U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 AM

12 posts, read 15,845 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm moving from Virginia to the Charlotte area for grad school in May.

I have a part-time job at Cox Mill HS lined up.

I'm looking for a smart place to live if I'm going to be driving from the high school to UNCC throughout the year. Since I'm totally oblivious to the area, I figured this is the best place to start.

Apartment complexes where I could seek roommates will probably be the best fit - obviously looking for convenience, safety, least driving time possible - as well as being around people my age (mid 20's and up).

I'm sure you guys know more than me - so have at it!

Also, I apologize if this has been asked by someone else earlier. If it has, please direct me to that post - thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,320,727 times
To be honest, when it comes to finding roommates, esp. when it's involving moving to a place where you may not know a lot of people, I would check on craigslist to look for people who are seeking roommates in that general area.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,107,689 times
See if a place like this appeals...

The Edge - Mobile Version

Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM

335 posts, read 639,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
To be honest, when it comes to finding roommates, esp. when it's involving moving to a place where you may not know a lot of people, I would check on craigslist to look for people who are seeking roommates in that general area.
Yes, I would highly recommend craigslist for finding roomates, nigerian investments, and farm jobs, anh oh yeah, hookers too.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 8,997,980 times
Obviously it doesn't hurt to look on craigslist, but definitely try to meet the person (in public) first before agreeing to anything.

I've never actually been on the campus of UNCC, but most schools have one of those boards where people post flyers if they're looking for roommates. Although I would assume you'd want to live with fellow grad students so that may be a little tougher to find.

No idea if this is any good (you need to register to use it) but they also have a section on their website to help find roommates and off-campus housing - University of North Carolina Charlotte Off Campus Housing Service - Home

Some people may debate the safety of the area around UNCC, but of course you'd be close to school and still a pretty easy commute for your job. Hopefully you're able to see any prospective place for yourself before signing anything

Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,005,601 times
There are lots of Apt complexes around Concord Mills Mall which would be convenient to both places, but I would start at the UNCC Off-campus housing office:
University of North Carolina Charlotte Off Campus Housing Service - Home

You could also give them a call for personal advice

Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,432,856 times
I think the graduate student office at UNCC should be able to provide some help. Check with us here on specific locations first before you commit to anything. Unfortunately the university area has some bad pockets nearby so I would be extra careful before you decide to rent and really do your homework.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 PM

972 posts, read 2,294,334 times
What will you be doing over the summer? Are you guaranteed a job at Cox Mill in the fall? It be a shame to pick some place to live based on the HS location, then you end up across the county or in a different district all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte