U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM

628 posts, read 1,919,781 times

Advertisements

County Says Jail Population to Fall to Lowest Level in 8 Years (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/Newsroom/Pages/CountySaysJailPopulationFalltoLowestLevelin8Years. aspx - broken link)

Do you think crime is down?
Lower Bonds?
Longer prison sentences for offenders?
or more electronic monitoring?

Is this a good thing or bad thing for the area?

I find this interesting because I would think in these economic times...more crime would be occurring....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 PM

7,126 posts, read 10,333,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
County Says Jail Population to Fall to Lowest Level in 8 Years (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/Newsroom/Pages/CountySaysJailPopulationFalltoLowestLevelin8Years. aspx - broken link)

I find this interesting because I would think in these economic times...more crime would be occurring....
Think about it this way: Willie Sutton (the infamous bank robber) was asked--Why did you rob banks? He answered--"that's where the money is!"

Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 21,687,364 times
Maybe the cops are taking common sense into their own hands and not arresting as many potheads.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,934,556 times
I'm guessing the magistrates are turning people loose faster than in the past. That could cut down the number of over-nighters and pre-trial inmates. I refuse to believe the 30% lower crime stat I've seen a few times in the past few weeks. Reminds me of some episodes of The Wire.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 PM

763 posts, read 695,030 times
First, I believe that the statistics have been rigged. I have never see so many murders on T.V. in the last decade. As they say, "statistics are used by liers". Thugs, gangs, and perverts are all over. When someone can tell me with certainty that it is safe for me to walk in other than neighborhoods that consist of people that look like me, I will believe things are worth praising.

In my humble opinion, having a record breaking low inmate population could only mean that they are finally executing those on death row and deporting illegal immigrants.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM

8,402 posts, read 21,687,364 times
Los Angeles could ship us Lindsay Lohan and a few bucks. We could actually keep her in jail here.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM

628 posts, read 1,919,781 times
I'm thinking it's the economy. With the downturn in the economy and building at a slowdown, I think there are a lot less illegal immigrants coming into the area. With the current 287G program that is active in Mecklenburg County, all arrestees whose immigration status was in question, were being held and when found to be in the country illegally.....were being held until the feds picked them up and shipped them to Atlanta for processing. The county was paid a daily rate by the feds for housing these inmates

Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM

1,738 posts, read 786,263 times
Well, honestly, as a new resident of the county- if the crime I hear about on the news every day is truly 30% less than there was before- I have to ask, "Did the news anchors used to have time in their one hour program to report on anything BUT crime in the area before?"

Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM

46 posts, read 76,317 times
To clear things up, I have talked with several people directly who are involved with this. The corrections department has just gone through a pretty big overhaul, they realized that they were not as lean as many other municipalities. What they are going to be doing is shifting policy so that more minor crimes are out on parole and reduce time spent in jail on those who are sentence to serve and make up the difference in parole.

You can pay a probation officer $60k a year to manage 200 offenders or you can house, feed, monitor and provide medical for a single offender for around $35k a year. There is also some precedent where the parolee has to pay for the services that a parole office provides, so again, more cost savings.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,260,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmitche View Post
To clear things up, I have talked with several people directly who are involved with this. The corrections department has just gone through a pretty big overhaul, they realized that they were not as lean as many other municipalities. What they are going to be doing is shifting policy so that more minor crimes are out on parole and reduce time spent in jail on those who are sentence to serve and make up the difference in parole.

You can pay a probation officer $60k a year to manage 200 offenders or you can house, feed, monitor and provide medical for a single offender for around $35k a year. There is also some precedent where the parolee has to pay for the services that a parole office provides, so again, more cost savings.
Makes total sense to me. The only thing I worry about is repeat offenders back out on the street - only to offend again while on parole. We have seen that so much in this city. But I guess, if you consider that they would just be in jail a while longer and still are gonna repeat offend no matter when they do get out, what good was it to keep them in the pokey a little longer, lol.

I hope it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte