Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
NCBORN Here is the answer to the question u asked me about Portland, and then perhaps u or anyone may get some idea how it may fare in Charlotte. Portland has and it may be the only metro area that has one is a Urban Growth Boundary. It is a imaginary line that circles this metro area, basically commercial and to a large extent housing developments can only be built inside this line, to prevent sprawl. The light rail system has been a huge success here, I am not sure if the urban growth boundary has been though. It means we are very densely populated, and buildings go up here, we do not have the sprawl so rampant as in the south and other regions of the country. With that said rail works here, many of us including myself can live and walk to these stations. I live in a area called gresham station, a development built in and around a station, with condos, apts, health clubs and various stores and businesses. However, parking spaces are so limited, I barely drive my chevy pickup for fear I will not find a parking space when I return home. This is becoming a common problem all over the area here. It appears it is intentional, build all this light rail, but limit parking spaces in housing areas, therefore people will not own a vehicle and ride the trains, the buses, the streetcars, and now the new cable car line. I am all for transit, and use it almost everyday, or walk to where I want to go if its practical, however I would like the option of using my vehicle also. I hope Charlotte will find a way to have both, control the sprawl, build a decent rail system, and extend it as quickly as possible, educate the population on the need and importance of getting people out of their cars in large metro areas. But also give people the option of owning and using a vehicle when they need to. That is a little insight into Portland, we are densely populated for the most part, so rail works here, right now a new line is being built than runs along the freeway to the suburbs in the south metro region. Charlotte is much more spread out than we are, it will be interesting to see how the planners there deal with that issue when constucting the rail lines, and getting people out of their cars. People here do park at park and rides and take the trains, it doesn't seem to be a problem here. I take the train from my home to the airport where I work, and I don't miss the miserable drive at all, its relaxing to sit and read and take a gaze out the window at the traffic on the fwy, and know I don't have to sit in it. I hope it works for charlotte.
I think Portland is a good example of smart growth and planning and what Charlotte should look up to, if it wants to continue to attract people to the area. If not and the population continues to boom and grow uncontrollably, we could look like Atlanta, with tons of sprawl and traffic everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
I remember when they were putting in the Metro Rail in LA County, CA (where I use to live)...there were nothing but complaints about how much it was costing, it was taking to long, the placement of it, etc...oh my gosh then the subway portion with the underground tunnels...that were within earthquake country (streets buckling)...yet after all of that..and once it was all done...it was as if all had been forgotten as more and more people starting using it.

I remember when they were putting in the TriMet in Portland, OR (I have family here)...it too seemed like everyone was in an uproar of how long it was taking, the cost, the location, how it didn't make any sense, the mess...yet now that it's up and running...it seems once again all is forgotten about.

Just wondering if the same will hold true for Charlotte?....I think so

Old 03-28-2007, 06:46 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
http://www.charlotte.com/171/story/64431.html (broken link)

Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) officials are moving ahead with plans to launch the system’s next line,
which, for a number of reasons, seems likely to be the North Corridor line from Charlotte to Davidson/Mooresville
with a possible 2011 finish date.

Rail Line $261 million

$65 million from NCDOT

$88 million from CATS (half-cent tax)

$24 million CATS Gateway Station Fund

$18 million from Mooresville

$65 million Federal Railroad bonds

Station enhancements $97 million

All funding would come from TIF bonds or instruments

Huntersville Herald Online (http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles/2007/06/22/news/local/local02.txt - broken link)

Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I remember when they were putting in the Metro Rail in LA County, CA (where I use to live)...there were nothing but complaints about how much it was costing, it was taking to long, the placement of it, etc...oh my gosh then the subway portion with the underground tunnels...that were within earthquake country (streets buckling)...yet after all of that..and once it was all done...it was as if all had been forgotten as more and more people starting using it.

I remember when they were putting in the TriMet in Portland, OR (I have family here)...it too seemed like everyone was in an uproar of how long it was taking, the cost, the location, how it didn't make any sense, the mess...yet now that it's up and running...it seems once again all is forgotten about.

Just wondering if the same will hold true for Charlotte?....I think so

Pretty much same thing happened with our uptown arena, but certainly some people are still bitter over it. I think any alternative to dependency on foregn oil is not bad.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 AM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) officials are moving ahead with plans to launch the system’s next line,
which, for a number of reasons, seems likely to be the North Corridor line from Charlotte to Davidson/Mooresville
with a possible 2011 finish date.

Rail Line $261 million

$65 million from NCDOT

$88 million from CATS (half-cent tax)

$24 million CATS Gateway Station Fund

$18 million from Mooresville

$65 million Federal Railroad bonds

Station enhancements $97 million

All funding would come from TIF bonds or instruments

Huntersville Herald Online (http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles/2007/06/22/news/local/local02.txt - broken link)
Sounds good! I'm all for public transit and I applaud the city officials for the progess, and standing behind public transit.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 PM

22 posts, read 91,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
NCBORN Here is the answer to the question u asked me about Portland, and then perhaps u or anyone may get some idea how it may fare in Charlotte. Portland has and it may be the only metro area that has one is a Urban Growth Boundary. It is a imaginary line that circles this metro area, basically commercial and to a large extent housing developments can only be built inside this line, to prevent sprawl. The light rail system has been a huge success here, I am not sure if the urban growth boundary has been though. It means we are very densely populated, and buildings go up here, we do not have the sprawl so rampant as in the south and other regions of the country. With that said rail works here, many of us including myself can live and walk to these stations. I live in a area called gresham station, a development built in and around a station, with condos, apts, health clubs and various stores and businesses. However, parking spaces are so limited, I barely drive my chevy pickup for fear I will not find a parking space when I return home. This is becoming a common problem all over the area here. It appears it is intentional, build all this light rail, but limit parking spaces in housing areas, therefore people will not own a vehicle and ride the trains, the buses, the streetcars, and now the new cable car line. I am all for transit, and use it almost everyday, or walk to where I want to go if its practical, however I would like the option of using my vehicle also. I hope Charlotte will find a way to have both, control the sprawl, build a decent rail system, and extend it as quickly as possible, educate the population on the need and importance of getting people out of their cars in large metro areas. But also give people the option of owning and using a vehicle when they need to. That is a little insight into Portland, we are densely populated for the most part, so rail works here, right now a new line is being built than runs along the freeway to the suburbs in the south metro region. Charlotte is much more spread out than we are, it will be interesting to see how the planners there deal with that issue when constucting the rail lines, and getting people out of their cars. People here do park at park and rides and take the trains, it doesn't seem to be a problem here. I take the train from my home to the airport where I work, and I don't miss the miserable drive at all, its relaxing to sit and read and take a gaze out the window at the traffic on the fwy, and know I don't have to sit in it. I hope it works for charlotte.
Yes, the lack of a defined area, or Urban Growth Boundary, in Charlotte has definitely caught my attention. I moved from Portland recently, and when I bought my first house in 1998, it literally backed up to the Urban Growth Boundary. I knew that couldn't last, and it hasn't, but there is a regional government that makes decisions on where best to expand the UGB and add land that can be built on without all the sprawl. Unfortunately in Portland, the rail lines only currently run east to west, though they are adding a north-south line soon. A better plan would be one that looks like DC, with "spokes" emanating from the center of the city out to various suburbs. As much as I liked the idea of containing sprawl, guess what happened in Portland as a result? Land became ridiculously expensive inside the Urban Growth Boundary. The less land you have to build on, the more that land's worth increases. Lot sizes were about 5000 sq feet in new home communities. It is a balancing act, affordable housing vs. sprawl.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 PM

70 posts, read 376,202 times
I'm also a Portland resident....but moving to Charlotte this year. Portland's light rail is wonderful, clean, safe....and is used by all types of folks. It is often crowded so I know it is getting good use. A significant portion of downtown is free to ride at all times which is great since parking is not fun. That does not mean that it wasn't plagued by criticism along the way. It seems they were always over budget or over time schedule. However, it is a BIG job and those things should be expected. The North line has been in operation for almost 2 years....and they are currently building a downtown street car that runs North/South.....this will replace a major bus line.

I'm hoping that Charlotte gets on track with the light rail. It has the potential to be great. Even if YOU would rather be in your car driving, let someone else ride the train and get them off the road so that you can get home/work faster!

Of course, for those penny pinchers, Portland has one of the highest gas prices in the nation because we are a full service state, meaning, it is ILLEGAL to pump your own gas. Yeah, I know....weird. I don't know if I even remember how to pump gas........or pay sales tax for that matter (no sales tax in Oregon)! Ha!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 AM

515 posts, read 1,037,079 times
The problem with the Charlotte light rail is that they placed it in a very industrial location and you can't get to it...Charlotte has very limited east/west connectivity in the south...I wonder what Lancaster/Polk/South Blvd will look like when it opens, especially at Pineville Mathews, that intersection is a mess now...

Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 PM

8 posts, read 18,711 times
i like the idea of the light rail
i go to UNCC and I dont have a car, so I take the CATS bus everyday.
i prefer riding the bus than driving, cuz I can sleep, read a newspaper/book, or enjoy the view, instead of having to pay constant attention while driving to other cars, lanes, and lights.

I live very close to the light rail here on south boulevard, so I can get to college faster.
I wish that the light rail to UNCC would be implemented soon, but sadly it will be finished a year after I graduate lol =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte