Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,634 times

Advertisements

Weird experience this morning when driving on the newly-lowered 55 mph zone just north of Concord Mills on I-85. I was driving around 58 mph, and I noticed in my rearview mirror this white car QUICKLY approaching up behind me. I was in the fast lane, so I switched over to the rightmost lane to let him pass. But instead, he switched lanes too and pulled right up behind me, riding my bumper. I couldn't switch back out, and a tractor-trailer was approaching faster than I was going in the left lane so I didn't want to pull out in front of him, so I sped up to 63-65 mph or so with the white car still behind me until the tractor-trailer passed, and then switched out of that lane. The white car then slowed down and only passed me at like 62 mph as I was going 59 mph in the left lane, but I noticed that it was a highway patrol car with no lights on top. He exited at the Concord Mills exit without pulling me over.

So was he trying to pace me and could I get a ticket in the mail? That was a bit of a dirty tactic if so by tailgating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Why were you cruising in the left lane, which is mainly for passing? Why did you speed up in the right lane? Why did you then pull back into the left lane to let him pass?

I'm not aware of any tickets by mail. Maybe you appeared to be a driver of interest, so he ran your plate. He may also have been rattling your cage, due to the lower speed limit.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why were you cruising in the left lane, which is mainly for passing?
I was passing a line of cars who were driving around 50 mph.

Quote:
Why did you speed up in the right lane?
Dude was riding my tail. It's dangerous to have someone on your bumper in case you have to brake, especially in a construction zone that tends to have random road hazards.

Quote:
Why did you then pull back into the left lane to let him pass?
Dude was riding my tail. I got in the left lane so that maybe he would just pass me instead of riding my bumper (as he should have done when I moved right to let him pass). I didn't realize it was a cop until he actually passed.

Quote:
He may also have been rattling your cage, due to the lower speed limit.
That's dangerous. What if I had to brake right then and there because of something up ahead and it caused an accident because he was following too close?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,275 times
Quote:
Why were you cruising in the left lane, which is mainly for passing? Why did you speed up in the right lane? Why did you then pull back into the left lane to let him pass? .....
Why all the questions? You've never cruised in the left lane? Who cares, the OP is asking about 'moving tickets', and it doesn't sound like he/she was doing anything completely out of the ordinary.

My best guess is that he was in a hurry to get somewhere else, as u mentioned he raced off the exit. You just happened to be in his way. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they issue 'moving tickets'. He would have pulled you over if he wanted to give u a speeding ticket, and at 3mph over I would think he's got better things to do.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
I can't see how they could ticket you by mail for speeding if he doesn't have your ID. How would he know if you were the owner of the car or if you had borrowed or rented a car?

But then again, other states do use those camera vans on the side of the highway, so maybe they could. Hmmm...

Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,303 times
Default Ticket by Mail

Simple and only answer -No. Only jurisdictions with stationary cameras can issue speeding tickets by mail.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
Why all the questions? You've never cruised in the left lane? Who cares, the OP is asking about 'moving tickets', and it doesn't sound like he/she was doing anything completely out of the ordinary.

My best guess is that he was in a hurry to get somewhere else, as u mentioned he raced off the exit. You just happened to be in his way. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they issue 'moving tickets'. He would have pulled you over if he wanted to give u a speeding ticket, and at 3mph over I would think he's got better things to do.
I'm curious as to why OP drew so much attention to his/herself by repeatedly breaking the law while performing what could easily be construed as erratic driving maneuvers.

I agree though, OP was probably just in the way of the LEO, and compounded that by his/her maneuvers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I can't see how they could ticket you by mail for speeding if he doesn't have your ID. How would he know if you were the owner of the car or if you had borrowed or rented a car?

But then again, other states do use those camera vans on the side of the highway, so maybe they could. Hmmm...
The same way red light and speeding cameras do it. Tickets are sent to the owner of the vehicle whose tag was photographed breaking the law. But as I said before an others repeated, I doubt that was the case. Then there's this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Simple and only answer -No. Only jurisdictions with stationary cameras can issue speeding tickets by mail.
...which if true, answers the original question.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'm curious as to why OP drew so much attention to his/herself by repeatedly breaking the law while performing what could easily be construed as erratic driving maneuvers.
Um, I shifted lanes twice. Shifted out of the fast lane (where I was only doing 2-3 mph over the speed limit) to let a fast guy behind me pass. Then I switched back into the fast lane after that guy shifted behind me into the slow lane despite having the fast lane clear, in order for him to not ride my tail. This all over the course of about a minute. How is this "erratic driving maneuvers" or "repeatedly breaking the law"?

Btw, driving in the left lane to cruise is not breaking the law. The highway along this stretch is two lanes - if it was breaking the law, about 45% of drivers on this highway are breaking the law. Given the volume of traffic over those two lanes, if everyone was in the slow lane except to pass, the slow lane would be at a standstill. Geez.

Last edited by blueheronNC; 12-02-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post

Btw, driving in the left lane to cruise is not breaking the law. The highway along this stretch is two lanes - if it was breaking the law, about 45% of drivers on this highway are breaking the law. Given the volume of traffic over those two lanes, if everyone was in the slow lane except to pass, the slow lane would be at a standstill. Geez.
And it's this mindset that has caused such an issue on our expressways today. I drive over 100 miles each day on 77 and 485 and I cant tell you how often it is for people to enter and go to the far inside lane and then cross three lanes to exit. In the meantime going at a slower pace than the other lanes. Seeing that we were all taught that it is illegal to pass to the right and the passing lanes are to the far left (except HOV lanes), it is your thought process that is inhibiting free flowing traffic patterns. Same to the people that feel it is totally appropriate to ride out a closing lane till the very end.

I have read that there is talk of enforcing and ticketing for impeding traffic in the left lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Does North Carolina (Cabarrus County) issue speeding tickets through the mail?-slower-traffic-keep-right.jpeg  

Old 12-03-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racewire20 View Post
And it's this mindset that has caused such an issue on our expressways today. I drive over 100 miles each day on 77 and 485 and I cant tell you how often it is for people to enter and go to the far inside lane and then cross three lanes to exit. In the meantime going at a slower pace than the other lanes. Seeing that we were all taught that it is illegal to pass to the right and the passing lanes are to the far left (except HOV lanes), it is your thought process that is inhibiting free flowing traffic patterns. Same to the people that feel it is totally appropriate to ride out a closing lane till the very end.

I have read that there is talk of enforcing and ticketing for impeding traffic in the left lane.
If I'm in the left lane, I never let someone come up behind me without moving over to the slower lane. So I'm not holding up traffic. I'm never breaking the "slower traffic keep right" sign. And if you're suggesting that a two-lane interstate that handles 90,000 cars every day can handle it if everyone just drove in the right lane except to pass, you don't understand physics. There would be no way to enforce something like that without literally causing the interstate to come to a complete standstill, nor would anyone in any official capacity ever want to. Also, if you're cruising in the right lane no matter what, you're making it difficult for people to enter the interstate because they have to both speed up to highway speeds and merge in when there's a lot of traffic hogging the right lane. I always switch into the left lane around exits if possible to give people entering a free and clear path. I've seen people run off the onramp into the dirt or slam on their brakes and almost cause a rear-end collision with someone behind them because some jackal was riding the right lane oblivious to traffic merging in. I've also seen rear-end collisions because someone slowed down dramatically in the right lane to let someone in instead of just shifting over a lane.

Also, if you're driving 100 miles a day on the interstates and it's not part of a business route but just a commute route, you're contributing more to the malaise on our interstates than anything else.

Last edited by blueheronNC; 12-03-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte