U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM

12,559 posts, read 30,507,566 times

Advertisements

What are the differences? Which has a historic downtown with a lot of events going on? Which has all the shopping and day to day things that you need so you don't have to leave town? Which has decent nightlife on the weekends? (rock bands, DJ) To sum it up, which town has it all so you can live, work and play all in one? Or, any other suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,548,819 times
I'm not familiar with Belmont, so I can only comment on Concord & Salisbury.

Neither is going to have all the stores one would need, meaning it's not like a city neighborhood where you can live near the downtown and never have to leave/drive anywhere else.

That being said, Salisbury's downtown has a LOT more going on and many more useful shops (in my opinion) than Concord's. Concord is much smaller, lots of antique shops & "window shopping" type shops if that makes sense. Salisbury has a couple decent clothing boutiques, book store, etc. and also a theater (plays, not movies). Not sure if either have rock bands/DJs anywhere in the evenings, but I bet you're more likely to find that in Salisbury than Concord.

Have you visited them? Salisbury feels a lot more lively to me, the downtown is bigger and it seems the people there are a little more interested in supporting local artists & whatnot. Concord seems a bit dead sometimes, it's good for a nice stroll or if you need something specific but the town doesn't seem to revolve around the downtown area. However, the advantage to Concord is it's not too far away from Charlotte where you could find more nightlife.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,667,436 times
Belmont is small, <10K. Belmont has a nice little downtown. Most shopping is done in Gastonia. The malls in Charlotte are not far.

You can't find everything in Belmont. Based on size, I'm not sure why you've included it with Concord & Salisbury.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 AM

8,237 posts, read 12,934,260 times
Not all the towns you have listed are going to have it all under one roof.
Chances are that you will have to travel for work, unless you have the luxury of working
from home. All of these towns are small and you will have to reach out to get the bigger stores
for shopping.

Of the 3? Belmont hands down.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:13 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,332,919 times
Concord has the most chain stores and big box stores. For nightlife and such you would need to go to Charlotte so Belmont and Concord are closer to it than Salisbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte