U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,482,058 times

Advertisements

Is there any place to get a good gyro, preferably with lamb, thats affordable? Greek Isles is good but a bit pricey. Of course I know of Showmars and Akropolis Cafe but they are way too Americanized and low quality (anywhere that asks you "chicken or beef" is not serving real gyros). There has to be somewhere because where I moved from in Little Rock we had two.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,194,639 times
Yiasou Greek Festival

Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM

368 posts, read 892,037 times
House of Athens (formerly Cluckers), although I don't know if they are open yet after the move.

Home Page (http://houseofathens.com/Home_Page.html - broken link)

One of my favorite casual restaurants.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM

181 posts, read 335,104 times
Little Village Grill down at the Gateway. Tiny place, but excellent and pretty cheap. Check out the pictures.

Little Village Grill - Restaurant/Cafe - Charlotte, NC | Facebook

Last fall, we wrote despairingly of the lack of authentic gyros in Charlotte. Real Greek gyros are tightly stacked meat on skewers. They are not the cone of pressed beef and lamb trimmings with bread crumbs and seasonings that people have come to know as Greek gyros — this is an American invention. But in January, Cindy and John Georgopoulos, owners of the Little Village Grill, decided to make real pork gyros. They marinate the pork, cook it via a rotisserie and then finish it off on the griddle. The taste of this gyro is remarkably similar to the gyros of Athens. 710 W. Trade St., Suite G 704-347-2184

Last edited by NC72; 09-05-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 12:18 PM

3,236 posts, read 5,071,870 times
I am not an expert on Greek food but I ate at 'The Mad Greek' on South Boulevard the other day and my meal was excellent. The owner even brought us a sampler plate to try (don't know what it was - but it was great!). Prices may be a touch high but maybe that is why their food is better!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 PM

124 posts, read 421,147 times
A couple of Greek places have opened in Ballantyne. There's Ikos in the shopping center across from the Ballantyne Resort (the name escapes me), and Greco in Blakeney. I haven't been to either, but maybe someone else has, and can fill us in?

I enjoy Kabob Grill in Stonecrest. It's not Greek food, it's Mediterannean/Middle Eastern style and we just love it! They have nice lamb kebabs and their veggie combo is great... $19 and enough food to feed 2 people.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:43 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,482,058 times
Thanks for the replies thus far. I'll have to check out Little Village Grill. House of Athens looks alright, and is the atmosphere/price I am looking for, but it looks like they are serving the American chicken/beef gyros. Greco looks promising as per the Yelp review they serve lamb. They do not have a website so does anybody know the price range?

How a restaurant in this day and age thinks they can do business without a website is beyond me.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,298,665 times
There is a Greek market opening on Independence. Somewhere up by the diner and the surplus store. Can't remember the name.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,751,184 times
This thread has me craving a chicken Slovaki!!!!!! Extra feta please.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,166,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Thanks for the replies thus far. I'll have to check out Little Village Grill. House of Athens looks alright, and is the atmosphere/price I am looking for, but it looks like they are serving the American chicken/beef gyros. Greco looks promising as per the Yelp review they serve lamb. They do not have a website so does anybody know the price range?

How a restaurant in this day and age thinks they can do business without a website is beyond me.
Greco is reasonable in my eyes. I believe the gyro was around $5. Food was very good. We will be back. I think it is locally owned by someone in the immediate neighborhood (maybe in Blakeney?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte