Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times

Advertisements

Pick an age anywhere from 22-60 and you will find this is the case with so many people.It must be especially difficult with those that have moved here from out of state as they have lost a network of contacts in business and friends.

What would you do in this situation? How would you re-start? Perhaps if each of us would offer ONE suggestion as to how to bail out we might help someone. I'll start with:

Start a networking grouping in your home with ppl. that are in similar situations and hope that you might be qualified for something that someone else passed up this week.

Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:11 PM

378 posts, read 705,180 times
Hit up a bunch of temporary agencies - general jobs.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,916 times
marvel at how cheap the real estate/taxes are
live off left over money from sale of old home for a couple of months/years
miss family/can't get job, then move back home
???????
profit

Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,401,242 times
Think about becoming a correctional officer or a probation officer. I am contemplating jobs right now, and have doownloaded the application to fill out. Been in the corporate real estate business for both investment bank and the law firm and I am getting tired of the darn layoffs. I have this great four year degree in Social Work that I never utilized before, this may just be the time. Not saying that I will get the job, but it is an option. I don't think NC Dept of Corrections will be making any layoffs.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM

222 posts, read 550,461 times
Log onto craigslist and find odd jobs that you can do that will keep you afloat while you look for something real.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
take a class in tax preparation. H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt are the larger firms...you can take these classes for a couple weeks and start working after the new year till april/may.....

Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
There are plenty of places hiring. It's right before the holidays, and most places will keep you employed after the holidays if you prove yourself at work. I see Now Hiring signs all over the place lately.

I left my permanent job two years ago and have been quite comfortable and sometimes overwhelmingly busy doing different freelance jobs that allow me to make my own schedule. I tutor, babysit, pet sit, house sit, help with yardwork and occasionally cook meals for people. I've been offered permanent jobs over and over again, but I make too much money and have too much free time just doing it on my own. I've made over $2000 in the past month just from babysitting - all cash, tax free.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM

622 posts, read 1,783,464 times
Coastalgirl......I would not disclose tax free income in a public forum. Big brother may be watching!!

Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,045,691 times
Well, those things don't work for everyone. Coastal girl, I am glad that you are able to do that, but, that requires an outgoing personality; something that many people in this situation do not have.

One tiny bright spot is the Jobs Act that has been sent to Congress for approval. I am not, by any means, political, and am not wanting this to be a political statement. However, since Obama presented just two of the points, there has been more interest and more buzz around my son's resume and repeated applications for things than there has been in over 2 years. What were those two points? The $4K tax break that a company can get if they hire someone that has been unemployed for more than 6 months & making it a crime to discriminate against the unemployed.

However, the interest that has been generated is now in a holding pattern because companies are waiting to see if this passes. I really think that this will help a lot of people. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Do I agree with everything in it? No. But, those two points are spot-on and will help people get hired.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times
Find a group on Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup geared towards networking. Another way to make some extra money is to join http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/matlockfan. I get about 25 bucks a month in Amazon gift cards. It's not much but it could definitely mean a lot to someone who is already trying to stretch a buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte