Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 AM

32 posts, read 52,864 times

Advertisements

Anyone else move to North Carolina only to find it wasn't what they thought it was going to be? Are you staying or moving back to your home state?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,572,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mennc View Post
Anyone else move to North Carolina only to find it wasn't what they thought it was going to be? Are you staying or moving back to your home state?
For me it was all that and a bag of chips. I guess it depends on where u moved from and what your looking for. Sure there are some drawbacks, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,063,395 times
Quote:
I'm curious. What were your expectations? Where does the disappointment lie?

Did you have to move due to a job transfer? Any family or friends here?

The move to the Charlotte area from NJ has far exceeded my family's expectations. I thought we'd enjoy life here. I had no idea I would never want to go back to NJ.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,531,210 times
I don't believe a place will solve anyone's problems. What is it about Charlotte that has turned your life upside down? I am always surprised by posters that seem to think a certain place will change their life.

I was born in Charlotte (obviously) and I recognize that it has its good and bad. (Lately the bad seems to outweigh the good but that is a different story...). I cannot imagine moving to a different city expecting my life to be different. I believe a place is what you make of it. If you choose to be happy, make friends, get out and do things you will enjoy your life no matter where you are.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM

763 posts, read 813,293 times
Quote:
Hopefully most people are smart enough to do thorough research before taking such a great leap. You will know next time I hope.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM

5 posts, read 14,278 times
I've lived in various cities in the southeastern US, and think that Charlotte is actually a pretty decent place to live; I've been here for over a decade. I appreciate the big city amenities that we have. I think there are a lot of good schools in our public school system. The weather has four seasons, and never really goes to the extremes. There's lots of great mountains in the vicinity for hiking and camping. And the beach is just four hours away.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:46 PM

15,363 posts, read 12,561,487 times
Quote:
Life turned upside down? That sounds like everything that could go wrong did go wrong once you moved to NC.

If you lost all your money, your relationship and your peace of mind then sure.. NC isn't the place for you but if you just realized NC wasn't paradise that's not really NC's fault.

I don't think a place can trick a person into moving there.. most times I think a person is just home sick or thought moving would cure something.

I love Charlotte... I don't know if I'll retire here but I love the cost of living and the people have been friendly.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,655,018 times
Quote:
North Carolina isn't the problem. Its something wrong w/you,

whether you didn't do your homework or had unrealistic expectations.

Which is it?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

15,363 posts, read 12,561,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
North Carolina isn't the problem. Its something wrong w/you,

whether you didn't do your homework or had unrealistic expectations.

Which is it?
some people think a new start will give them a new life. You can't run from yourself though...

Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,510,664 times
Did it also turn you inside out and round and round, round and round?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte