Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 7,754 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are getting ready to relocate to NC from VT. My husband's job might bring us the Charlotte area.

One neighborhood we are going to see on a quick trip this weekend is the Vineyards on Lake Wylie. Everything we have read about it and have seen online sounds very appealing. The staff there said that the school for that neighborhood is Berryhill. The school gets a rating of 6/10 on greatschools.org (based on test scores) and only has 1 parent review (which is very positive). But I have seen some other comments on this forum or others implying it is in a bad area or not a great school.

Just wondering if anyone experience with the school and can provide has any feedback about it or other schools in the area. We are also interested in huntersville.

Our children are only 4 and 1. We just want to get them off to a good start in a nice, safe school.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
This school progress report may help:
http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...hill_ES_10.pdf

It is a Title I school with a high percentage of disadvantaged kids - may be of concern to some people who may worry a high achiever's needs may not be met - though this is not necessarily the case. I don't have direct experience with the school so I hope you get more informed responses.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
I feel I must also mention that this area feeds into West Mecklenburg High school - one of the lowest performing schools in the district. If I were to move there, I would probably want to move again by the time my kids finished Elementary school. Unless you can get them into a magnet program, but then you have to worry about transportation!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Seems to me the Vineyards have been sitting there for years without many sales. It's not really in a good part of town and that location is more of a small tributary off the Catawba River than Lake Wylie. There are times when it's not boatable because it's not very deep. There have been some recent complaints through there about noise from the new runway at the airport. I think the Vineyard developers were hoping to take advantage of the real estate bubble, and it popped before it got going.

There are better choices for living on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte