Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Is it significant that the Wilkinson Blvd map comes up looking towards a building "For lease"? So much for rebuilding that area.

The streetview images on google are a bit dated. I could be wrong, but I have serious doubts that the new building in that image (which is not "new" any more) is still vacant. Maybe one or two empty units, but not a 100% empty building. Still though, Wilkinson is without a doubt closer to being a finished product than Independence. Do yourself a favor (whenever you have some free time to kill) and check out both in person. The difference between the two is like night vs day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The streetview images on google are a bit dated. I could be wrong, but I have serious doubts that the new building in that image (which is not "new" any more) is still vacant. Maybe one or two empty units, but not a 100% empty building. Still though, Wilkinson is without a doubt closer to being a finished product than Independence. Do yourself a favor (whenever you have some free time to kill) and check out both in person. The difference between the two is like night vs day.
That was a joke as much as anything, based on your touting the improvements.

I've been through there a few times recently and the place does look a lot better than it did just a few years ago. Unlike Independence, Wilkinson still has easy access in both directions. The road changes severely hurt Independence, and it's only going to get worse as the freeway progresses.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That was a joke as much as anything, based on your touting the improvements.

I've been through there a few times recently and the place does look a lot better than it did just a few years ago. Unlike Independence, Wilkinson still has easy access in both directions. The road changes severely hurt Independence, and it's only going to get worse as the freeway progresses.
Independence *should* be a freeway, and the State's refusal to push forward with that plan is what has sounded the death knell.

Look at the areas adjacent to Independence where it looks like a true highway... Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood and Chantilly have thrived since their links to Independence have been severed.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 AM

150 posts, read 324,769 times
I was under the impression that the new wal mart's parking lot was going to connect with the neighboring coliseum shopping center parking lot, therefore exchanging traffic, and bringing life back to the old coliseum center, however, this does not appear to be the case. How is walmart going to help to revive the area if it's closed off from everything else?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
I was under the impression that the new wal mart's parking lot was going to connect with the neighboring coliseum shopping center parking lot, therefore exchanging traffic, and bringing life back to the old coliseum center, however, this does not appear to be the case. How is walmart going to help to revive the area if it's closed off from everything else?
May I was where you got that impression? WalMart is not one to "share" business so I assumed from the get go that their lot would be closed off.

What really sucks about the exit from WalMart onto 74 is that people are pulling out and trying to cross the 4 lanes to get to Albermarle.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
IMO Independence is only a problem during rush hour to and from work. I've never had an issue with the traffic after 7 PM or after 9 AM...

I'm curious to see how the traffic at Walmart is handled. I fear Monroe will be packed now with people trying to get around Independence to get to Walmart.
OMG- dread to think what it's like at rush hour-only been on it on Saturdays and it's awful. Not particularly massive amounts of traffic-just all the traffic signals and the way people drive-any lane for any speed and weaving in and out of lanes, both lanes doing the same speed etc etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM

181 posts, read 353,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
OMG- dread to think what it's like at rush hour-only been on it on Saturdays and it's awful. Not particularly massive amounts of traffic-just all the traffic signals and the way people drive-any lane for any speed and weaving in and out of lanes, both lanes doing the same speed etc etc.
Moronic driving on Independence was there before the Walmart. The speed limit is 45 through there but people drive 60+.

Went to the new w-m last week.Nice store. Parking lot was slammed full but I found a space no problem. Zero traffic problems entering or leaving. Granted it was around 7pm. Left out of the pierson dr exit. For the idiots trying to get to albemarle rd, maybe they will have an easier time when the new sharon amity overpass is completed.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Rush hour is really not that bad (IMO). There is thick traffic to be sure but no one is weaving cause there is no point in doing so.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
My wife and I went there on opening day (9:20 that night to be exact). As soon as I parked my car and opened the door, some strange woman came up to my wife's door asking for change. The woman came out of nowhere and kinda scared us. We told her "no" in a nice way and she casually went to another vehicle (still asking for money). We later found out that this particular Wal-Mart will NOT be 24 hours. IMO, they should close when the sun goes down, not 12 midnight.

Other than the creepy woman in the parking lot, I thought that the store was rather nice (given the neighborhood). I usually don't care when a place like Wal-mart opens. However, it is interesting when one opens in "the hood". Still though, it will take MUCH more than Wal-Mart to turn that area around.
Wow.... once again someone on CD turns a whole segment of Charlotte into thug plaza central because they had an "experience"

Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
I went there because I wanted to be a part of that area's rebirth. The best way to do that is to spend money there. The closest Wal-Mart to my house is the one near I-485 and South Tryon. I've been shopping there since my return to Charlotte back in late 2007. Never (and I mean NEVER) has anyone asked me for money in that Wal-mart's parking lot. Day 1 at the "eastside" Wal-Mart and there "she" was; stumbling/mumbling/high as a kite and desperate for pocket change. The poor girl looked like death walking (and smelled like it too).

Other than our "parking lot greeter", we (my wife and I) had a pleasant experience and we will be shopping there again. The staff was friendly, the store was clean, and the turn around to US-74 west was fairly simple.

Anyways, this new Wal-Mart could be a sign of better times for that particular stretch of the eastside. I'd love to see more businesses and higher-end apartments (condos or townhomes) in that corridor.
Not sure how spending money at this Walmart will help the area. The other stores are the ones who need help.... and hopefully those who come to shop will also spend money at a few other businesses.

Still don't understand how 1 female asking for change or looking like death puts the mark of death on the whole neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte