Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 AM

109 posts, read 120,973 times

Advertisements

Looks like it is that time of the year when everyone receives their home assessment value.
What's the use of these assessment values to home-owners?
And is everyone getting a higher value for their houses this year bcuz the housing market is rising again?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
The assessment is the value used to determine how much property tax you pay. They were redone a couple years ago and are in the process of being re-redone again. They only change once every so many years. I can't remember the exact number, but I think it is 7 years or something like that. A lot of times your assessed value will not be in line with an appraised value or a sale price. I've got a rental I manage for my family that was valued at $180,000 and it wouldn't fetch $55,000 in a sale.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 AM

29 posts, read 56,083 times
Yeap, same here...mine is about 40% over what it would sell for. How they do this? I have no idea, but I do know that Mecklenburg taxes SUCK! and I can't wait to move to Union county.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Property in NC must be re-assessed at least every 8 years by law under the Machinery ACT per North Carolina General Statutes. This includes all Real (real estate land and buildings) and personal property unless exempted.

The municipality you live in can do it earlier, or more often during an 8 year period, but it must be done every 8 years.

Your assessed value (tax value) should represent your market value at the time of assessment. This isn't always the case since the technique used to assess your value may not fall in line AND/OR you could have an assessed value still in place from the last assessment (say 4 years ago).

Assessed Value (tax value) is often less than market value...but not always, and when it isn't we typically hear folks petitioning the assessor to take another look.

Conventional wisdom is the lower the tax assessors market valuation the happier the taxpayer — the higher the sale of the home, the happier for the seller, the lower the sales price the happier the buyer...you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte