Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Columbia is hot and miserable. I would never live there. Way better spots in the Carolinas.
LOL, that's negligible given that Charlotte isn't significantly cooler in the late spring/summer, especially in the middle of this particular heat wave we're having. The upside is that Columbia is generally a little milder in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Charlotte>Columbia

Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, that's negligible given that Charlotte isn't significantly cooler in the late spring/summer, especially in the middle of this particular heat wave we're having. The upside is that Columbia is generally a little milder in the winter.
Charlotte doesn't average 90+ degrees for any month. Columbia does for 3 months. Add the 80%+ average humidity throughout the YEAR and you get the Hot and Miserable I mentioned. Charlotte has humidity but not nearly what is experienced in Columbia. Columbia didn't name their slogan "Famously Hot" for no reason... it is because everybody realizes how hot/humid Columbia is. Sure it's not to the level of inland Florida or Lousiana but it is pretty darn close.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 150,258 times
Currently I live in the midwest but I have lived in both Charlotte & Columbia. I would choose to live in Charlotte again but never Columbia. The heat and humidity are far, far worse than Charlotte. The city of Charlotte and surrounding suburbs are just much nicer, in my opinion.

As far as schools go, CMS has its challenges but if you do your research I'm sure you can find good neighborhood schools.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
The distance between Columbia and Charlotte looks small on a map, but there's a real climatological difference in the summers and winters. The summers have been discussed enough... winters in Columbia are milder, but when Charlotte gets a wet snow, it's probably sleet or freezing rain in Columbia.

Columbia strikes me as a sprawling mess when I've driven through it. Lots of commercial streets cluttered with ugly signage. It feels larger than it is. It can be interesting to visit for the riverfront or the zoo, but it's not as nice as Greenville IMO and doesn't have the variety of things you'll find to do around Charlotte.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Charlotte doesn't average 90+ degrees for any month. Columbia does for 3 months. Add the 80%+ average humidity throughout the YEAR and you get the Hot and Miserable I mentioned. Charlotte has humidity but not nearly what is experienced in Columbia. Columbia didn't name their slogan "Famously Hot" for no reason... it is because everybody realizes how hot/humid Columbia is. Sure it's not to the level of inland Florida or Lousiana but it is pretty darn close.
Actually Charlotte does indeed average 90 degrees for July and early August and averages 80%+ humidity for a good part of the year also. These are from the Charlotte city-data.com page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieV6 View Post
Currently I live in the midwest but I have lived in both Charlotte & Columbia. I would choose to live in Charlotte again but never Columbia. The heat and humidity are far, far worse than Charlotte. The city of Charlotte and surrounding suburbs are just much nicer, in my opinion.

As far as schools go, CMS has its challenges but if you do your research I'm sure you can find good neighborhood schools.
On average Columbia is hotter and more humid, but I don't find it to be the drastic difference that many make it out to be. And as I said, the upside of that for Columbia is milder winters. And certainly, Charlotte and its suburbs have a whole lot more newer development (which is usually what most mean by "nicer"); that cannot be disputed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Columbia strikes me as a sprawling mess when I've driven through it. Lots of commercial streets cluttered with ugly signage. It feels larger than it is. It can be interesting to visit for the riverfront or the zoo, but it's not as nice as Greenville IMO and doesn't have the variety of things you'll find to do around Charlotte.
"Sprawling mess"...interesting, as Charlotte certainly sprawls more--and that makes sense, because Charlotte is twice as big. I find some parallels in their suburban areas. Independence in Charlotte is somewhat like Two Notch in Columbia. Concord Mills Blvd and Harbison Blvd are similar. Northeast Columbia and University City are somewhat alike. It's pretty interesting that you'd say that Columbia isn't as nice as Greenville, but I suspect you're only talking about the urban core which is the only part of Greenville most outsiders are really familiar with. Outside of downtown Greenville, which is relatively small, you've got sprawling commercial corridors in practically every direction, with many of them not the nicest to look at but most people who access downtown via I-385 and don't venture anywhere else in the city, except maybe the Woodruff/Haywood areas, wouldn't see that. Greenville's urban core has more synergy and is more compact, but Columbia does better in overall city-wide investment IMO.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-04-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
The distance between Columbia and Charlotte looks small on a map, but there's a real climatological difference in the summers and winters. The summers have been discussed enough... winters in Columbia are milder, but when Charlotte gets a wet snow, it's probably sleet or freezing rain in Columbia.

Sprawling mess? Not sure any city in the south is a picture of urban development at its best. Greenville has a nice Main St but sprawls way more than Columbia. Upstate SC is terrible for sprawl.

As for Columbia v Charlotte, they are different cities. Charlotte is much larger with more amenities. However, Columbia has a major research university, if you like college sports, Columbia beats Charlotte.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,516 times
I think you would like Charlotte better especially south Charlotte. I am a real estate agent and whoever I moved to Charlotte in the past 10 years, they still love it!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM

57 posts, read 132,910 times
I also agree, Columbia is a furnace/oven. There is no breeze, the humidity is higher, the temps higher, etc. It is unbelievably hotter than CLT.

Now, as it relates to living there or here, Charlotte is hands down the better option on all fronts. I cant think of one criteria where Columbia beats Charlotte. Just my $.02. If you travel, like a nice meal, need to raise kids, want a larger pool of employers, want professional sports/culture, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwavex View Post
I cant think of one criteria where Columbia beats Charlotte.
A younger demographic downtown, a downtown along a river, a signature urban park...those are a few that are mostly a function of design. Oh, and right now, Columbia's unemployment rate is lower and in this economic environment, that can mean a lot. I think the OP should land the job first in whichever city then make a visit to see if that city is a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte