not.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte