Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM

40 posts, read 94,582 times

Advertisements

We just got a closing date on our house in Maryland and are moving to Charlotte at the end of September. My husband, baby and I will be staying in the Windsor at the Vinoy apartments in the University area until we find the best subdivision to build a house. We are leaning towards the Concord, Harrisburg or Huntersville areas.

We thought that it would take our house longer to sell, so things are happening quickly. Just thought I'd share our excitement.

Question: Both my husband and I will need to commute to uptown. Anyone familiar with this Windsor community or the surrounding area know what to expect for commute time? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 PM

49 posts, read 166,044 times
Congrats. I am also relocating to Charlotte from Maryland (Montgomery County). We are looking for a home up in the Huntersville area. We are just putting our house up for sale and hope for a quick sale although given the market lately, I am not holding out much hope. I was told it is bout a 1/2 hour commute to Uptown from Huntersville in traffic. I told that the traffic along I-77 can be horrific, but it can't be any worse than the Beltway here in D.C.!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 PM

68 posts, read 195,273 times
Congrats; we've been trying to sell our house since May of 2006 so that we can move north of Charlotte.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Welcome all of you to Charlotte area and North Carolina and way to go on your sale of your home.

General commute time from most suburbs is 30 minutes give or take that is estimate time.

If you do decide on Huntersville and need a back road game plan feel free to use these forums I or someone one else will be glad to let you know of alternate routes.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,319 times
Default Moved from Maryland 1 month ago

Hi all,

I just read your post and thought I would join the thread.

We moved from Maryland (Montgomery Co) to Rock Hill, SC 1 month ago.
It's great here. People are nice and the traffic is WONDERFUL compared to Maryland.

Our home up there was put on the Market in Feb, 06.. Sold in July.
We did have to drop the price a few times. Didn't get a large profit, but it was well worth it.

Good luck on your moves

Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 PM

153 posts, read 477,815 times
What are your price ranges for homes? I live near Huntersville and might be able to offer some opinions. Congrats!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:02 AM

Our price range for a home is 300-360K. We are thinking about new construction. We want to be in a nice, safe area where we can get the most for our money. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 AM

240 posts, read 1,033,088 times
We're buying a Ryan home in The Mills at Rocky River, which is in Concord, but just over the Harrisburg border (two towns that you were interested in). It's a nice, rural area. But it's close to 485, 85 for commuting, and Concord Mills and the University Area for shopping. The current elementary school gets middle of the road reviews (new one is supposed to open adjacent to the community in the next 3-5 years), the middle school is rated very well (also adjacent to the community), and the high school is brand new and is supposed to be a good school.

You can definitely fine something in their "Estates" collection in the $300-$360 range (that's the range we were in also). The community is just starting development and will be huge (I think over 1000 homes... not all Ryan though), so you'll have to deal with construction for a while, but you'll also get the best prices now. There's going to be a town center at the front of the community (stores, offices, restaurants), a nice recreation area in the community, as well as a neighborhood park.

Definitely worth checking out! Just google "The Mills at Rocky River" for the general website, or look them up directly on ryanhomes.com.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a really good option for us. The only place that we saw in the area was Magnolia Springs. It didn't take long for us the realize McCar homes does not have a good reputation. I haven't heard many negative comments about Ryan homes. We will definitely look at that community.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:02 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,088 times
There are a few other communities just off Rocky River Road that could fit your needs too. Lennar is building a community called Litchfield Estates, and Orleans has a community just off Rocky River Rd and Hickory Ridge Rd called Bridge Pointe. We saw both of them and preferred The Mills, but the other two would also be in your price range and are in a similar area.

We also saw Magnolia Springs and felt that it wasn't the right place or builder for us. I had a friend who built with McCar in a different community and loved them though We just didn't get a good feeling at Magnolia, so we looked elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte