Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,695 times

Advertisements

A house in my neighborhood was foreclosed on about 5 months ago. I researched to see who purchased the house out of foreclosure and found JMA Holding owns the property. Recently, renters moved in (I assume). I have found a few postings on this website about JMA Holdings but cannot find much information on the company. The registered agent is an attorney that has the same office address as the company. I have seen mention of this being a shell company.

Can someone help me understand what is going on? The property address is 1719 Mount Isle Harbor Dr in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
you can research corporations on the NC sec of state's website. Start there, see if you can find out who the officers are for JMA Holdings. See if you can tie any of those names together (same folks serving as officers in several corporation charters).

Do a google search on any names you find and see what comes up about the various businesses they are engaged in. With some luck, you will run across new corporate names you can check out and at some point, get a more clear picture of who is involved in JMA Holdings.

Or you may find it isn't hard to get the info at all -- maybe an annual report will be available and lay it all out.

Is this a neighborhood with a HOA?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Thank you for the response. I have done that initial research type of items mentioned. It appears to tie back to attorneys in the Sellers, Hinshaw, Ayers, Dortch & Lyons, P.A. As you mentioned, multiple attorneys in their practice have different LLCs registered throughout the way and all link back to similar purchases of distressed properties.

Yes, the neighborhood has an HOA that is managed by a separate law firm.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,770,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg52209 View Post
Thank you for the response. I have done that initial research type of items mentioned. It appears to tie back to attorneys in the Sellers, Hinshaw, Ayers, Dortch & Lyons, P.A. As you mentioned, multiple attorneys in their practice have different LLCs registered throughout the way and all link back to similar purchases of distressed properties.

Yes, the neighborhood has an HOA that is managed by a separate law firm.
Sellers, Hinshaw, Ayers, Dortch & Lyons was the lawfirm that basically wrote the HOA law that allows for foreclosure for things that CCRs do not allow for in older communities. Let that sink in.

The holding company is theirs. They use several companies like you said.

This is what happens:

1) Homeowner is naughty or otherwise was facing bank foreclosure and stopped paying dues.

2) Sellers is hired to put a lien on the property.

3) Fines accumulate before and after the above.

4) Sellers forecloses (technically the HOA does).

5) An auction is held at the courthouse to settle the lien.

6) Sellers is the auctioneer.

7) No one bids on the property or the bids are lower than the lien.

8) JMA then bids for the price of the lien.

9) JMA holds the property until sold on the open market or the bank forecloses on the note.

They do this for two reasons:

1) Keeps it off the HOA's book. A neighborhood might have difficulty getting people to buy in if they knew 20% of the houses were foreclosed on by the HOA. People might think the HOA to be tyrannical. An easy only search would show the history of the HOA doing this. If done by the holding company then it never gets into the HOA's hands (it still does often at the final sale).

2) By using multiple LLCs like Sellers does they mitigate risk as far as lawsuits go. Better not to have all your eggs in one basket.

This is all done with the love of God in mind since the lawyer that made it easier for people to lose their house regardless of their CCRs is also a certified Christian councilor and goes to church.

Now what's interesting about the property in question is that it wasn't the tradtional double foreclosure where the HOA takes it first because they can and then the bank comes and swoops it back up to satisfy the note.

There's something else going on here. There's an extra layer.

The hand off went from the previous owner after he racked up $3482.25 in unpaid whatever to the HOA and then went to JMA. But it didn't go back to the HOA or bank for disposal. It went to someone using the name Kim Tran. But this isn't the only transaction between these two.

While it has happened and is certainly possible, if we were to believe the record, Mr. Tran bought a $650,000 (busted tax value) house for $4000. The HOA doesn't care as long as they got there $3482.25.

But it remains suspicious but that's just me. I'm going to guess that Mr. Tran is an investor with deep pockets who got the deal of a lifetime. That property is less than 5 miles from me.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM

To clarify my suspicion, I'd be concerned with any HOA that would sell that house for $4000. I know technically it was JMA but the HOA was in control. They could have put it on the market and made a profit and put that back into the community. Maybe they thought that was unclean but this is the biggest sweetheart deal I've ever seen and how did Mr. Tran get that lead? I'd want to ask the HOA president before buying unless they are offering to double the profit and sell it to you for $8K. Then I'd just be greedy.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Excellent post, GCharlotte. I had heard of deals like this but have never seen it all laid out the way you stated it. Thank you for the info. I agree that there is something "untoward" about the transaction you outlined and now am very curious about the rest of the story --and who else has had their properties foreclosed on by this group.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excellent post, GCharlotte. I had heard of deals like this but have never seen it all laid out the way you stated it. Thank you for the info. I agree that there is something "untoward" about the transaction you outlined and now am very curious about the rest of the story --and who else has had their properties foreclosed on by this group.
And what about the mortgage. . .

Pause to lookup. . .

Ok, I'm back.

It looks like the original owner had problems making payments. There are loan modifications on record as well as a substitute trustee. The trustee is used to take over the note to sell the house for the bank's sake.

So it doesn't look like someone paid off the house then lost it for $4K. It doesn't look like the county ran this one off with the new taxes.

So much is on record on the day he made the original purchase but I'm not going to take time to take it apart.

But if there was a note then JMA couldn't have sold it outright to Mr. Tran. The bank would still have a lien and it could take the property back and I'm sure they would have. That's the danger of buying these houses at auction. Too much unknown.

I did have a friend though that scooped up a South Park condo on the cheap. The old lady that lived there paid it off but somehow got confused about association fees. I think they paid $3K for the place and had to have a deputy remove her. That wouldn't be worth it to me. It isn't the buyer's fault but I couldn't have justified it personally. Karma you know.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
And what about the mortgage. . .

Pause to lookup. . .

Ok, I'm back.

It looks like the original owner had problems making payments. There are loan modifications on record as well as a substitute trustee. The trustee is used to take over the note to sell the house for the bank's sake.

So it doesn't look like someone paid off the house then lost it for $4K. It doesn't look like the county ran this one off with the new taxes.

So much is on record on the day he made the original purchase but I'm not going to take time to take it apart.

But if there was a note then JMA couldn't have sold it outright to Mr. Tran. The bank would still have a lien and it could take the property back and I'm sure they would have. That's the danger of buying these houses at auction. Too much unknown.

I did have a friend though that scooped up a South Park condo on the cheap. The old lady that lived there paid it off but somehow got confused about association fees. I think they paid $3K for the place and had to have a deputy remove her. That wouldn't be worth it to me. It isn't the buyer's fault but I couldn't have justified it personally. Karma you know.
The morally right thing to do would have been to have allowed the lady to pay back the money it cost the new purchaser--and then sign the deed back to her.

I bet there is some organization out there that does this. If there isn't--too bad. Just think what someone like Oprah could do with all her money.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
While it has happened and is certainly possible, if we were to believe the record, Mr. Tran bought a $650,000 (busted tax value) house for $4000. The HOA doesn't care as long as they got there $3482.25.
Where did the money come from to settle the banknote(s) on the property? It could be potentially as high as $650K (assuming 100% financed). It's hard to imagine a bank would just sit by and let a simple HOA foreclosure for a few 1000 in fines extinguish its interest in the property.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM

GCHarlotte- absolutely great post. Thank you for taking the time to lay it out like that. Sounds like I have some issues to take up with the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte