Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,199 times

Advertisements

Bobcats really need to either become a winning team or get an exciting star level player that people want to see. As of right now there's no exciting player on the team and I'd say we have one of the worst rosters in the entire NBA. Jordan pretty much gutted the team to free up cap space in hopes of signing such player, but in reality no superstar is going to come to Charlotte just because it's Charlotte.

Their best hope is to get a star player via the draft that they can build around and put a winning product on the floor. Then the fans will come on a consistent basis.

There's still some bitterness in Charlotte about the Hornets, but there seemed to be genuine excitement for the team in 2010 when they made it to the playoffs and played against Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Bobcats really need to either become a winning team or get an exciting star level player that people want to see. As of right now there's no exciting player on the team and I'd say we have one of the worst rosters in the entire NBA. Jordan pretty much gutted the team to free up cap space in hopes of signing such player, but in reality no superstar is going to come to Charlotte just because it's Charlotte.

Their best hope is to get a star player via the draft that they can build around and put a winning product on the floor. Then the fans will come on a consistent basis.

There's still some bitterness in Charlotte about the Hornets, but there seemed to be genuine excitement for the team in 2010 when they made it to the playoffs and played against Orlando.
I wasn't here when the Hornets left. I can understand the frustration over the Hornets leaving but why hold it against the Bobcats?

I agree on the star player and they won't get him through FA. They have to draft wisely and while I don't like Walker's size he is going to be a play maker IMO.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,708 times
I went to a Bobcats game last night and was barely into watching the game. If I didn't get free tickets from work I would have zero interest in them whatsoever.
The lockout didn't help the NBA win people's hearts either.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 AM

116 posts, read 255,596 times
Winning cures it all...once they have an exciting team to watch, people will line up.
Let's hope that the rebuilt goes well and after another high draft pick this summer, things turn around for next year.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I went to a Bobcats game last night and was barely into watching the game. If I didn't get free tickets from work I would have zero interest in them whatsoever.
The lockout didn't help the NBA win people's hearts either.
I've never had to pay for a game because my company has tickets...

I definitely have more interest when they are playing someone good.

Getting free tickets makes it easy to not pay attention because you aren't wasting your money.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
As of right now there's no exciting player on the team and I'd say we have one of the worst rosters in the entire NBA.
I guess you haven't seen the Cavs, Pistons, Timberwolves, Washington, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Houston, etc rosters. At least, we have more good pieces than these teams. We shave Diaw and get a good big man who can rebound (potential draft options - Sullinger, Moultrie, A. Davis, etc) and we should be fairly competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeltDesigner
I've never had to pay for a game because my company has tickets...
That used to be me in Miami. I miss those days

Granted, promotions like this week's $5 upper bowl seats for Hawks, Rockets, and Pistons really help give that sensation of free tickets, especially since they gave away free tickets to the Pistons game (for the whole stadium) at the Hawks game (3pt half time promotion).

Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Well to answer your question when the bar starts getting requests every night for the game then they will start putting it on. Until then your probably going to have to ask.

The bobcats have a lot of issues. Most didn't want the arena. They have a bad product, they are a small market. The arena is quirky.(am I the only one that don't like it.) They have a questionable owner. I don't know if MJ will ever be successful running a basketball team. Another thing I think a lot of folks are starting to learn what an azz MJ is, and that isn't helping matters any. Charlotte is a small town, and stuff gets around very quickly.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Well to answer your question when the bar starts getting requests every night for the game then they will start putting it on. Until then your probably going to have to ask.

The bobcats have a lot of issues. Most didn't want the arena. They have a bad product, they are a small market. The arena is quirky.(am I the only one that don't like it.) They have a questionable owner. I don't know if MJ will ever be successful running a basketball team. Another thing I think a lot of folks are starting to learn what an azz MJ is, and that isn't helping matters any. Charlotte is a small town, and stuff gets around very quickly.
Most owners aren't well liked or nice people. MJ gets a bad rap because people think he is going to be the "Like Mike" commercial Mike and instead they find out he is another Tiger Woods, Andre Aggassi, Nike guy who likes to gamble and bag chicks.

Jerry Richardson sounded like a slave owner in the interview I heard when he finally broke his silence and scared Luck into going back to school. He has Cam (as long as he doesn't get tattoo's) and now he won't have a problem filling seats.

Not sure why people don't like the arena..that's a plus IMO. Call me crazy but when I came to Charlotte to visit and I saw the arena downtown it felt like Charlotte was a progressive city. The arena empties and people spill out into downtown and spend more money.

Nothing worse IMO then riding 40 minutes outside the city to watch a game.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,529,623 times
Even the media caters to the superstars and the high profile teams. TNT, ESPN are only going to rotate teams playing OKC, Miami, Boston, Dallas, the Lakers, and now the Clippers due to the additions of Chris Paul and Billups.

If the media will only cater to the superstars, then Charlotte must get a plan to get higher-profile players.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Not sure why people don't like the arena..that's a plus IMO. Call me crazy but when I came to Charlotte to visit and I saw the arena downtown it felt like Charlotte was a progressive city. The arena empties and people spill out into downtown and spend more money.

Nothing worse IMO then riding 40 minutes outside the city to watch a game.
Agreed; and NO, not everyone here hates the arena. The Charlotte Coliseum never should have been built in the cow pastures of West Charlotte on Tyvola Road. However, there are still those folks who would rather drive out into the sticks instead of going into the "city" for an arena event. For me though, riding a crowded train into uptown with the options of Epicentre and food within walking distance of the arena is 90% of the experience. IMO, the Bobcats' attendance would be worse if this team was playing in a less-than-desirable and boring location.

This goes back to my point earlier that the Bobcats can't get away with the things that the Hornets did. Charlotte was a "virgin" pro-sports market back then. That changed in the mid 90s when the Panthers came to town (and located uptown). For the first time, Charlotte's skyline was being televised nationally thanks to the Panthers. Soon after the Panthers' arrival, came the push for a downtown arena for the Hornets (surprise, surprise ).

George Shinn had NO desire in helping central Charlotte until Jerry Richardson did it first. Richardson understood how important it was for a downtown stadium; Shinn wanted the cheapest land he could find for his arena (which was originally built to compete for college games that were being played at the suburban Greensboro Coliseum). Shinn got his wish by hosting the Final Four in the early 90s (and then some by hosting Charlotte's NBA expansion team in the late 80s).

Arena issues aside, Charlotte has grown (population and mentality) quite a bit since the days of the Hornets. In the days of the Hornets, people here got giddy just by seeing Charlotte's name on TV. This "giddiness" even made it's way into areas of NC that were not in Charlotte's metro. The "ego-trip" however died when the Hornets left town.

Today, there are at least 250,000 Charlotteans that were not here during the heyday of the Hornets (yourself, my wife, and my sons included). These folks never knew what it was like to be a Charlottean during those days. As a result, many of the new Charlotteans just don't understand how a city can have so much hate towards its own team and arena. The short answer is that the arena and the Bobcats both are reminders of Charlotte's biggest let down (IMO, a bigger let down than the Panthers losing the Superbowl). I say that because people still love the Panthers and hope for another chance. The Bobcats have to win and win NOW in order to get this city behind them; the wounds from the Hornets let down are still there.

Think about it, what do you see around here more; Bobcats gear or Charlotte Hornets "snapback" gear? Even "Superman" knows which one is more popular around here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte