Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Wow you guys have really taken this "preacher" thing and ran with it!

For heaven's sake, I'm just a person posting on an internet forum. Calm down. Obviously anyone posting here could be wrong and you should verify stuff before allowing it to influence your own opinions.

You have to understand too that I'm not from here so my experience with both Chick-Fil-A and roadside preaching is very limited... Chick-Fil-A is the first chain fast food place I've known to be closed on Sundays and to have a somewhat well-known religious leaning... The roadside preachers along Concord Mills Blvd. are the ONLY ones I've seen in my life (not counting crazy homeless people in Chicago), and I've ONLY seen them gathered in front of and immediately adjacent to the restaurant. For me personally, this is enough to deter me from eating there, but this has nothing to do with you and your choices!

Just to clarify, I don't have anything particularly against Chick-Fil-A. It's great that they are successful and expanding, and I particularly enjoy all the cow billboards in the area! I just choose not to go there, in part due to the company's religious charities and in part because of (my perception) that they condone loud roadside preaching. But mostly due to the fact that I'm just not that fond of chicken sandwiches.

Don't worry, next time I'll make sure my team of fact checkers go over my post more carefully before I post about important subjects such as the religiosity of the local chicken restaurant.

It's cool, don't take it personally but I find it hilarious and a little that you would admit that you thought all CFA's had preachers outside their place on Sundays because of Concord Mills.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
You have to understand too that I'm not from here so my experience with both Chick-Fil-A and roadside preaching is very limited... Chick-Fil-A is the first chain fast food place I've known to be closed on Sundays and to have a somewhat well-known religious leaning... The roadside preachers along Concord Mills Blvd. are the ONLY ones I've seen in my life (not counting crazy homeless people in Chicago), and I've ONLY seen them gathered in front of and immediately adjacent to the restaurant. For me personally, this is enough to deter me from eating there, but this has nothing to do with you and your :
It's enough to deter me from eating anywhere around there, not just Chik Fil A, because that guy is just plain annoying. I'm guessing he situates himself just outside of Chik Fil A's property, sometimes across the street, so they can't do a thing about him. How it's not a noise ordinance issue is beyond me because you can hear him for about a half mile or so away. Unless it just has something to do with the time of day he's out there.

But I've seen roadside preachers in Times Square more than in Charlotte/Concord. It's not some southern phenomenon but anywhere you can get your message out to the masses.

As far as Chik Fil A's stance, whatever. I've given enough money to left leaning bands and musicians knowing full well where even a tiny portion of that cash is going to. If I look at every single item in my house, right down to what's in the kitchen cabinets, somewhere along the way an organization that I don't agree with is being supported. You can take a stand and stop supporting Chik Fil A, and that's your right. But I guarantee that you unknowingly support many more organizations that you don't agree with every week. I can't boycott everything.

With that logic we'd all be walking around homeless, naked and starving.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
They probably smiled because of the look on your face was like

Not sure how that one experience or driving by one CFA with a preacher on a megaphone on a Sunday would make one believe ALL of them were like that.

I guess that's the problem with us today though... one football player gets in trouble and all of them are thugs. One OWS person rapes or kills and ALL of them are raping and killing. One GOP politician is a cheater so ALL of them are cheating... well, that may be true. j/k

I've been to a few McDonald's in NYC, Philly and Pittsburgh and wow. If what I saw in those McDonald's went on in ALL McDonald's I wouldn't be able to drive at all due to the flashbacks.
Must be nice for you to read minds. If only you had an ability to do it correctly. If anything my expresion would have been, more or less .

Why would I assume that this was the norm? Because it was in the restaurant, not outside in the mall, where the mall would have ejected them. I was well aware of the church, too. My boss went there. This would be the boss who haranged at people to ignore Hallloween, & not put up a Christmas tree or to tell little children that there was a Santa Claus.

I had not heard of the owner's religious bent at that time, either.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-05-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Wow you guys have really taken this "preacher" thing and ran with it!

For heaven's sake, I'm just a person posting on an internet forum. Calm down. Obviously anyone posting here could be wrong and you should verify stuff before allowing it to influence your own opinions.

You have to understand too that I'm not from here so my experience with both Chick-Fil-A and roadside preaching is very limited... Chick-Fil-A is the first chain fast food place I've known to be closed on Sundays and to have a somewhat well-known religious leaning... The roadside preachers along Concord Mills Blvd. are the ONLY ones I've seen in my life (not counting crazy homeless people in Chicago), and I've ONLY seen them gathered in front of and immediately adjacent to the restaurant. For me personally, this is enough to deter me from eating there, but this has nothing to do with you and your choices!

Just to clarify, I don't have anything particularly against Chick-Fil-A. It's great that they are successful and expanding, and I particularly enjoy all the cow billboards in the area! I just choose not to go there, in part due to the company's religious charities and in part because of (my perception) that they condone loud roadside preaching. But mostly due to the fact that I'm just not that fond of chicken sandwiches.

Don't worry, next time I'll make sure my team of fact checkers go over my post more carefully before I post about important subjects such as the religiosity of the local chicken restaurant.

I feel like I caused the uproar, JanuaryGirl and I am sorry. You were just posting what you observed. We got info from others (thank you, Baybook) to help clarify just what was going on. I can certainly see how you would think it was on CFA property and thus, had their permission. That is why I kept asking - I knew someone just had to know what the situation really is.

The sad thing is . . . the guy who is doing the self-styled evangelizing obviously chooses spots w/ high traffic (thus impacting everyone who happens to be in the area) and he also doubtless hopes he IS perceived as being associated w/ CFA.

I go back to what I said earlier . . . if you want to work for gay rights, VOTE. See what laws are out there or are being considered - and contact your legislators. That's the way to let your voice be heard.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Must be nice for you to read minds. If only you had an ability to do it correctly. If anything my expresion would have been, more or less .

Why would I assume that this was the norm? Because it was in the restaurant, not outside in the mall, where the mall would have ejected them. I was well aware of the church, too. My boss went there. This would be the boss who haranged at people to ignore Hallloween, & not put up a Christmas tree or to tell little children that there was a Santa Claus.

I had not heard of the owner's religious bent at that time, either.
Never said I read minds... sorry I picked the wrong face but it's just my opinion and certainly wasn't stated as a fact.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Never said I read minds... sorry I picked the wrong face but it's just my opinion and certainly wasn't stated as a fact.
The worst kept secret in NJ & the best kept secret outside of it is that South Jersey is, overall, rural, conservative & the home of a lot of right-wing religious folks. The Rev Carl McIntire operated from there & held a lot of influence. Carl McIntire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I made several attempts to go back to Chick Fil A & each time turned around & left without making a purchase because of the religious nuts in the place. I knew nothing about the company except that. It was not the only business that I avoided for that reason. You can find religious zealots with no problem on the streets & in the parks in Philly & South Jersey. That is why I said that I believed January Girl, while others poo-pooed her.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The worst kept secret in NJ & the best kept secret outside of it is that South Jersey is, overall, rural, conservative & the home of a lot of right-wing religious folks. The Rev Carl McIntire operated from there & held a lot of influence. Carl McIntire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I made several attempts to go back to Chick Fil A & each time turned around & left without making a purchase because of the religious nuts in the place. I knew nothing about the company except that. It was not the only business that I avoided for that reason. You can find religious zealots with no problem on the streets & in the parks in Philly & South Jersey. That is why I said that I believed January Girl, while others poo-pooed her.
Looks like, permits or not, the "noise pollution" laws ought to prohibit folks from using speakers and blaring out to the public, no matter where these people situation themselves.

Seems like complaints on decibel level ought to be enough to shut folks down, if they really are that loud (as it appears the folks are in Concord). I don't care who it is or what message they are spreading - noise pollution is noise pollution and impedes the public from being able to go about their business.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
How can they have a noise ordinance when Dragway & Speedway are about 4 miles away.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Well. The above post is no longer true. No more Chick-fil-A for me! I'm disappointed. Yes, I've seen the sites that list all 487 ingredients in their sandwich, I know it's fast food, not local, from factory chickens. I still chose to go there a few times a year, because for what it was, it was good, the service was always excellent (rare in big cities these days), and our local Chick-fil-A worked hard to promote community events.

They will no longer get my occasional dollars:

http://news.change.org/stories/yes-c...me-sex-couples

And before folks chime in about how they have the right to support or not support what they please: Yes. They absolutely do! AND they will experience consequences for those choices.
Fine by me. That means I can have more since you won't be in front of gobbling up the good stuff. Your loss is MY gain!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
How can they have a noise ordinance when Dragway & Speedway are about 4 miles away.
At least I knew when the noise was supposed to be when they had races, and the town benefits. This guy...You could hear him from near Derita to the other side of Chik Fil A and he had no set schedule as to where and when.

Put it this way: at least I knew what to expect living near a motor sports complex. I knew exactly when the peace was going to be mildly interrupted and that would go to living near any sports facility. Piercing Evangelist doesn't own the tiny pieces of land he uses to spread his gospel, and if he took that same stuff near someone's house he'd either be booted or arrested no matter what time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte