Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 AM

15,370 posts, read 12,712,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I would say there are numerous black NBA and NFL players that are very privileged. 'Limitations', just like the drinking fountains back in the day were limited to whites, or limited to blacks.

The time has come to stop these 'black only' events, schools, etc. Maybe 15-20 years ago, but they make little sense any more.
Numerous black NBA and NFL players? They represent .0001% of the black population. They do something only a chosen gifted few can do....

There is no such thing as a black only school. Whites can go to these colleges and get minority scholarships. They are no more black only than a places like U of Alabama or U of Mississippi. These schools where white only.. and I mean white ONLY stay out or get killed.

Black schools have never turned away white students. EVER!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Urban, thanks so much for both providing a bit of background about you and your wife, and for a very thought provoking post...well-written and well-said, sir

This is 2011, and I for one get juuuuust a little weary of the tempest that erupts whenever race gets put on the table...tired of the barking back and forth (LOL---I say this because I've done some of the barking myself, on occasion), the seemingly ENDLESS stereotypes and snarkiness, threads with potential being closed down, the whole 9 yards...

Listen up, all...black people are NOT all saggy-pants wearing, gold-grill smiling, gun-toting foul-mouthed career criminals, who spring forth full-grown from their mother's foreheads draped in red-black-and green jumpsuits, with an AK-47 in one hand and a Molotov cocktail in the other, screaming 'KILL WHITEY!!!'

And white people are NOT all racist rednecks, flying Confederate flags from their monster trucks, with Klan cards in their wallets, with an inbred hatred of anyone who isn't white...

Everyone get that? Enough BS stereotypes for you? Good...as I said in antother thread elsewhere, I'm known to be impatient and a tad hotheaded, but I get tired of feeling like I always have to 'have my fists up' (in a defensive posture) I'm getting old, and my arms are getting tired...

And to address the thread topic, I think young Mr Agnew would have been better served by, instead of creating the now-incendiary "Black Card", creating instead a LIST of those black-owned businesses, if one doesn't already exist, so that ALL people can patronize them, creating positive word-of-mouth and generating sales, so that a dang Black Card wouldn't even have to be a thought...

But then, the cycle would start over again, because of folks perceptions---'I don't care if the food IS good...I'm not going into THAT neighborhood to eat it!'...picture now, if you will, a dog continuing to chase his tail, never quite catching it, and running and spinning himself into exhaustion, and I think you get most of my point above...
I agree.. but even if Agnew created a list we would still hear complaints because it was done out of frustration with the Epicenter.

Like someone said earlier... this black card will have no impact on most people's every day lives but that won't stop them from being.

Reading some of these post it's obvious people (myself included) have a hard time letting go of past wrongs or perceived wrongs in their life.

"Someone has to take the blame... and it damn sure won't be the individual or me" type of thinking trumps all. Just because one person or one incident didn't sit well with doesn't mean ALL of one race feels one way or another.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,406,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lastly, people are prejudice no matter what race, I'm sure the first day you arrived at the in-laws (guess who's coming to dinner), everything was all peaches and cream.
Not accurate at all (yet the movie was funny though). At any rate, racism is something that any ethnic group can have; which is why a "black card" just makes things worse IMO.

I often think about the Chinese restaurants that seem to thrive no matter where they go. It isn't "real" Chinese food (it is an American-Chinese thing) but the food is good; therefore the business model works. It is my opinion that "black businesses" should just work on being good. That way, no "black cards" are needed. FWIW, there are good black owned businesses in Charlotte (think Simmons and Mert's Heart and Soul; GREAT food!!!). My only issue is that many of them segregate themselves to only the west side (which is where the news story's location was shot from). Notice that Mert's and Simmons both run successful uptown businesses.

Now, I don't have a problem with the westside (grew up there, and I still play basketball there). However, I do have a problem with the "westside mentality" that some folks tend to have there (the "us" vs. "them" mentality). Folks from up north (like my mom) call it the "slave mentality" (harsh words, but true to an extent).

To me, the "black card" idea reeks of the slave mentality and that is my opinion until proven otherwise. There is no faster way to demote black owned businesses than to segregate them from the masses with this crazy race-based discount card.

Try going to a Chinese Restaurant asking for a discount on anything lol. Not gonna happen; yet the business model thrives. THAT's my point.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,847,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not to get too far off topic, but as an ex-West Virginian, I personally know of a majority white HBCU within that state.
http://highbridnation.com/2008/01/24...r-hbcu-status/

Anyways, this "black card" issue IMO just goes to show what our society has become. This is the sort of thing that promotes the "us" vs. "them" mentality that divides Nations (and most importantly, it divides the human race).

I can recall a trip my wife and I took to the "Juneteenth" festival in Charlotte's Independence park. First of all, I play basketball at that particular park with "the fellas" quite often, so when I saw the festival going on, I thought "cool!!! let's check it out". I already had a small background on what Juneteenth was about, but I had never actually been to a Juneteenth festival. I was pleased to see folks from other races in attendance. However, I got the impression from some of the vendors that I (a black male) was NOT welcomed there with my wife (a white female). Most vendors were cool, but some just simply were not (and this much was VERY obvious).

So my question is this: Does our "black card" promoting friend represent the "cool" side of black Charlotte (like most vendors at the festival); or does he represent the "us" vs. "them" types?

To me, this is very important; because if I am to support this man's idea, I must know what type of man he is. Also, I wonder what would happen if my wife decided to open up a business. Would her business be excluded from the "black card" because she is white? Is my household "less than black" because not all members of said household are black?

I mean, if we REALLY want to get technical, I didn't see a single "black person" on that video at all. Most of the humans I saw were extremely "brown". I say this because I am MUCH darker than what passes for "black" in our society; so much darker that some (not all) of the more "brown" blacks actually make fun of my more "African" appearance (which is another thread topic itself).

My point in this little rant is to show how stupid this race issue in America has become. YES, there is racism in this world; but a "black card" is NOT the answer. Like others have stated; this only fuels the interest in creating a "white card" (the card that would help my wife's business).
Urban, I think that a minority-based card with a name other than "black card" would be an excellent idea. Female-owned businesses are considered minority businesses because banks refused to make the necessary loans well after equal opportunity laws were passed.

I think that a simple small business card that included all small businesses, regardless of race would be the best idea, but if it is going to be minority based, to narrow it to one of multiple groups seems short-sighted & limiting.

If you decide to do your other thread, let me know if it's on another board. I've had many conversations on that topic &, believe me, there's a white version of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,406,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've had many conversations on that topic &, believe me, there's a white version of it.
I know. My wife is a pale and slightly freckled Irish/German American. The more tanned/darker white races gives her hell for it (but YES, I should start that thread huh).

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,380,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I agree, the term african-american can be confusing if you're not from america. But in america, we've come to accept the fact that african-american is synonomous with black american.
I would think that is offensive to non africans or non americans. It's disregarding their nationality and lumping them into a group they are not. It's like calling everyone with slanted eyes a Chinese-American, even if they are from Japan or just happen to be visiting America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Numerous black NBA and NFL players? They represent .0001% of the black population. They do something only a chosen gifted few can do....

There is no such thing as a black only school. Whites can go to these colleges and get minority scholarships. They are no more black only than a places like U of Alabama or U of Mississippi. These schools where white only.. and I mean white ONLY stay out or get killed.

Black schools have never turned away white students. EVER!!!
I agree. Why are people opposed to any group trying to help themselves, by promoting their services, providing individualized education, having associations, etc. It's a good thing to do for yourself. Nobody is criticizing Jesuit Universities.

I have to say, I do hate when the race card is played, on either side.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 AM

179 posts, read 400,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This is the dumbest comment I have heard thus far. Don't speak for white people if you aren't one.... it makes you sound foolish.

Have you ever been on an HBCU campus? There are white people there and they are on scholarship. Have you looked at Howard University's Grad program? Plenty of whites graduate from their Grad program.

If you really are Hispanic you have no room to talk.... there is a % of Hispanics that don't know or care to learn the English language and another % that aren't even here legally. A Hispanic questioning HBCU's?

Telemundo, Univision... these stations are in Spanish.... in America. Whites, Blacks, Asians, etc. can't even understand what these stations are saying but you have the nerve to question why Black's have colleges? Unreal....
No, i never bothered to look up history about black universities, i didn't know they were established when blacks where not allowed in a regular school, and i really don't care. And i am not speaking for white people, i'm sharing what I, myself have seen. Have you been to a high school cafeteria lately? 90% of black students sit on one side of the cafeteria, and most of them talk crap about every white student that walks by. Just because i'm Hispanic doesn't mean i don't know about racism.

And what does a a percentage of Hispanics not knowing English or being legal how to do with this? Are you Homeland Security? There is lots of Hispanics that achieve more than people that are born here. I have room to talk, i live here, married to a white woman, and have a White/Hispanic son.

Last edited by Touge07; 10-04-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,720,307 times
Dang folks.

We have sure given Mr Agnew more than the typical 15 Minutes of Fame, lol.

I think Mr. Agnew came up with a brilliant idea - as far as supporting minority businesses. As a business person, tho, I am wondering how this is gonna be self-sustaining as far as the bottom line and profitability. Also, I have a hard time understanding how Mr. Agnew's business could be not-for-profit and sustain itself . . . someone has to make some money somewhere on this proposal, lol.

Yes, increased sales, possibly, for black-owned businesses. Nothing wrong with that! This is simply another way of advertising those businesses and hopefully, bringing in new customers who will become repeat customers.

Mr. Agnew is using his infamous situation at the EpiCenter in a positive way. Nothing wrong with that, either! Even if the whole thing were a publicity stunt . . . just shows me he knows how to use social media. However, I don't think what occurred at the Epi was designed purposefully to promote this venture.

I just wonder how it will work as far as being financially feasible for all involved. And I don't see how this could be construed as racist . . . ANYONE can use the card! Seems like a good way to market a person's business, to me (as long as the $$$ makes sense).

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post
No, i never bothered to look up history about black universities, i didn't know they were established when blacks where not allowed in a regular school, and i really don't care. And i am not speaking for white people, i'm sharing what I, myself have seen. Have you been to a high school cafeteria lately? 90% of black students sit on one side of the cafeteria, and most of them talk crap about every white student that walks by. Just because i'm Hispanic doesn't mean i don't know about racism.

And what does a a percentage of Hispanics not knowing English or being legal how to do with this? Are you Homeland Security? There is lots of Hispanics that achieve more than people that are born here. I have room to talk, i live here, married to a white woman, and have a White/Hispanic son.
If you don't care about the history of black colleges don't speak on them. It sounds ignorant to "not care" about the history of an issue you brought up. You don't want the truth you just want your opinion to be the truth and fortunately it's not.

I have no desire or need to go to a school cafeteria but I know enough kids to know that race isn't nearly as important to them as it is to the older generation. Sure you have a few kids who are holding onto what their parents have told them but most are open minded individuals. They are still kids though so I wouldn't put too much value in cafeteria trash talk. It's what kids do.. whether white black, fat, skinny, rich or poor.. kids will make fun of it.

If you have a % of Hispanics who don't know English or aren't here legally I think it has a lot to do with a conversation about being inclusive. I'm pretty sure those illegals and spanish speaking hispanics aren't spending a lot of time integrating themselves into other racial groups. They stick with their own... and there is nothing wrong with that. I just find it odd for a Hispanic to talk about blacks segregating.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 10-04-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not accurate at all (yet the movie was funny though). At any rate, racism is something that any ethnic group can have; which is why a "black card" just makes things worse IMO.

I often think about the Chinese restaurants that seem to thrive no matter where they go. It isn't "real" Chinese food (it is an American-Chinese thing) but the food is good; therefore the business model works. It is my opinion that "black businesses" should just work on being good. That way, no "black cards" are needed. FWIW, there are good black owned businesses in Charlotte (think Simmons and Mert's Heart and Soul; GREAT food!!!). My only issue is that many of them segregate themselves to only the west side (which is where the news story's location was shot from). Notice that Mert's and Simmons both run successful uptown businesses.

Now, I don't have a problem with the westside (grew up there, and I still play basketball there). However, I do have a problem with the "westside mentality" that some folks tend to have there (the "us" vs. "them" mentality). Folks from up north (like my mom) call it the "slave mentality" (harsh words, but true to an extent).

To me, the "black card" idea reeks of the slave mentality and that is my opinion until proven otherwise. There is no faster way to demote black owned businesses than to segregate them from the masses with this crazy race-based discount card.

Try going to a Chinese Restaurant asking for a discount on anything lol. Not gonna happen; yet the business model thrives. THAT's my point.
That doesn't make any sense... black people without cars who live in west charlotte aren't coming downtown to spend money at a black business.

These owners did a great thing by putting a business in an area where most black people live.

You have to remember blacks aren't moving their houses to West Charlotte. They live there and the businesses and money left over time. Everyone isn't in a position to move and a lot of people like living in their homes even though west charlotte has issues.

What's the point of a black owned business in Ballantyne? West Charlotte needs any kind of business they can get and most will be black owned or cater to blacks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte