Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. (Sorry, couldn't help but get a giggle - not laughing at your dilemma!)

We have a crazy arrangement . . . even with heat on, we have fans going. We like having windows cracked even in 20 d. weather - just can't stand not having some fresh air in the house.

We sleep w/ windows cracked in the winter and it gets really chilly in our bedroom. I love piling on the blankets and quilts.

Getting up is not as much fun . . . there is nothing charming about a cold house in the early morning!
We're the same-hate this muggy damp weather with no air.Doesn't matter how many windows I open it doesn't seem to air the house. They didn't think about through ventilation when they built it.
I also like to hear the cicadas for as long as possible-haven't heard them for a while.
If think if you put your fans in reverse when the heat is on it stops the heat hanging around at the top of the room and pushes it back down-vice versa in Summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM

359 posts, read 592,325 times
She wants it toasty

Then she wakes up sweating and throws the blankets off

Drives me nuts

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,177,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
We all like to get on the Charlotte area weather (some more then others... *ahem* jp), but it's been a good 3 weeks for me without AC or Heat!

I'm one of those walking behind the wife and kids turning off lights, appliance, unplugging chargers, etc - so it's a super nice feeling going this long without using the extra juice!

So besides testing your furnace, let's see who can last the longest without turning the heat on... I know someone with a wood burning stove will kick all our butts.

Who's used the heat already?!
I am the favorite on this one! As long as my wife doesn't cave that heat will go on as late as possible.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,245,204 times
You're all gonna lose to me. I'm fine with the house down to the 50's during the day, cooler at night under a couple blankets. Not seeing anyone right now, so no whining girlfriend to complain about being cold. I'm fine in lounge pants and a long sleeve T-shirt around the house, unless it's snowing.

I LOVE this time of year.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,177,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You're all gonna lose to me. I'm fine with the house down to the 50's during the day, cooler at night under a couple blankets. Not seeing anyone right now, so no whining girlfriend to complain about being cold. I'm fine in lounge pants and a long sleeve T-shirt around the house, unless it's snowing.

Not yet..still to warm 60's for highs 40's for lows./..perfect

Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
We're the same-hate this muggy damp weather with no air.Doesn't matter how many windows I open it doesn't seem to air the house. They didn't think about through ventilation when they built it.
I also like to hear the cicadas for as long as possible-haven't heard them for a while.
If think if you put your fans in reverse when the heat is on it stops the heat hanging around at the top of the room and pushes it back down-vice versa in Summer.
Yes! We do that "reverse switch" thing, too, w/ ceiling fans.

I believe the cicadas only "sing" when temps are in a certain range. I suspect it is too chilly for them to be out doing their thing now.

Damp weather drives me bananas.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

I love it, too, Vmax. Cool weather, color explosion, vivid blue skies . . . just about perfect.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,657,765 times
I hope to be able to go a while! We were all walking around in jackets & hats when it got really cold a couple weeks ago, sitting on the couch with blankets. I don't like being cold, but I also don't like crazy high gas bills.

I need to finish putting up our plastic storm windows before I turn on the heat, anyway. I'm disappointed - I bought the outside kind, because our cats will just tear up the inside type, but they're not clear! The package says clear, but you can't see through them at all. No way I'm spending the winter without being able to see out my windows. I'll put up the ones that go inside, and repair what the kitties attack. They make a HUGE difference in our heating bill, with this old drafty house.

I'm prepared with many fuzzy jammies, hats and blankets!

I grew up in a house that got cold at night, so that's what I'm used to: waking up to cold, then turning on the heat. I sleep really well that way - though it sure is hard to get out of those covers in the morning!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,140,345 times
Ani, you are not alone with the window-cracking. We keep a window in our bedroom cracked year round. There is something about not only the air moving, but the smell of fresh air as well. Especially in the winter. Ahhhhhh so delicious and chilly!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Ani, you are not alone with the window-cracking. We keep a window in our bedroom cracked year round. There is something about not only the air moving, but the smell of fresh air as well. Especially in the winter. Ahhhhhh so delicious and chilly!
Yep! Glad to know I am not "the only one!" Gotta have my fresh air . . . I am told it really is healthier, too . . . our homes can become somewhat polluted in the winter, even tho we vacuum religiously and change our filters . . . Good think we don't mind wearing some warm clothing inside, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte