U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM

37 posts, read 240,033 times

Advertisements

I'm a big sports fan, and I watch pretty much anything but golf and auto racing. I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat, and if so, have any of you become racing fans since moving to the Charlotte area, since that is the mecca of NASCAR?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 61,624,388 times
I been in relationship with someone who huge nascar fan and I had to either adapt or adapt LOL.

Best thing is hang out with one of these types and you actually learn more than you ever thought about the sport.

Rent Days of Thunder or Talledega Nights both movies was filmed here and you learn some different aspects of the sport.

I have yet to been to a race but I might get tickets for the fall race for my sweetie. I heard it alot better in person kind of sport. I also want to try the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Do I get the deep love some of the fans have... NO
But I have total respect for it now.
A sport that honors the military, Our Flag, Our National Anthem, And does a Prayer at the beginning of the Sport deserves some major props.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM

628 posts, read 1,945,622 times
It will be year in September..and the answer is a resounding NO!! It's just not my thing..cars going around in a circle all day. Tried to watch it but just can't. Give me football or baseball and hockey any day!! Fortunatly..theres DirectTV with the NFL package and MLB package.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:08 AM

4,730 posts, read 18,412,977 times
Been here six years and was an extra for Talladega Nights and still do not like it. I will occasionally watch Formula 1 road races though.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,033,096 times
perhaps going to a race will change your mind...it's an absolute blast! the tv just doesn't do the race justice.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM

4,127 posts, read 10,745,314 times
No, not a NASCAR fan here. DH watches it some.

I grew up with what I call "real racing," rally car racing, so driving around in a circle is just not my cup of tea.

Dawn

Old 08-22-2007, 12:41 PM

4,730 posts, read 18,412,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
perhaps going to a race will change your mind...it's an absolute blast! the tv just doesn't do the race justice.
I had an open mind when Talladega Nights was filming at Lowe's. Tried enjoying the races while I was there and they were interesting for about the first 5 laps. The school bus races were a lot more entertaining.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM

435 posts, read 1,729,898 times
Lived here for many years & still can't stand it. These guys get millions for going around a track....I just don't get it. People have tried to explain it, but I still don't understand the appeal. Maybe it is different in person but I'm not going to shell out my hard earned money to go find out (& then to sit in a massive traffic jam when everyone is trying to leave at the same time).

Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
It's not everyone's cup of tea but reducing NASCAR to "cars riding around in circles" is like reducing football to "guys running into eachother" or basketball to "guys trying to throw a ball through a hoop".

On the surface it may seem that any of the above statements are true but once you gain some deeper knowledge of what's really going on it gets much more interesting. It also helps if you have a favorite team.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM

182 posts, read 781,582 times
My husbad and I are HUGE NASCAR fans.
My mother just couldn't understand WHY, after being born and raised in CA, we would want to pack up and move clear across country.
So rather then look at the big picture (slower pace, spending more time with my daughter, more home smaller payment, NICER people, etc) she started telling everbody we choose to move because of NASCAR and that you haven't ever seen a race unless you've seen one in Charlotte.... OH MY GOD!!! I felt like a carni in a carnival and that I've run off to join the circus!!!
She still doesn't get it........ I love her and will miss her terribly regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte