Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,995 times

Advertisements

Seeing some of TamaraW's posts reminds me of what I like about our county seat in Union County - Monroe. I thought maybe we could start a post.

I don't think folks look at Monroe because when they search out GreatSchools, probably their scores look lower. One of the reasons for that is there has been a great influx of Latino population to the area (looking for affordable housing and more working class job opportunities - the poultry processing plants near Wingate, etc). Schools in that particular area have been playing catch up in teaching English As a Second Language. However, I'm seeing that this population is learning fast and now whole sections of Monroe are filled with Latino businesses. If you are looking for your favorite Latino groceries or foods, you should definitely head to Monroe!

But, old historic Monroe is just beautiful! Especially this time of the year. Monroe is a REAL town, with all of the county government buildings. I work part-time there and I sometimes take a stroll from my office building to the county courthouse and back. It is like stepping back into a Norman Rockwell painting! So beautiful in such a small town way. Friendly people, corner cafe's. Friday street concert's downtown. All sorts of festivals at Belk Tonawanda Park. A giant mix of REAL diversity.

One of these days, folks are going to find their way into Monroe and see what they have been missing. It is still a place where you can find the "old Southern hospitality."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 AM

225 posts, read 835,398 times
Default monroe

MarvinNative

I'm glad to here this about Monroe. My mailing zip is Monroe even though schools are listed as Weddington. I'm also glad you shed some light on why the test scores for schools are so low in the area. Just as one poster said before, statistics don't always explain what is happening in a school.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Magnet Schools coming to Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
MarvinNative

I'm glad to here this about Monroe. My mailing zip is Monroe even though schools are listed as Weddington. I'm also glad you shed some light on why the test scores for schools are so low in the area. Just as one poster said before, statistics don't always explain what is happening in a school.

Thanks.
Lately, a lot of good news is coming from Monroe area schools. Last fall a brand new high school magnet - Central Academy of Technology and Arts opened. Students from across Union County can apply. We recently attended their production of "Joseph's Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat."
http://cata.ucps.k12.nc.us/

Also in the news this week - possibility that Benton Heights Elementary could become an Arts Magnet. They have been partnering with the Blumenthalcenter for the Arts for several years.
http://www.blumenthalcenter.org/educ...all%202006.pdf

I have a lot of confidence in our county school superintendent - Dr. Ed Davis. He is putting a lot of fresh young leadership into some of the lower performing schools and turning them around.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,149 times
Marvinnative,

Thank you for saying what I would have loved to say but could not express eloquently, primarily because I lack the historical context!

My family is new to Monroe but we fell in love with it instantly, despite even our Realtor's best efforts to steer us elsewhere. And when I see the hits Monroe takes here on the board, I do take it personally. People really have no idea what they're missing.

I love the diversity here, the schools are NOT what people on this board make them out to be, my children are enamored of the country roads with houses that have livestock in the yard and yet we're still close enough to a real downtown.

As I've said before, the Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center was a huge attraction for us also and I faithfully pay our monthly membership.

We are fortunate enough to live in a community mixed with natives and transplants, where low turnover made establishing comps difficult and best of all, no HOA to rule our lives.

Fortunately, development has been a bit slower in Monroe when compared to some other Union County towns. Whenever I look out my kitchen bay window onto hundreds of acres of farmland I am giddy with excitement. But, already I worry about the day I come home to find a subdivision popping up in our backyard.

Everything we want and need is right here in Monroe. There's nothing pretentious about Monroe. It's down home and comfortable. Often I've thought it a good thing that many transplants stay away instead of negatively impacting the culture with their ideas of what it should be.

Thanks again for this post. It makes me feel good to see Monroe get the good press it deserves.

SL

Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Lately, a lot of good news is coming from Monroe area schools. Last fall a brand new high school magnet - Central Academy of Technology and Arts opened. Students from across Union County can apply. We recently attended their production of "Joseph's Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat."
http://cata.ucps.k12.nc.us/
We were there too! We live very close to this school. It's beautiful, and they have a lot of good things going on there.

SL

Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Ssh! Don't tell everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Marvinnative,

Thank you for saying what I would have loved to say but could not express eloquently, primarily because I lack the historical context!

My family is new to Monroe but we fell in love with it instantly, despite even our Realtor's best efforts to steer us elsewhere. And when I see the hits Monroe takes here on the board, I do take it personally. People really have no idea what they're missing.

I love the diversity here, the schools are NOT what people on this board make them out to be, my children are enamored of the country roads with houses that have livestock in the yard and yet we're still close enough to a real downtown.

As I've said before, the Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center was a huge attraction for us also and I faithfully pay our monthly membership.

We are fortunate enough to live in a community mixed with natives and transplants, where low turnover made establishing comps difficult and best of all, no HOA to rule our lives.

Fortunately, development has been a bit slower in Monroe when compared to some other Union County towns. Whenever I look out my kitchen bay window onto hundreds of acres of farmland I am giddy with excitement. But, already I worry about the day I come home to find a subdivision popping up in our backyard.

Everything we want and need is right here in Monroe. There's nothing pretentious about Monroe. It's down home and comfortable. Often I've thought it a good thing that many transplants stay away instead of negatively impacting the culture with their ideas of what it should be.

Thanks again for this post. It makes me feel good to see Monroe get the good press it deserves.

SL
I think you are right about some of us "secretly" hoping no one else finds out what we know. It is for certain that once the new development cranks up, everything will be forever changed. For me, driving from Marvin into Monroe helps me remember the way my backyard used to look. When I hear the Eastern Union County folks complain that EVERYTHING is happening on the Western side of the county, I want to say - be very careful what you wish for....

Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 PM

225 posts, read 835,398 times
Hi all,

One of the main reasons we choose to move closer to Monroe is the lack of developments. We were not looking for a Cureton, Lawson, etc. We found a small development with only about 66 houses going in. We are happy with that choice. The other areas seemed to close together for us. We hope that development doesn't catch up to Monroe too fast.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Downtown Monroe, Inc. Plans Busy Year

From the Enquirer Journal (Monroe), March 24, 2007

DMI plans busy year
MONROE

Downtown Monroe, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to the stimulating the development of the downtown business and historic districts, is presenting several new events and bringing back two popular annual events this year.

On May 18, the cartoon movie “Cars” will be shown on a giant screen on the Main Street Plaza at dusk. “Cars is a very popular movie with children of all ages,” Nancy Stephen, chairwoman of Downtown Monroe, said in a press release, “and kids love to watch it again and again. It’s a great movie for the entire family and a great kickoff for this year’s street events.” The movie is free to all — just bring a chair or blanket to sit on.

Prior to the movie, children can enjoy a fun time with lots of physical activity on a climbing wall, air bounces and other kid-friendly apparatus. A nominal fee will be charged for activities. Movie snacks will be available for purchase, making the movie, well, just like a real movie.

A second movie, the always-favorite “Wizard of Oz” will be shown on Aug. 31. “Music on Main” is another new event of DMI. The Monroe Jaycees built a strong following over a number of years presenting Main Street Live in the downtown area.

“Since the Jaycees are no longer an organized club in Monroe, we didn’t want to let that enthusiasm for a street concert to die out,” Stephen said. Bands will perform free concerts in the middle of Main Street on June 28 and Sept. 27. Geared to the whole family, the concerts also feature fun activities for the children. A nominal fee will be charged for activities. Barbecue, hamburgers, hot dogs and hand-cranked ice cream will be available for pur-chase.

On June 2, DMI presents a Historic Monroe Home & Garden Tour of four homes and additional historic buildings. In addition to four historic homes, the 101-year-old CSX Depot will be open for visitation, as well as the old courthouse, built in 1886. A quilt show at the Ellen Fitzgerald Senior Center and art show at the old courthouse will highlight the day, and an old-fashioned trolley will transport visitors among the sites. Tickets are $12 for the tour.

Halloween Happenings returns to Main Street on Oct. 27 with a full day of activities, fun and food. The event kicks off with a costume contest and continues through the day with pumpkin decorating, pumpkin bowling, bobbing for apples, train rides and, yes, food.

In December, DMI again is partnering with Monroe Parks and Recreation for an Old Fashioned Tree Lighting. Thousands of area residents flocked to downtown Monroe last year for the unveiling of the city’s new 40-foot Christmas tree. This year’s event again will feature carolers, carriage rides, food and maybe even snow.

“We were stunned — happily — with the attendance at the tree lighting last year,” Stephen said. “The crowd was tremendous, and everyone had a great time.” Of course, the appearance of Santa Claus might have been a factor in the children’s enthusiasm. Santa has agreed to visit downtown Monroe again this year.

In addition to these street festivities, Downtown Monroe will sponsor its annual photography contest in May and Celebration of Trees in December.

For more information on any event, contact Downtown Monroe at (704) 292-1705.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
I am looking towards union

Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
I think you are right about some of us "secretly" hoping no one else finds out what we know.
Well, fwiw, we've spoken with three NC residents this week (living in Indian Trail, Dilworth, and Birkdale Village, respectively) and all warned us away from Monroe. 'Don't move your family there!'

So maybe Monroe is still secret great living.

I like the Main Street revitalisation project going on in Monroe (and elsewhere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte