U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,969 posts, read 3,248,448 times
Reputation: 2911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post


Um, not really. The natives I have met are far from doom and gloom. They just see the negative of the transplants. Since Charlotte has boomed with population, their own cost of living has skyrocketed from property taxes to groceries.

Infrastructure is the biggest issue.

The next biggest issue is the attitudes of many of the transplants. If it is not a complaint about something not being like it is 'back home' then it is a complaint about the lack of development down here. For example, my husband ran into a fairly recent transplant from NYC recently while working, and she felt Charlotte has too many trees and they needed to be bulldozed down for shopping.

There are also bad attitudes about how things are evolving down here. Union Co discussed increasing property taxes to make up revenue short falls. There has also been discussions about charging tolls for highway use. Every time something like this is proposed, the news crews always interview a transplants that is "appalled!" at the thought of increased taxes because they moved down here to get away from the high taxes.

With enough transplant influence moving into the local governing bodies, eventually the area will turn into the place you moved from.

So in other words, the natives are concerned about "stupid" spreading.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
 
6,131 posts, read 8,641,249 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I do scan the Baltimore board, and I hardly consider a couple threads over the course of a couple years the same as the frequency with which the topic is discussed in Charlotte (that's why the chatter referring to transplants on the Charlotte board struck me as odd and I inquired what's been happening there lately).

I know the city very well - I have lived in Baltimore 27 years; 17 years, then returned years later, and now another 9.5 years. My entire family is here. I have never one time, very literally, ever heard any local (my family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc) ever refer to transplants, nonetheless, their effect, negative or positive, on our city. But that is probably because despite our low cost of living, fairly stable economy (considering the circumstances), and close proximity to powerhouses like DC and NYC, we surprisingly haven't seen as huge of a boom of people relocating to Baltimore as Charlotte has seen (likely due to our less than desirable weather, crime in certain parts, etc, IMO).

I have, however, heard locals grumbling about the negative effects of the re-zoning of Section 8, the future of the light rail, the revitalization of the wraterfront (as now people who have had their homes for decades can't afford the neighborhood any more), and topics such as that. But that has nothing to do with people moving to our fair city.
While certainly not as many as this board, its been more than a couple threads, those were just two that I thought of off the top of my head.

But your last point does have a little to do with transplants, and there were threads about that too. People were complaining that natives that have lived there their whole lives can't afford to pay the taxes, and sometimes (not always) its transplants moving in and making the property values go up.

But referring to Baltimore city at least, in general people are probably just happy that other people are moving in since the population is actually decreasing (which obviously isn't the case for Charlotte).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
 
222 posts, read 491,601 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Any young professional not "thrilled" about moving to bug-tussle doesn't really have to, plenty of equivalent opportunities in bigger sun belt cities (Dallas, Hou, Atl, etc.). Plus, their stay can be temporary (1-3 years) while seeking a transition if "forced" to move here.
Dude, 1-3 years is a long time, especially when you're young.

As far as people having the option to leave Charlotte if they don't like it, I mean, in this economy, who's going to quit their job? And how easy is it to find a new one? We're living through the worst economic times since the 1930s. People are just happy to have a job right now. I really think this notion that people who aren't happy with Charlotte should just pick up and move is a bit much given the economic situation on the ground in this country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
 
13,534 posts, read 10,438,111 times
Reputation: 6392
1-3 a long time to for someone who exaggerates and acts like living in Charlotte is the end of the world but in reality it's a pretty short amount of time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
 
653 posts, read 819,941 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
While certainly not as many as this board, its been more than a couple threads, those were just two that I thought of off the top of my head.

But your last point does have a little to do with transplants, and there were threads about that too. People were complaining that natives that have lived there their whole lives can't afford to pay the taxes, and sometimes (not always) its transplants moving in and making the property values go up.

But referring to Baltimore city at least, in general people are probably just happy that other people are moving in since the population is actually decreasing (which obviously isn't the case for Charlotte).
I think you're a sweet person, but I'm not sure how this thread became about Baltimore, versus the original question posted, however, (and believe me, I don't mean this in the rude way it may sound but...) do you have family, friends, and co-workers who live in the area affected by the redevelopment of Baltimore's waterfront. I do. I grew up there. I inherited the home I grew up in there. My father, aunts, uncles, and cousins still live there. I've also worked on the waterfront for the last 7 years (so yes, I work, play, and have lived there for 27 years, and my family has been in this location for three generations when they got off the boat). I'm pretty sure I'm as close to the pulse of that area and topic as one can get, despite a couple threads you read on a message board, or experienced during a 24-month stay here.

As for Baltimore city population, yes, city population has gone down, but the county population has gone up. Any idea why that is? I do. But that's not the point of this thread.

Again, I didn't mean any of that in a rude way. Let's please get back on topic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM
 
6,131 posts, read 8,641,249 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I think you're a sweet person, but I'm not sure how this thread became about Baltimore, versus the original question posted, however, (and believe me, I don't mean this in the rude way it may sound but...) do you have family, friends, and co-workers who live in the area affected by the redevelopment of Baltimore's waterfront. I do. I grew up there. I inherited the home I grew up in there. My father, aunts, uncles, and cousins still live there. I've also worked on the waterfront for the last 7 years (so yes, I work, play, and have lived there for 27 years, and my family has been in this location for three generations when they got off the boat). I'm pretty sure I'm as close to the pulse of that area and topic as one can get, despite a couple threads you read on a message board, or experienced during a 24-month stay here.

As for Baltimore city population, yes, city population has gone down, but the county population has gone up. Any idea why that is? I do. But that's not the point of this thread.

Again, I didn't mean any of that in a rude way. Let's please get back on topic.
I thought the topic was about why City-Data posters have such strong opinions about transplants...hence the references to various threads about them on other boards.

I also thought the topic was about how Charlotte native's opinions of transplants differed from those in other cities. You were the one that mentioned Baltimore, and you said that you had never heard anyone talk about transplants in your 27 years of living there. In my 24 months of living there, I did. But it usually wasn't really anything negative. After telling people I was from NJ, it was usually just a quick comment like "yeah there are a lot of people from NJ moving here." So overall, I agree, there is much more talk about the effect of transplants in Charlotte than in Baltimore and probably many other cities. I was just pointing out that it's not a phenomenon unique to Charlotte.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,883 posts, read 70,353,947 times
Reputation: 22582
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I thought the topic was about why City-Data posters have such strong opinions about transplants...hence the references to various threads about them on other boards.

I also thought the topic was about how Charlotte native's opinions of transplants differed from those in other cities. You were the one that mentioned Baltimore, and you said that you had never heard anyone talk about transplants in your 27 years of living there. In my 24 months of living there, I did. But it usually wasn't really anything negative. After telling people I was from NJ, it was usually just a quick comment like "yeah there are a lot of people from NJ moving here." So overall, I agree, there is much more talk about the effect of transplants in Charlotte than in Baltimore and probably many other cities. I was just pointing out that it's not a phenomenon unique to Charlotte.
I thought that is what the thread was about, also.

And no one responded to my earlier post . . . that most of the discussion that goes on about "transplants" is typically posted by a TRANSPLANT (or as I like to refer to such folks - "newcomer"). I don't know when I have seen a C-D member who is a native of the area open a thread about newcomers. Typically, discussion arises b/c a newcomer is complaining about something or confused about something . . .

As I pointed out, even THIS THREAD was opened by someone who doesn't live here.

Which makes me wonder . . . why would someone from another area of the country (who isn't planning on relocating here) even have an opinion on the posts here on this forum? As several folks have pointed out - people move all over the country. There are gonna be negative opinions about the area - on everything from "people are unfriendly" to the traffic, the lack of jobs, "I can't find my favorite food," etc. etc. Those discussions are just naturally gonna occur when people relocate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM
 
653 posts, read 819,941 times
Reputation: 408
I'm quickly learning about C-D and Charlotte. Thanks.

You're correct, the thread was about C-D and CHARLOTTE. I already know about Baltimore. I'm sorry there was any confusion.

I'm also now sorry to have asked the question. I didn't realize it would cause yet more torment on an already hostile board.

I will not be recommending my mother to relocate to Charlotte.

Thank you, and all the best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM
 
6,131 posts, read 8,641,249 times
Reputation: 3622
LOL...in your very last post you made a comment basically saying you can't really tell the "pulse" of an area by reading C-D. And I agree. But now it seems like you've written off Charlotte...based off of C-D...

And honestly, as far as the hostility of natives on C-D goes, I think although there are fewer of them, the angry natives on the Baltimore/MD forums are worse than the ones on the Charlotte forum. On the Charlotte forum, the generic response is usually just "please don't move here without a job because there are none here." Yet someone on the Baltimore forum internet-flipped out on me because I asked a serious question of why Dundalk was supposedly pronounced like "Dun-dock"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 AM
 
653 posts, read 819,941 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
LOL...in your very last post you made a comment basically saying you can't really tell the "pulse" of an area by reading C-D. And I agree. But now it seems like you've written off Charlotte...based off of C-D...

And honestly, as far as the hostility of natives on C-D goes, I think although there are fewer of them, the angry natives on the Baltimore/MD forums are worse than the ones on the Charlotte forum. On the Charlotte forum, the generic response is usually just "please don't move here without a job because there are none here." Yet someone on the Baltimore forum internet-flipped out on me because I asked a serious question of why Dundalk was supposedly pronounced like "Dun-dock"
I knew that there'd be (at least) one person to jump to conclusions.

Do you know whether I already visited Charlotte?

Do you know whether I've done other research on Charlotte?

Do you know whether I've spoken to other people from Charlotte?

You don't.

You know what they say about assumptions.

I am stopping updates from this thread, so any future comments won't be received (thankfully).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top