U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM

32 posts, read 107,398 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I know a lot of you have moved from the North East to the Charlotte area and I have a question. Lacrosse is a big sport in the North East. Definitely on Long Island and in Massachusetts. And all those kids who come from the North East and play Lacrosse in college look to come down to North Carolina. Duke and University or North Carolina are huge lacrosse schools.

Why hasn't it caught on yet in North Carolina as a high school sport? I am moving to Union County and I know none of those schools have lacrosse teams. I played lacrosse from the time I was 8 to I graduated high school. I have twin 2 year old boys that already have lacrosse sticks. Are there any programs? How hard is it to push a sport onto the school and try to make it a Varsity Sport?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM

755 posts, read 2,374,025 times
I believe there is children's lacrosse but it's a league like Little League rather than school teams. I knew some people whose sons played. I don't know how it's set-up, but a call to the Parks and Rec department would probably be a good place to start.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,879,753 times
Also from the Northeast...I have a middle-schooler who plays lacrosse. There will be teams at marvin ridge middle and high, as well as at weddington. For younger kids, try Wesley Chapel Weddington Athletic Association - News and Welcome to Stick With Us programs. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions...
As an aside, I know Marvin Ridge Middle is still looking for a spring (boys) lax coach. It is a volunteer position, but they could really use an experienced coach!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 18,641,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer88 View Post
Hi All,

I know a lot of you have moved from the North East to the Charlotte area and I have a question. Lacrosse is a big sport in the North East. Definitely on Long Island and in Massachusetts. And all those kids who come from the North East and play Lacrosse in college look to come down to North Carolina. Duke and University or North Carolina are huge lacrosse schools.

Why hasn't it caught on yet in North Carolina as a high school sport? I am moving to Union County and I know none of those schools have lacrosse teams. I played lacrosse from the time I was 8 to I graduated high school. I have twin 2 year old boys that already have lacrosse sticks. Are there any programs? How hard is it to push a sport onto the school and try to make it a Varsity Sport?
Ity is generally a "club" sport in high school here. Both basketball and football far exceed it in participation due to the preferences of the area.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM

My kids will be going to Sun Valley. I hope by the time they get there they may have a program. I would love to volunteer and coach and I will be down there for the spring, but, I don't think my work schedule will allow an after school coaching stint.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,820,722 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Public and private schools in Mecklenburg County have Lacrosse teams

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM

I want to thank everyone for the information. At least I know there is hope. My kids have 8 years or so before they go to middle school, maybe I can push it along and there will be a team by then.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,879,753 times
Quote:
My kids will be going to Sun Valley. I hope by the time they get there they may have a program. I would love to volunteer and coach and I will be down there for the spring, but, I don't think my work schedule will allow an after school coaching stint.
Since your kids are still young, definitely check out wcwaa.org -- they can still play there (I think they start in 2nd or 3rd grade) even if you are over in the Sun Valley school area.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 AM

26 posts, read 103,826 times
Most high schools do have lacrosse teams. I played at South Meck a few years ago and we played Butler, Hopewell, Providence, Olympic, North Meck, Weddington, Myers Park and East Meck. There may have been a few others as well.

As far as it becoming a varsity sport... it is at most private schools, but whats the difference? Even though it was a club sport for us at South, the yearly fee wasn't bad and it payed for the bus, uniforms, bags, coach's pay, etc. My last year they let us play on Friday nights in the football stadium.

It may be a "club sport" at public schools now but every year it gets bigger and bigger. I'd give it 5 yrs and CMS will start putting lacrosse in the budget.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 AM

26 posts, read 103,826 times
I apologize, I did not see that they were 2. Disregard my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte