Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 PM

157 posts, read 322,309 times

Advertisements

Coming from CA and CO, where camping and hiking is a way of life (at least for us), what is it like to camp around western NC? I am imagining a the mountains have a lot to offer in the way of overnight tent camping. I am (hate to admit it) VERY put off by the idea of snakes and spiders! On our last visit to the west Lake Norman area, we were surprised by all the "Got A Spider Problem? billboards we saw. I am a closet arachnophobe - they all give me the heebie-jeebies big time.

If we move there, and given what I stated above, would camping be a non-starter for me?

Even further, to what degree could I expect to encounter these little nightmares in someplace like my basement, backyard or worse yet, in my home if we live out to that area?

Maybe on a 1-5 "sighting" scale (for each critter) where 1=Never; 2=Rarely; 3=Sometimes; 4=Often; 5=Very often

Oh, and while we're at it - mosquito's! What's their prevalence there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
If you are a closet arachnophobe, you should definitely stay out of the closets.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 AM

???

Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
Oh my. I think it might be tough for you. I also love camping and am scared to death of snakes. We have lived in NC for 4 years and I have only seen 1 small snake. My wife has seen 2 over the years near our house. I used to see a lot more when we were up in Virginia.

Spiders I see all the time. Usually they have a webs growing in my tool shed and in the bushes around my house. They are not huge spiders so they dont really bother me. I have not seen any inside our house but see maybe 6-10 spiders per year outside of the house. Usually they are in their web when I see them.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Tx Frank. Seeing so many billboards offering to rid you of your spider problem causes me concern - like the area is overrun with them. I HATE spiders. Snakes I am a bit more forgiving of only because I am more aware of how and where to avoid them.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
We have not noticed an abundance of spiders in the mountains, but you will definitely want to stay away from some of the trails near the coast. If you ever go beach camping, get a site near the water and avoid the inland/swamp trails.

Here in Charlotte, we rarely see spiders in the house (and when we do they're average tiny house spiders), and we see spiders in the yard/porch semi-frequently. We've had a couple nasty ones outside, but upon killing/relocation of them they haven't returned or led to any sort of infestation. I'd say we don't see them more frequently than you would in most parts of the country, but every once in a while there will be a GIANT one.

As far as snakes, never seen one around home and have seen a couple in the deep woods of the mountains. Usually only on remote trails though, I doubt they hang out in populated campsites.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
We hike and camp regularly (backcountry, not car camping), and I guess there are a lot of spiders. I don't really mind them, as long as they aren't bothering me, so I'm not sure I notice them like you would. I've seen more snakes in CA and CO hiking than I have here. Besides, if you do see a snake it is likely to be a black snake or rat snake or something that is harmless and will gladly take its leave of you.

It's super hot here in the summer, so most of our hiking and camping is done in the cooler months, when you're less likely to see bugs and snakes anyway. I'd be willing to bet that once you get established here, your hiking/camping schedule would be the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it. What I would worry about is that your outdoor experience here will be nothing compared to out west. Sigh...there is no more beautiful place in our country...

Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
The bathrooms and showers at the developed campgrounds are full of Daddy Long Legs and Crane Flies!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Thanks everybody!! Great responses and yes January, I will sorely miss the outdoors of CO and CA.

One addendum - what about mosquitoes? I lived a few years in MN and they could get so bad you'd have to really speed walk from one outdoor place to another lest they carry you away....

Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
I don't think the mosquitoes are too bad here. The last time I visited Ohio I got more mosquito bites in on night that I've probably had since moving to Charlotte. I slept two nights in a shelter on the AT in June and didn't get a single bite. There are more mosquitoes here than out west, but they aren't nearly as bad as the midwest or northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: