Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,791 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to visit Charlotte the first few days of October to see if I would like to relocate there. I am from Milwaukee, WI and relocated to Dallas, TX about a month ago. But now that I am here, I am not sure I want to make this my permanent home, but I know for sure that I do not want to return to Milwaukee. Charlotte has always been on my radar, but I have never taken the opportunity to visit.

I have always wanted to move and Charlotte, Atlanta, and Dallas were my top picks. Time hasn't been right for me before, but now that it is I chose Dallas because I have family here that I can stay with until I can learn the area and decided where I want to live. But, Dallas is too suburban and everything is soooo spread out. Plus it isn't beautiful, it's flat, dry, prairie-like. I like the rolling hills and big trees feel like Atlanta, but something smaller. I have always heard that Charlotte is like a smaller Atlanta. Plus, I have family in Atlanta that would only be a drive away vs. a plane ride away.

I am wondering what I should check out while I am there. I have heard that the South Park area is nice has sort of what I am looking for, and I should look at that area if I decide to move to Charlotte. I have a 5 year old, so schools are important (preferably Montessori). I am self-employed and work from home, so work isn't an issue. I just want a nice area, nicer weather than Milwaukee, in a nice city/town with lots of culture and character, that is like a middle ground between completely city and completely suburban. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcclen View Post
Hi,

I am planning to visit Charlotte the first few days of October to see if I would like to relocate there. I am from Milwaukee, WI and relocated to Dallas, TX about a month ago. But now that I am here, I am not sure I want to make this my permanent home, but I know for sure that I do not want to return to Milwaukee. Charlotte has always been on my radar, but I have never taken the opportunity to visit.

I have always wanted to move and Charlotte, Atlanta, and Dallas were my top picks. Time hasn't been right for me before, but now that it is I chose Dallas because I have family here that I can stay with until I can learn the area and decided where I want to live. But, Dallas is too suburban and everything is soooo spread out. Plus it isn't beautiful, it's flat, dry, prairie-like. I like the rolling hills and big trees feel like Atlanta, but something smaller. I have always heard that Charlotte is like a smaller Atlanta. Plus, I have family in Atlanta that would only be a drive away vs. a plane ride away.

I am wondering what I should check out while I am there. I have heard that the South Park area is nice has sort of what I am looking for, and I should look at that area if I decide to move to Charlotte. I have a 5 year old, so schools are important (preferably Montessori). I am self-employed and work from home, so work isn't an issue. I just want a nice area, nicer weather than Milwaukee, in a nice city/town with lots of culture and character, that is like a middle ground between completely city and completely suburban. Help!

Well, Charlotte too is very "suburban" and "spread out", but not nearly as much as Atlanta or Dallas, so it may work for you .

We'd need to know your budget for housing in order to make suggestions on where to look.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
If you don't like Dallas, you won't like Charlotte. It's a lot like Irving with the Dallas central business district and Plano tossed in. The only difference, something isn't always burning. Given what you said, my recommendation is to stay in Texas.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have to agree with FREW -- if you don't like Dallas/Ft. Worth area . . . I would be surprised if you like Charlotte. I find the two areas VERY comparable. Before we moved to Charlotte, we had narrowed down our search to two areas: metros of Charlotte and Dallas. I am a native of this region and we had spent a lot of time in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (especially Plano, Frisco) so I feel very confident in saying - if you don't like the communities around Dallas, I would be very surprised if you fell in love with Charlotte.

You REALLY need to spend some time here b/f deciding to jump ship and head to Charlotte. It may be exactly what you had in mind! But what a sad decision if you uproot again and find you have landed in Dallas Revisited.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Dallas and Charlotte are comparable, though Dallas does have twice the population AND Charlotte is MUCH prettier (and I like Dallas too).

Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, Charlotte too is very "suburban" and "spread out", but not nearly as much as Atlanta or Dallas, so it may work for you .

We'd need to know your budget for housing in order to make suggestions on where to look.
My budget is a max rent of $1500 for a one bedroom with a loft or a two bedroom. But, I'd prefer to stay closer to the $1000 mark.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have to agree with FREW -- if you don't like Dallas/Ft. Worth area . . . I would be surprised if you like Charlotte. I find the two areas VERY comparable. Before we moved to Charlotte, we had narrowed down our search to two areas: metros of Charlotte and Dallas. I am a native of this region and we had spent a lot of time in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (especially Plano, Frisco) so I feel very confident in saying - if you don't like the communities around Dallas, I would be very surprised if you fell in love with Charlotte.

You REALLY need to spend some time here b/f deciding to jump ship and head to Charlotte. It may be exactly what you had in mind! But what a sad decision if you uproot again and find you have landed in Dallas Revisited.
Thanks for the perspective. I wonder if my problem is that where my family is living now in North Richland Hills (40 minutes from Dallas) is the problem. I have been told that I need to spend more time exploring the area that is closer to Dallas.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dallas and Charlotte are comparable, though Dallas does have twice the population AND Charlotte is MUCH prettier (and I like Dallas too).
Yeah, I think Charlotte would be prettier too...I just want to visit before I get an apartment and get settled here in Dallas. I'd hate to do that and still be wondering about Charlotte in the back of mind. At least this way I can say I at least visited Charlotte before deciding.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
My budget is a max rent of $1500 for a one bedroom with a loft or a two bedroom. But, I'd prefer to stay closer to the $1000 mark.
That is doable for a nice two bedroom apt

Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think Charlotte would be prettier too...I just want to visit before I get an apartment and get settled here in Dallas. I'd hate to do that and still be wondering about Charlotte in the back of mind. At least this way I can say I at least visited Charlotte before deciding.
Do plan a visit just to check things out. That way you'll be better able to decide what to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte