Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 AM

32 posts, read 112,915 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Me and my family made another trip down to Union County this weekend and we decided to buy a house in Taylor Glenn. When we came down last summer Taylor Glenn was our favorite and we really wanted to buy there. But, things changed and now we have my wifes grandmother coming down with us so we needed a house with 2 master bedrooms. One on the first floor and one on the second. So we were leaning towards Westport homes in Crismark.

They have the Waterford II and the Alexander II which fit our needs. We went there first and spent hours. Everyone was nice, but it was really one of the builders supervisors that did most of the work. I think his name was Tom. He took us to to all different models under different stages of build and explained everything to us and showed us the lots the houses would fit on. He explained some needed a crawl space because of the grading, etc. They didn't have many lots left and we weren't really happy with the ones they had. Some times the house had to be pushed back so far you had hardly any backyard and a big front yard. Well with twin boys and 2 dogs we want a yard. Crismark was a bit to hilly and too many trees.

Then our buyers agent said that Bonterra has a 2 master floor plan in Taylor Glenn. My wife and I were so excited to go back there. Bonterra has the Oakmont II, which we didn't receive the floorplan when we were there last year. We went there and fell in love with the community all over again as well as the Oakmont II. We also saw a lot we loved which is over twice the size of what we have here on Long Island and will be mostly backyard. There are already houses on both sides and the neighbors are nice. The lot is fairly flat with no trees and backs up to a privacy burrow. We couldn't be happier to sign the contract and will hopefully be down there by January.

I want to thank everyone who gave me info on the area, on Crismark, etc. But now I have some more questions on Taylor Glenn.

1. We obviously found Sun Valley Middle School and High School, but, where is Shiloh Elementary? We couldn't find it.
2. What fire department supports that area and where is the closest firehouse? I am a volunteer firefighter here in New York and would like to continue down there.

I am sure I will come up with more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 AM

44 posts, read 234,147 times
Shiloh Elementary is located on Rogers Road (just off of Wesley-Chapel Stouts Road where the middle and high schools were located). There is a light at the intersection, and, coming from Taylor Glenn, you would make a right turn onto it. Shiloh comes in on your left about 1/2 mile up the road.
FYI, Shiloh is a year-round elementary school who has just begun classes for the 2007-2008 school year.
Unfortunately, I do not have information regarding fire departments (I think the Stallings FD supports the area, but I am not positive).

Good luck to you, we left Long Island two months ago ourselves.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,051 times
I too am from Long Island and was a volly. What department were you a member of? Luckily where I am located I have my choice of two houses that I can respond to, unfortunatly none seem to operate a tower ladder. Ahh well, at least the one that I am leaning toward does have a heavy rescue.
If you are within responding distance to Stallings your in luck. I am almost 100% sure it is the firehouse I saw that looks like they have a pretty new and modern facility. Stay safe and stay low! Good luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Hey Neo. I sent you a PM.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,872 times
Year round school? Ouch, are they going to change that anytime soon?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 PM

They say the kids there like it, because rather then get the whole summer off they get like 3 weeks between each quarter or something like that. I think it is a good idea when it comes to vacationing as a family because you can go at more off peak times. But the middle school and high school are traditional. So if you have kids in both schools it could screw up your schedule.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer88 View Post
They say the kids there like it, because rather then get the whole summer off they get like 3 weeks between each quarter or something like that. I think it is a good idea when it comes to vacationing as a family because you can go at more off peak times. But the middle school and high school are traditional. So if you have kids in both schools it could screw up your schedule.
Interesting, I think Ill call the school to verify the vacation time they get. Congrats on the house. Fellow LI'er here too.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:53 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,146 times
Good choice. A lot of experience with that builder and community. Nothing but positive things to say!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Ok i just called the school. They go to school the same amount of days as other schools but they break it a bit different is all. They said if I go to the Union County Public School website I can get the breakdown of time off.

By the way they start the day very early - 7:15 am

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM

24 posts, read 88,194 times
Smile Welcome!

Welcome to the community! I too live in Taylor Glenn and know why you love it so much. The word around the community is that the new elem. school being built behind Shiloh will be opened as traditional and this neighborhood is lotted to go there. As far as fire stations, I believe there is one on Old Monroe/Old Charlotte heading towards Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte