Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 17,969 times

Advertisements

There is no link to do this on charmeck.org but you can call 311 and report an issue. I have already called regarding the intersection below but you can call and make a complaint about any traffic light that you feel is not in the best interest of traffic flow.

Mallard Creek Road @ Governor Hunt Road

If you are like me and frequent this intersection (multiple times daily) you know that this light has stopped you just about every time you've approached it and wasted your time and gas for one or two cars to turn from Governor Hunt. I figured out that anytime a car pulls up to the turn lane on Governor Hunt to turn onto Mallard Creek the light on Mallard Creek almost IMMEDIATELY changes. Once it returns to green, it is usually a max of ten seconds before the light will again change to stop a minimum of 20-30 cars on Mallard Creek to allow maybe one or two cars from Governor Hunt to enter Mallard Creek. On average, I get stopped at least 9/10 times I have tried to cross this intersection which is absolutely retarded given that there are hundreds of cars every minute passing through on Mallard Creek and maybe a few every 5 minutes from Governor Hunt.

PLEASE CALL 311 and report this intersection for investigation. I was told that it only takes a few phone calls for DOT engineers to reevaluate and change the timing for the light. Just let whomever you speak with know that they need to adjust the time it takes before the light changes to at least 30 seconds to 1 minute AFTER a car has triggered the sensor under the pavement in the turn lane on Governor Hunt. There also needs to be at least a few minute delay before the light can repeat a change cycle again - NOT 10-15 seconds. The light duration should realistically be a max of 5 seconds for Governor Hunt, considering it's never more than one or two cars.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
- A concerned local citizen of Charlotte for 30+ years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I know this is a dumb question, but please humor me . . . cause it is asked in all sincerity.

How do you know which intersections have lights triggered by sensors and which intersections are simply set up on timers?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 17,969 times
Good question - you don't unless you pay close attention to when the lights change like the one I mentioned above; normally, they are not as quick to respond either. They may be able to tell you when you call 311, but most are just on a timer with the exception of probably a majority of turn lanes in semi-major intersections. The sensors are usually there to help speed the flow of traffic by eliminating the need for a turn lane to get a green in case there are no cars waiting. In this case, I know that there is a sensor because the light on Mallard Creek changes almost immediately when I see one car pull up to the empty turn lane on Governor Hunt.

I think the best reason to complain is when a secondary road is changing too frequently and it's actually impeding the much larger traffic flow on a major road just so that a few cars can join. Personally, I think every light on and in the vicinity of Harris Blvd should be reevaluated as it seems they all are poorly programmed.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Harris Blvd has been that way for decades and so aggravating to drive. I remember frustration back in mid 90's stopping what seem every light from 77 interchange down to 85.

Im sure those who travel that route to head towards University area will be glad when 485 is done.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCM5 View Post
Good question - you don't unless you pay close attention to when the lights change like the one I mentioned above; normally, they are not as quick to respond either. They may be able to tell you when you call 311, but most are just on a timer with the exception of probably a majority of turn lanes in semi-major intersections. The sensors are usually there to help speed the flow of traffic by eliminating the need for a turn lane to get a green in case there are no cars waiting. In this case, I know that there is a sensor because the light on Mallard Creek changes almost immediately when I see one car pull up to the empty turn lane on Governor Hunt.

I think the best reason to complain is when a secondary road is changing too frequently and it's actually impeding the much larger traffic flow on a major road just so that a few cars can join. Personally, I think every light on and in the vicinity of Harris Blvd should be reevaluated as it seems they all are poorly programmed.
I have wondered about this many times in the past. The community I lived in previously (in Kansas) had the majority of intersections with sensors and it was a much more seamless process w/ traffic control. But I had noticed that most intersections here in this region don't seem to have sensors that trigger traffic movement.

I have been told in the past (and this was MANY years ago) that DOT can perform a traffic count at any time, but that it costs quite a lot to do it . . . I fully admit I am ignorant as to what roads and highways are maintained by the state vs. county . . . I used to know a way to tell the difference based on the highways legal "number." If the road is county maintained, I wonder if DOT is responsible for initiating a traffic count . . . ?

In any case, I hope you will be successful in getting someone to assess traffic movement for the area you are concerned about.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
...I lived in previously (in Kansas) ...
You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

Yeah, I had to go there.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

Yeah, I had to go there.

Yeah, but I still have the ruby slippers. It appears they only work one-way, tho. I guess that's because home truly is - and always will be - NC.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Harris Blvd has been that way for decades and so aggravating to drive. I remember frustration back in mid 90's stopping what seem every light from 77 interchange down to 85.

Im sure those who travel that route to head towards University area will be glad when 485 is done.
I used to live up there and those lights were INSANE. I think another big is that there are about 4 lights in less than a quarter mile right around Tryon. I don't know how you could time those to be all green at the same time without causing a problem for cross traffic.

Ani, I think the only way you can really know if it is on a timer vs. sensor is having to just sit there for minutes while there is no cross traffic. Turning left onto 5th St. from 6th. St. is like that. Every morning I waste a couple minutes waiting for the light to change.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I used to live up there and those lights were INSANE. I think another big is that there are about 4 lights in less than a quarter mile right around Tryon. I don't know how you could time those to be all green at the same time without causing a problem for cross traffic.

Ani, I think the only way you can really know if it is on a timer vs. sensor is having to just sit there for minutes while there is no cross traffic. Turning left onto 5th St. from 6th. St. is like that. Every morning I waste a couple minutes waiting for the light to change.
I think you are right. Seems a LOT of the intersections here are on timers, not sensors. I guess they are expensive to retrofit.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,552 times
The problem with the Charlotte DoT is that the traffic light patterns have, for the most part as long as I can remember, been designed to hinder traffic flow, not keep it moving. Maybe it's to cut down on speedsters. What they don't realize, is that it only aggravates drivers more, causing more aggressive driving to try and beat the lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte