Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM

115 posts, read 229,399 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Charlotte with an 11 year old daughter on the autism spectrum. I think we have narrowed it down to two school districts: Carabbus and Union. Does anyone have info regaeding their EC progams, and autism in particilar. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM

972 posts, read 2,445,311 times
Sorry I haven't had time to respond to your other posts or your pm. Both are good counties for EC services, but there are hundreds of variables to consider. Your best bet is to look at the EC webpages for each district. The focus will tell you a lot. Also, look at the education specialty of the principals for the specific schools.

11 is usually middle school. There are no special classes for kids just because of PDD. If she has learning disabilites, she would be in an inclusion class (mainstream with additional teacher) or a resource class (separate class with fewer students, reduced curriculum.) As far as placement for the PPD alone, that is more an issue of a good teacher match.

If she is intellectually disabled, she would be in an EC class, which focuses on basics (counting, adding, etc.) and life skills (going to the store, washing clothes, etc.).

If she is intellectually gifted, she would be in a gifted class (different names in different districts). These classes can be stressful for some due to the competative nature of intelligent kids. Others find them easier to deal with since you are with kids you can relate to.

Have you contacted any of the Autism societies in the area? Those moms would be a great resource.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 PM

999 posts, read 4,654,793 times
We live in Union, so that's my only experience. If you feel your daughter would do well in an separate class, all day, all the time, then she will be fine in Union County. They mainstream very few (actually none that I'm aware of in the few schools I have experience with) students who are noticeably on the spectrum. The classes I'm familiar with do a decent job for lower functioning students on the spectrum. Life skills, basic math and reading skills. If she's higher functioning, then it might be a battle getting her more appropriate services, as they'll be reluctant to mainstream.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM

972 posts, read 2,445,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
We live in Union, so that's my only experience. If you feel your daughter would do well in an separate class, all day, all the time, then she will be fine in Union County. They mainstream very few (actually none that I'm aware of in the few schools I have experience with) students who are noticeably on the spectrum. The classes I'm familiar with do a decent job for lower functioning students on the spectrum. Life skills, basic math and reading skills. If she's higher functioning, then it might be a battle getting her more appropriate services, as they'll be reluctant to mainstream.
Just to clarify - being on the spectrum and intellectual ability do not have one-to-one correspondences one way or another. Quite a few students on the spectrum are mainstreamed, and adults who are trained can easily identify them. They are in all levels of class abilities.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 AM

115 posts, read 229,399 times
Thank you msm and joanchris. I never considered looking at the specialty of the principals. It's a very good idea. I have contacted almost all of the autism societies, but I have never been able to get solid info. The most I get is "Mecklenburg does a pretty good job....just stay south" and "I've heard Cabarrus does a good job, but I'm not sure of exactly what they do or which schools do a good job." My daughter would definitely be in a separate class in Union - she is noticably autistic. One post, one answer at a time, I am learning a lot. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte