Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times

Advertisements

One tiny bright spot is the Jobs Act that has been sent to Congress for approval. I am not, by any means, political, and am not wanting this to be a political statement. However, since Obama presented just two of the points, there has been more interest and more buzz around my son's resume and repeated applications for things than there has been in over 2 years. What were those two points? The $4K tax break that a company can get if they hire someone that has been unemployed for more than 6 months & making it a crime to discriminate against the unemployed.

My thoughts.

Companies will only hire people if ...if... they are in a growing pattern and are making profits. How many companies are growing/expanding and making money in the USA today? I think we will find out very quickly "why" we are in this slow job market postion we are in today, when the facts present themselves.

Obama Jobs Bill
We must be foolish to think the government is going to create jobs in a free entreprise market. It sounds to me like they want to control more of the the way taxes are billed for.

Here's a very simple approach to getting americans back to work.

If an illegal "non documented" alien is caught working as a laborer and getting paid without being taxed - the business owner goes to jail for a long time. How many jobs do you think we have just created?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
One tiny bright spot is the Jobs Act that has been sent to Congress for approval. I am not, by any means, political, and am not wanting this to be a political statement. However, since Obama presented just two of the points, there has been more interest and more buzz around my son's resume and repeated applications for things than there has been in over 2 years. What were those two points? The $4K tax break that a company can get if they hire someone that has been unemployed for more than 6 months & making it a crime to discriminate against the unemployed.

My thoughts.

Companies will only hire people if ...if... they are in a growing pattern and are making profits. How many companies are growing/expanding and making money in the USA today? I think we will find out very quickly "why" we are in this slow job market postion we are in today, when the facts present themselves.

Obama Jobs Bill
We must be foolish to think the government is going to create jobs in a free entreprise market. It sounds to me like they want to control more of the the way taxes are billed for.

Here's a very simple approach to getting americans back to work.

If an illegal "non documented" alien is caught working as a laborer and getting paid without being taxed - the business owner goes to jail for a long time. How many jobs do you think we have just created?

The problem with America is our dependence on consumption... hard to consume when you are broke.

The "free market" has talked about creating a billion jobs once govt is out the way and taxes are cut. We deregulate and companies forget how to act and need bail outs while hiring illegals... lol.

People need to create their own job. Coastal Girl is making good money. If she wanted to she could take the next step and add another sitter or 2 and make even more money while creating a job or 2. Sure there are taxes and other things she has to do to be legit but this is how America will get back on it's feet.

These companies are making more $$$ with less workers... a lot of them won't hire anytime soon.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I am not, by any means, political, and am not wanting this to be a

However, the interest that has been generated is now in a holding pattern because companies are waiting to see if this passes. I really think that this will help a lot of people. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Do I agree with everything in it? No. But, those two points are spot-on and will help people get hired.
As always, entitled to your opinion, I disagree. In fact as OP I asked for ideas such as Coastal posted. I would hope this tread doesn't become a platform for policital statements

Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 AM

525 posts, read 899,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The problem with America is our dependence on consumption... hard to consume when you are broke.

The "free market" has talked about creating a billion jobs once govt is out the way and taxes are cut. We deregulate and companies forget how to act and need bail outs while hiring illegals... lol.

People need to create their own job. Coastal Girl is making good money. If she wanted to she could take the next step and add another sitter or 2 and make even more money while creating a job or 2. Sure there are taxes and other things she has to do to be legit but this is how America will get back on it's feet.

These companies are making more $$$ with less workers... a lot of them won't hire anytime soon.
Good luck the only reason she is getting work is because she is not charging taxes, if she hires employees she not only have to pay taxes but workmans comp and insurance and advertising. Lets face it the only reason she is making money is because she is breaking the law. Furthermore lets say she does all of that stuff the next high school girl or illegal will be there to take her place.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Although not in Charlotte as yet, there is a group, called TaskRabbit. Get pretty much anything done by awesome people | TaskRabbit
People have jobs in many categories that need to be completed and you bid on the job. You can sign up and get background screened in adavance, so when it opens in the Charlotte market, you will be cleared and ready to bid.

Thanks bs13690, I like the Swagbucks link.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Good luck the only reason she is getting work is because she is not charging taxes, if she hires employees she not only have to pay taxes but workmans comp and insurance and advertising. Lets face it the only reason she is making money is because she is breaking the law. Furthermore lets say she does all of that stuff the next high school girl or illegal will be there to take her place.
and this is America... there is always someone who wants to take your place or do it for less money.

maybe she is breaking the law but so does every other company in America... until she makes an insane amount she will be fine.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Although not in Charlotte as yet, there is a group, called TaskRabbit. Get pretty much anything done by awesome people | TaskRabbit
People have jobs in many categories that need to be completed and you bid on the job. You can sign up and get background screened in adavance, so when it opens in the Charlotte market, you will be cleared and ready to bid.

Thanks bs13690, I like the Swagbucks link.
That site is awesome. Heck, that could take the UE number by 1% !!! or.....

Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I know several folks who have started Ebay and/or Etsy accounts and are making money off 1. selling items they have or they find at garage sales and thrift stores 2. or things they craft or create. That might be one strategy to pursue in the background as a person is pursuing other strategies.

I know folks who have started cleaning services, landscaping/lawn services, dog walking/sitting/poop scooping . . . a guy is doing work for me as a handyman who has an engineering degree, but he also is really good at fixing stuff - he installed a garbage disposer for me.

You need to find something that is a marketable skill or some particular talent you have and use it to your advantage.

Someone visited my home this weekend and went on and on about the seasonal wreath on my door. I made it. They said - I would pay $40 for that! Well, the materials actually cost me about that, lol. But my point is . . . I am sure I could find a way to buy my materials at wholesale (thus keeping the cost of the product down and increasing my profit margin) - and then sell them online (Etsy or Ebay) or on consignment, or at a flea market, etc. Get creative with thinking of how to make money. Sometimes the simplest idea may end up making some decent $$$$.

And no - that wasn't a promotion for my new line of wreaths, so don't DM me asking for photos and price, LOL! I make more money with my other skills than I would making wreaths right now.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:58 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,456 times
1). Do almost anything legal to raise money on a daily basis. Laboring, cutting grass, whatever. If you meet people and can talk to them about what is going on, so much the better.

2). Join sports team. Doesn't matter what. Interact with other members, find out what they do.

3). use bars whwere people of your target employment group congregate.

- do not ask directly for jobs. Befriend people and the rest will follow.

- ask people how they got into their current job. This is usually good for half an hour
- ask what they like about their job and what they do not like - another half hour.
- ask what qualities they feel they need to do their job. You can actually guess that by now but let them talk.

If/when a job comes up, you should now be in a prime position to be reccomended by an insider.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
and this is America... there is always someone who wants to take your place or do it for less money.

maybe she is breaking the law but so does every other company in America... until she makes an insane amount she will be fine.
It would be pretty funny to ask all of my babysitting clients for 1099s at the end of the year.

I won't be replaced by a high schooler b/c I am in high demand for the very fact that I'm not a high schooler. I'm double degreed, have graduate level courses, I'm a certified early ed teacher, CPR/FA certified, perfect driving record, no criminal history, own my own home, have been married for almost 10 years and am in my mid-30s. People prefer to pay me more b/c I am more qualified and they trust me over others with their children.

The idea of starting a sitting business is interesting. I have honestly never thought of it! Just fyi, I wouldn't necessarily have to pay taxes, etc for my employees - they could be independent contractors. That only requires a 1099 from me at the end of the year. (I know this from my other freelance endeavors)

I like Ani's ideas too. Figure out what your own marketable skill is and go with it. It may not be something you want to stick with forever, but it just might be enough to get you back on your feet and put food on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte