Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 AM

121 posts, read 353,504 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived in Charotte for just over 5yrs and I am considering moving back (moved away for a job), however, though I did LIKE living there, I did not LOVE it. At the time when I decided to move there I was looking for something bigger (was living in charleston for 7rys) I know Charlotte is not a hustle and bustle town (like Chicago, where I was just living) but just wondering how much has it grown since I left? What's new? besides the Epicenter? anymore downtown hip resturants? Is NODA built up more? More single 30-40something professionals moving into the city for jobs? Is there more Energy in the city? (this was always lacking for me)

I am concerned that I will be a bit bored living there again. I threw myself into everything and kept busy but at the time my heart was in a bigger city.....I lived in Charlotte for just under two years. I always thought it was lacking more Upscale mid 30-something entertainment/nightlife, more to do on the weekends during the daytime(festivals, etc) not just geared for Families.. so when I had an offer to move to Chicago I jumped on it, however, as much as I love the city and urban lifestyle and what it has to offer for singles, the Chicago winters are just too darn long and brutal to keep me there.

So what has changed in the last 5yrs?
thanks!

Last edited by jld13072; 09-03-2011 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:41 AM

57 posts, read 142,358 times
Well, it's been a lot better since you left.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybaran View Post
Well, it's been a lot better since you left.
and being rude for what reason?
oh wait, never mind..I was just reading through your comments on other posts...and you have something negative and snarky to say about everything! Esp the Natives! Who the hell are you??? leave your unwanted crappy attitude where you came from in NJ.... BTW..I am from NYC.

Last edited by jld13072; 09-03-2011 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
To be honest, I don't see much of a difference in Charlotte in the last five years, but that is just me. Now, we have gotten some new museums, which is wonderful! But it seems to me what you are asking is - does it have more of a "big city feel" than it did 5 years ago? I don't think so, personally, but maybe others will have a different perspective.

Also, I am a Boomer, so I don't have a feel for what 30-somethings would be particularly interested in, other than what my 27 y/o son has mentioned to me (and he does not live here presently).

Now, as far as being "geared toward families," I think Charlotte is an excellent place to raise a family, but I am thinking about the 'burbs when I say that.

I love CHI, btw . . . and have family who at one time lived in Wrigley and also Lincoln Park - and are now in the 'burbs. I would have no problem, if money were not a factor, moving to CHI, but then I really like big cities - dont' even mind the traffic, lol. My family members like Charlotte's burbs and find the burbs very comparable.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
I've only been here for six years, but it doesn't sound like anything has changed. I'm a little biased, b/c I'm sort of in your boat - I definitely don't love it here, and can't wait to move. If I left, there's no way I'd come back.

If you're looking to be in the south again, maybe try Atlanta.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:38 AM

I agree with it being a great Family place...I always felt that way when I living there back in 2004. Charlotte has much to offer and alot packed into a city its size but perhaps it doesn't have the big city feel and can seem sleepy more so than not, because there are alot of familes residing there more so than 30 something singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
To be honest, I don't see much of a difference in Charlotte in the last five years, but that is just me. Now, we have gotten some new museums, which is wonderful! But it seems to me what you are asking is - does it have more of a "big city feel" than it did 5 years ago? I don't think so, personally, but maybe others will have a different perspective.

Also, I am a Boomer, so I don't have a feel for what 30-somethings would be particularly interested in, other than what my 27 y/o son has mentioned to me (and he does not live here presently).

Now, as far as being "geared toward families," I think Charlotte is an excellent place to raise a family, but I am thinking about the 'burbs when I say that.

I love CHI, btw . . . and have family who at one time lived in Wrigley and also Lincoln Park - and are now in the 'burbs. I would have no problem, if money were not a factor, moving to CHI, but then I really like big cities - dont' even mind the traffic, lol. My family members like Charlotte's burbs and find the burbs very comparable.

Last edited by jld13072; 09-03-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I've only been here for six years, but it doesn't sound like anything has changed. I'm a little biased, b/c I'm sort of in your boat - I definitely don't love it here, and can't wait to move. If I left, there's no way I'd come back.

thanks! I always feared moving back some place I've lived before and regetting it. If it was so great, then I would have stayed in the first place.(it's liking dating an EX again..you forget the bad and only remember the good..get back together but then realize nothing has changed

Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

I almost agree with this. I just wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't move back here if the opportunity arose. It just wouldn't be high on my list. There's really nothing that makes this area stand out to me as a target destination. It's basically "Anytown, USA".

Old 09-03-2011, 11:51 AM

222 posts, read 550,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
I always thought it was lacking more Upscale mid 30-something entertainment/nightlife, more to do on the weekends during the daytime(festivals, etc) not just geared for Families..
I'm also single and in my 30s and I think that the biggest issue isn't the lack of things to do, but the lack of other singles here in the Charlotte area to do things with. Coming from a place like Chicago you're going to experience a major drop off in the number of singles your age here in Charlotte. Honestly if your only complaint about Chicago is the snow you might want to look for a city of a similar size that's in a slightly warmer climate. Better to do that than to come down here and be bored out of your mind because the vast majority of people in your age group are married or have children.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:52 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I almost agree with this. I just wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't move back here if the opportunity arose. It just wouldn't be high on my list. There's really nothing that makes this area stand out to me as a target destination. It's basically "Anytown, USA".
Yeah - that's a good description. I don't hate it here, and have no trouble recommending it for certain people, but it's a very bland place. I think unless that's what you're looking for, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it would be hard to return. Especially after living somewhere like Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: