Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 13,211 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have finally made the decision to accept his new job offer and relocate from Illinois. He will be starting at his new position January 3rd. He will be staying at an extended stay for about 8-9 weeks, then my son and I will make the move in March. (a little sad that we will be enduring another Chicago winter)

We are looking at a few different areas... Fort Mills, Concord or Matthews. From what I have been reading the last few weeks, these areas seem to have great school districts. My son is currently in preschool, and will be starting kindergarten in the Fall. We will be renting for the first year or two, but hopefully will purchase in the same area.

Am I missing any other areas that we should be considering that have a family friendly community/great schools? We are looking to rent a home around $1500-$1700. My husband's job is in Fort Mills, but the main office is in Charlotte, which he will need to go to once or twice a month.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
If your husbands job will be in Fort Mill I would find a rental in Fort Mill. If you live there for +-1 year you will certainly know if you want to buy a home there. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
You can also look into the Ballantyne area in the southern part of the county. There are good schools there. Matthews is great. The high school (Butler) is fine, but there are better ones - Ardrey Kell, Myers Park and Providence. (Some parts of Matthews do go to Providence which is considered the best in the county)

Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 AM

116 posts, read 255,881 times
I would consider Marvin schools as well. Great schools and neighbourhoods.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 AM

351 posts, read 656,651 times
If my husband worked in Fort Mill, I would certainly find a rental in Fort Mill. It's a great area and the schools are tops in SC. Taxes would be cheaper than in NC too.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM

205 posts, read 647,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
If my husband worked in Fort Mill, I would certainly find a rental in Fort Mill. It's a great area and the schools are tops in SC. Taxes would be cheaper than in NC too.
Agreed 100%

Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM

32 posts, read 53,124 times
Loves mountains should be sending you a message soon- she seems to know a lot.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 PM

32 posts, read 53,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutherford1205 View Post
My husband and I have finally made the decision to accept his new job offer and relocate from Illinois. He will be starting at his new position January 3rd. He will be staying at an extended stay for about 8-9 weeks, then my son and I will make the move in March. (a little sad that we will be enduring another Chicago winter)

We are looking at a few different areas... Fort Mills, Concord or Matthews. From what I have been reading the last few weeks, these areas seem to have great school districts. My son is currently in preschool, and will be starting kindergarten in the Fall. We will be renting for the first year or two, but hopefully will purchase in the same area.

Am I missing any other areas that we should be considering that have a family friendly community/great schools? We are looking to rent a home around $1500-$1700. My husband's job is in Fort Mills, but the main office is in Charlotte, which he will need to go to once or twice a month.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
I think lovesmountains may even have a realtor that could show you lots of rentals!

Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mennc View Post
Loves mountains should be sending you a message soon- she seems to know a lot.
I am happy to send the OP a direct message

Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,786 times
Will send you a DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte