Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering about the access points for this Walmart as soon as it was announced. A matter of fact, I kept thinking, "They cant be building a Walmart there because traffic will be horrible."

Does anyone know it is going to be open 24 hours? That may even effect the times that Independence isnt that bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM

181 posts, read 353,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Going eastbound, there is an exit lane. If you are going westbound I assume you would have to take the turn to go back to the eastbound side of 74.
Yeah, I'm not sure how that is going to work. There is a new sign on Independence westbound (at the eastway intersection) that says pierson drive. I don't know if they plan on making an access road along the front of the coliseum shoping center, or just telling people where to make a u-turn for the existing pierson dr. exit.

It's not shown in this pic, but the new pierson sign hangs under the wendover sign.
Attached Thumbnails
New Wal-mart on 74?-pier.jpg  

Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 AM

601 posts, read 963,866 times
There's a very direct way of getting to Walmart on both sides of Independence Blvd:

35.200773,-80.773376 - Google Maps

If you're westbound, you can turn on to Wilshire Place, and then turn right on to Pierson Dr. Likewise, if you're eastbound, turn right on the exit that's immediately on your right, after you cross over Pierson Dr. on Independence Blvd.

If you're coming Monroe, then this is when it gets tricky. It seems like at one point, you could simply turn on to Chippendale road, then Seifert, and then onto Pierson. However, for whatever reason, Pierson Dr. is divided from the other side that has Walmart on it, and I'm not sure if the city will correct this in the immediate future. Although you could maneuver your way through the back roads, it's best to just take Sharon Amity onto Independence and go from there.

Also, the grand opening should be next Wednesday. If it's like the other grand openings of Walmart, then they might hand out gift cards to those in line. I hear this Walmart will be between the size of a regular Walmart, and a supercenter. I don't know if they'll be open 24 hours, or if it'll have the same hours as the Eastway location

Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
If you're coming Monroe, then this is when it gets tricky. It seems like at one point, you could simply turn on to Chippendale road, then Seifert, and then onto Pierson. However, for whatever reason, Pierson Dr. is divided from the other side that has Walmart on it, and I'm not sure if the city will correct this in the immediate future. Although you could maneuver your way through the back roads, it's best to just take Sharon Amity onto Independence and go from there.
I'd think if you were coming from Monroe Road, it'd be easier to go down Lanier to Unaka to Eaton to Kistler to Pierson. Lots of turns and stops but you don't have to deal with 74 that way.

I agree about Wilshire, that is most defiinitely the easier way to get to Pierson vs. going all the way down to Eastway.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Or if you are coming from monroe rd, you use wendover or sharon amity and access 74. That way you do not ruin the neighborhoods that surround walmall. At least be half way considerate of people living in these areas.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
At least be half way considerate of people living in these areas.
Well, I won't be using this Walmart (I'm closer to two others), but you can't tell people they should take some roundabout way because it will upset the locals if they use their streets. The streets are available for all to use, not just the people who live in the neighborhood. Sorry.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Would you like your neighborhood to become a cut through to, of all places, walmart? I doubt it. People will try and get through the streets as fast as they can. Expect speeding,careless driving,etc. Wendover or Sharon Amity aren't out of the way. You are already going to fight crowds at walmart, it's not like you are going to the corner store. They are neighborhood roads, not major roads designed for lots of traffic.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Would you like your neighborhood to become a cut through to, of all places, walmart? I doubt it. People will try and get through the streets as fast as they can. Expect speeding,careless driving,etc. Wendover or Sharon Amity aren't out of the way. You are already going to fight crowds at walmart, it's not like you are going to the corner store. They are neighborhood roads, not major roads designed for lots of traffic.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Or if you are coming from monroe rd, you use wendover or sharon amity and access 74. That way you do not ruin the neighborhoods that surround walmall. At least be half way considerate of people living in these areas.
tough luck on them. Sorry but as long as it is a public street I am using it. I will
Mind the speed limit and be careful though.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM

601 posts, read 963,866 times
The grand opening is at 8AM tomorrow morning. Anybody going to attend? They may give out gift cards to those at the opening ceremony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte