U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 06:17 PM

33 posts, read 272,130 times

Advertisements

Now that I've gotten some great advice from this forum on relocating to Charlotte and finding an apartment, I wondered if anyone out there could tell me of local papers/websites that advertise jobs in the Charlotte area?

We are 27 and 28 year old unmarried couple, looking to relocate to Charlotte sometime after January 1, 2008 -- trying to figure out if we should try for jobs before we leave NYC, or first find the neighborhood we we want live in and then look for jobs nearby. We're considering uptown, Elizabeth, Myers Park, Dilworth, Plaza-Midwood areas -- anywhere that's near the arts/nightlife/funky shopping, etc. and anywhere with access to parks/recreation.

I know Charlotte is mostly known for business jobs, but both of us are in the arts (he works in a management office for commercial theatre; I work as a grant writer/fundraiser for a non-profit) -- best places to look for arts jobs locally? (Or non-profit jobs in general?) I know of the Charlotte Observer; are there other local papers/sites that would advertise these kinds of positions?

Beyond the arts, I'm even looking into jobs that involve youth/education or writing/editing/journalism -- is there a specific part of town where a lot of these orgs are? Since neither of us are likely to take a job working at a big corporation anytime soon, I'd hate to find a great apartment smack in the middle of the financial district, only to commute 45 minutes away for an arts, non-profit or education job!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 06:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,643,932 times
You might want to try these organizations

The Actor's Theatre of Charlotte If you enjoy comedy that is wild and raucous, drama that is bold and insightful, and musicals that stir both your soul and funny- one, then Actor’s Theatre is the place to be

Afro-American Cultural Center Exists to present, preserve and promote African American art, culture and history for the education and enlightenment of all.

Arts & Science Council Charlotte- Mecklenburg's primary source of information regarding the cultural community

Carolina Voices Music inspires, uplifts and connects. Avolunteer choral arts organization, enriches, educates and entertains our diverse community through the quality performance of choral music

Carolinas Concert Association (http://www.carolinasconcert.org/about.htm - broken link) Sponsor, promote and present concerts featuring world-renowned performing artists and to sponsor education opportunities, which encourage an understanding and appreciation for the performing arts

CPCC Arts and Communications — Performing Arts Brings the best in Opera and Theatre to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area at affordable prices

Children's Theatre of Charlotte An organization serving children 3-18 and their families with a variety of theatrical and educational programming

Community School of the Arts Founded on a commitment to making the arts available to everyone, regardless of age, ability or financial resources

ImaginOn: The Joe & Joan Martin Center an exciting destination for families, a place where journeys of imagination begins and stories come to life!

McColl Center for Visual Art preeminent artists' community.

North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center You can get all the best of the performing arts without buying a plane ticket to the Big Apple

North Carolina Dance Theatre Finely tuned artists who bring passion and personality to every performance.

Theatre Charlotte volunteer-based community theatre dedicated to creating outstanding theatre opportunities relevant to the people of the Charlotte region.

Good Luck

Old 08-20-2007, 03:02 AM

94 posts, read 340,490 times
As someone who worked at a non-profit cultural site in Charlotte, my best advice is to send around your resume as widely as possible and not necessarily expect that all the jobs will be advertised. For instance, I got my job six months after I sent the resume in - they did not have an opening at the time, but when they needed to hire the first thing they did was look through the stack of resumes they had already received and never actually advertised for the position. Check the websites of individual groups or sites, as that is often the most inexpensive and easy way of advertising for organizations. I've also noticed that organizations advertise on careerbuilder.com frequently.

Since your background is in grants writing, I've found that many places in Charlotte hire people to do that on a freelance/contract basis (particularly around the time of the big grants cycles, like the Arts & Science Council Basic Operating Grants which are typically due in early March, or around the NEH cycles). The Arts and Science Council and ArtsTeach are two of the largest non-profit cultural funders in the area, and they may be able to help point you in the right direction.

In terms of area, there is a hub activity in the Uptown area, but there are also plenty of sites outside of Uptown. If you did choose to move close to Uptown in the Dilworth or Elizabeth area, the good news would be that at least you would be commuting against the traffic if you worked further out of town.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 AM

This is great advice -- thanks! Particularly helpful to know of the grant cycles and big government funders out there. I've written grants in CT and NY, and beyond the National Endowment for the Arts (or Humanities, if you're not performing arts), the funders and councils at the state, regional and city level are all different depending on locale...so that's great to know.

I've been thinking of freelance grant writing, but the idea of freelance (ie. no benefits or regular paychecks) scares me...in NYC I make in the high $30s but am able to save NO money. In NC, I was hoping to be able to save for things like a home down payment, but even with rent a few hundred lower a month, I'm nervous about being able to save without an equivalent salary...and nervous that Charlotte's job market is limited for my area of expertise (I mean, I know it's bigger than most, but for guaranteed and competitive employment in the arts, you gotta be in NYC).

Another question: we'd like to find an apartment we love first and foremost, because I think the jobs won't happen first -- we'll be searching for both from NYC, and finding an apartment in a few days is one thing, but I don't anticipate finding our jobs in a few days!! We've only ever rented by owner, in small houses that need apartments filled fast because the owners depend on the rent -- in Charlotte, we'd be looking at town homes/condos managed by companies and shown by agents, with units that are in high demand. Do the companies need proof of employment before units like this are rented out? Because I have a feeling we won't have that yet...

Advice? And thanks to all!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:51 PM

64 posts, read 353,403 times
Yeah, I wish someone had warned us about the proof of employment thing before we got down here... we're in the business of forging some stuff now to get into a place... not exactly how I like to do things. We have enough saved up for an entire years rent plus a few thousand on top of that & are still having trouble. I spoke to another woman who has been self employed for the last few years & is running into similar problems here.

For the last 4 yrs I've also been renting from individual owners (who by & large have been some of the most awful people I've ever had to know & deal with so I've resorted to friends as fake references). It's ridiculous really. Especially since I've always left my rentals in flawless condition. Oh well.

When my fiance and I were going to apply together, they expected EACH of us to have jobs and to be making 3 or 4 times the rental amount. Not combined, each. So I'm applying solo now & when we get married, I'll just move him in officially I guess.

I'm not trying to scare you, just make sure you ask specific questions when you call the rental companies up. Ask lots of companies lots of questions, don't let them tell you to just apply & see. Look into having someone else cosign maybe... Charlotte ain't like other parts of the country in this regard & it's been a big headache for us.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoneri View Post
Yeah, I wish someone had warned us about the proof of employment thing before we got down here... we're in the business of forging some stuff now to get into a place... not exactly how I like to do things. We have enough saved up for an entire years rent plus a few thousand on top of that & are still having trouble. I spoke to another woman who has been self employed for the last few years & is running into similar problems here.
Wow -- thanks for this info. This could be a problem -- but don't people relocate all the time before securing employment? It's not like we can't show them pay stubs of what we were making in NYC (proving our pay scales)...It's hard to think that most young people in their 20's come to Charlotte with their employment already completely secured.

Does anyone else out there have thoughts on the issue of how to get a lease without a job? Any other out of towners gone through this??

Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM

29 posts, read 93,557 times
Default Leasing with no job

When I moved to Charlotte I was able to rent a brand new home without showing proof of income. It was a private owner rather than a apartment complex or management company, so that may be the difference. Money Talks!
Hope your move works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte