Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 14,083 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My family and I are looking to relocate to North Carolina. I though I had an area picked out and have started to apply for jobs but now I am not so sure.

I have a 12 year old and so need to be somewhere safe with good schools-I am an Emergency Room/ICU RN and so I need to be somewhere near a hospital as well (commuting up to an hour is no big deal).

I am going to where the work ends up being in the end-I have applied at Pitt County Medical and Charlotte Medical and am still waiting to hear back.

I was looking at Winterville if Pitt County picked me up (this was my original plan to start with) but if I scored a job in Charlotte I have no idea where we would go.

I have a dog and so I am not sure apartment living will work for us but am willing to try it out to start-Either way I plan to rent until I am 100% sure NC is right for us-I do not however think Charlotte is where we would want to live-I prefer not to live in the city.

If NC is to be home sweet home we would like to buy acreage-5-10 acres preferably in a more rural area with a workable commute and still good schools.

My word reading back through this post I seem quite picky and fickled all at the same time.

I am traveling to NC the end of November to scope it out-I have my small list of potential areas but was hoping someone could help me add to it.

I can't thank you all enough-I have perused the previous posts which were a great help! I am hoping I can get some more specific info here so I don't feel as though my head is going to explode!
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Consider Forsyth (regional trauma center, ICU's etc)
and Wake Medical (affiliated with the Medical School) in Winston-Salem too.

WS also is far closer to the Blue Ridge Parkway .
Acreage for woods, horses or other purposes abounds.

hth

Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 AM

92 posts, read 211,573 times
My wife is a nurse and you will have plenty of options as far as an ICU job goes at either Carolina's Medical center or Presbyterian Hospital. Carolina's Medical owns hospitals all over the Charlotte area so you could easlily find that acreage and probably no more then a 30 minute commute if you didn'nt get your top hospital choice.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tif705 View Post
Hello!
My family and I are looking to relocate to North Carolina. I though I had an area picked out and have started to apply for jobs but now I am not so sure.

I have a 12 year old and so need to be somewhere safe with good schools-I am an Emergency Room/ICU RN and so I need to be somewhere near a hospital as well (commuting up to an hour is no big deal).

I am going to where the work ends up being in the end-I have applied at Pitt County Medical and Charlotte Medical and am still waiting to hear back.

I was looking at Winterville if Pitt County picked me up (this was my original plan to start with) but if I scored a job in Charlotte I have no idea where we would go.

I have a dog and so I am not sure apartment living will work for us but am willing to try it out to start-Either way I plan to rent until I am 100% sure NC is right for us-I do not however think Charlotte is where we would want to live-I prefer not to live in the city.

If NC is to be home sweet home we would like to buy acreage-5-10 acres preferably in a more rural area with a workable commute and still good schools.

My word reading back through this post I seem quite picky and fickled all at the same time.

I am traveling to NC the end of November to scope it out-I have my small list of potential areas but was hoping someone could help me add to it.

I can't thank you all enough-I have perused the previous posts which were a great help! I am hoping I can get some more specific info here so I don't feel as though my head is going to explode!
Thanks everyone!
Look at Kings Mountain, on the Cleveland County side, for acreage & schools. If it works for you, update your application to CMC to include Kings Mountain, Shelby, & Lincolnton locations. CMC has hospitals with ERs in those 3 commmunities. There is also a hospital in Gastonia, Gaston Memorial, with an ER. CMC recently opened a branch of Levine Children's Hospital in Gastonia. I don't know if they have an ER.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,516,066 times
Love CMC hospitals, they are a great company to work for!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 AM

10 posts, read 14,083 times
Thanks so so much for the great info! I start interviews this week-beginning with CMC-They have encouraged me to apply for some of their other locations and I will start with the ones that Southbound_295 recommended (thanks!) I am hoping to push my visit up as I was certainly not expecting to get interviews this quick; definitely not the case here in Maine!
Can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!
tif

Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tif705 View Post
Thanks so so much for the great info! I start interviews this week-beginning with CMC-They have encouraged me to apply for some of their other locations and I will start with the ones that Southbound_295 recommended (thanks!) I am hoping to push my visit up as I was certainly not expecting to get interviews this quick; definitely not the case here in Maine!
Can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!
tif
You're welcome. Just an FYI. Cleveland Regional is the CMC facility in Shelby. It's a trauma center. Off the top of my head I don't remember which level, but it's lower than the ER at CMC main.

Kings Mountain gives you a good central location for the locations that I mentioned but is still commuteable to Charlotte. It is in both Cleveland & Gaston Counties. Keep on the Cleveland side for schools & lower taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte