U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,731,470 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the laps will be paced, but how often does one get to drive on a big race track?

Laps for Life | Speedway | Charlotte Motor Speedway (http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/tickets/laps_for_life/ - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 05:17 PM

505 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Exclamation Srsly?

This sounds like a very stupid idea. First you donate blood, then you get to go 3 laps on the Speedway?! Hope I'm reading it wrong. Or maybe drive first, then donate blood.

I drove Speedway laps a few years back for a Thanksgiving charity event. About 20 or so vehicles behind one pace car. Drove up to 80-90 MPH. It was scary because of the banking and vehicles were sometimes 3-wide, and it was a free-for-all as long as you're behind the pace car. Worse yet - some of the other vehicles did not belong! (e.g. Ford Econoline) I could trust my driving and my car, but had no idea what the others would do!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
This sounds like a very stupid idea. First you donate blood, then you get to go 3 laps on the Speedway?! Hope I'm reading it wrong. Or maybe drive first, then donate blood.

I drove Speedway laps a few years back for a Thanksgiving charity event. About 20 or so vehicles behind one pace car. Drove up to 80-90 MPH. It was scary because of the banking and vehicles were sometimes 3-wide, and it was a free-for-all as long as you're behind the pace car. Worse yet - some of the other vehicles did not belong! (e.g. Ford Econoline) I could trust my driving and my car, but had no idea what the others would do!
I was looking for those Thanksgiving laps when I found the 'laps for blood' promo.

I haven't gotten into the details, but driving at speed immediately after giving blood does seem a bit odd. I'm sure they've given that some thought.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,187,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I was looking for those Thanksgiving laps when I found the 'laps for blood' promo.

I haven't gotten into the details, but driving at speed immediately after giving blood does seem a bit odd. I'm sure they've given that some thought.
I've given blood lots of times and never been woozy afterwards. Maybe they will actually enforce the "sit down for a while afterwards" rule.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,157,853 times
Thanks for posting this! I may go. I also have driven laps on Black Friday, and I have also done the same thing on a car club day. It was a blast. When you go with the general public there is always the chance of getting mixed up with some crazy drivers.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM

8,623 posts, read 12,851,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Worse yet - some of the other vehicles did not belong! (e.g. Ford Econoline) I could trust my driving and my car, but had no idea what the others would do!
Awww man... I was gonna' jump start the ol' Aerostar and head on down there!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I've given blood lots of times and never been woozy afterwards. Maybe they will actually enforce the "sit down for a while afterwards" rule.
Well, there's woozy, and there's "driving on a racetrack with a bunch of other random drivers" woozy.

When I give blood I recognize that I'm not a hundred percent for a little bit. But as I said, I'm sure they've taken all that into consideration.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,312,605 times
I was able to hit about 125 out there a few years ago, before I caught the pace car.

"I want you to go out there and hit the pace car!"

Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I was able to hit about 125 out there a few years ago, before I caught the pace car.

"I want you to go out there and hit the pace car!"
He didn't hit you, he rubbed you. And rubbin's racin'!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Well, there's woozy, and there's "driving on a racetrack with a bunch of other random drivers" woozy.

When I give blood I recognize that I'm not a hundred percent for a little bit. But as I said, I'm sure they've taken all that into consideration.
For an event like this they better have some good snacks afterwards too. Not those damn cheap 25 cent Oreo knock off packs. I want the real double stuffed ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte