U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
 
6,126 posts, read 8,601,643 times
Reputation: 3617

Advertisements

Haha yeah I guess I don't know what he was asking for either...

I think I actually said this in one of the Maryland threads I referenced, but at the top of the main C-D forum page, it says "Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions." So IMO the main reason many people join C-D is to get info about cities they're considering moving to. If you don't plan on moving anywhere, you may not have much of a reason to join C-D. I know when I first joined C-D it was when I was trying to get some initial info about a totally different area, but I ended up just sticking around and posting in the forums for most of the areas that I've lived. And I would imagine that a lot of other posters have a similar story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,883 posts, read 70,225,862 times
Reputation: 22577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Haha yeah I guess I don't know what he was asking for either...

I think I actually said this in one of the Maryland threads I referenced, but at the top of the main C-D forum page, it says "Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions." So IMO the main reason many people join C-D is to get info about cities they're considering moving to. If you don't plan on moving anywhere, you may not have much of a reason to join C-D. I know when I first joined C-D it was when I was trying to get some initial info about a totally different area, but I ended up just sticking around and posting in the forums for most of the areas that I've lived. And I would imagine that a lot of other posters have a similar story.
Actually, I had moved back here and was really frustrated b/c docs here wouldn't see my son for a check up unless he was an "established patient." Well, hells bells, we had just moved here and he needed a physical to get into CP - and he needed it like THAT DAY. So I was just terribly disgusted with moving back here . . . and typed in "Charlotte Sucks" and it pulled up a C-D thread, hee hee.

So even those of us who are "natives" typically found our way to this forum out of needing info of some type. And I had just relocated here, so I was essentially a newcomer, not having lived here for many years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
1,078 posts, read 2,281,444 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I honestly don't know what he was asking for - I thought the original post was a strange topic for discussion. I mean - not like it is really "about Charlotte" - more or less about the posters here.....
I thought I understood what he was asking for, at least at first, and thought it was an interesting question...C-Ders thoughts as opposed to 'random people in clt'. and I could be wrong, but I think the subject was different when originally posted, not sure if that was changed but I think so.
I mentioned earlier why I thought C-Ders respond the way they do (due to repetitive questions)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,883 posts, read 70,225,862 times
Reputation: 22577
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I thought I understood what he was asking for, at least at first, and thought it was an interesting question...C-Ders thoughts as opposed to 'random people in clt'. and I could be wrong, but I think the subject was different when originally posted, not sure if that was changed but I think so.
I mentioned earlier why I thought C-Ders respond the way they do (due to repetitive questions)
And I think you may be right about repetitive posts evoking snappier responses.

I know several years ago, the same questions were asked daily! I think at that time we put up a sticky about how to do a SEARCH b/f posting a new thread. It was that bad. And when people didn't get an immediate response, they often got really perturbed, lol. That was in about 2007 I think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,567 posts, read 29,868,491 times
Reputation: 9993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So you're saying you already didn't like Charlotte? Then why start this thread? Even if you weren't sure what to think of Charlotte, it sure does seem like this thread pushed you over the edge as far as not liking it, so yeah, that does seem pretty silly.

Honestly I'm kinda confused why you're flying off the handle because I don't even really think any of the responses here were that hostile anyway. You seemed more mad that I said people talked about transplants in MD (gasp!) than you were about anything anyone said about Charlotte.



To be fair, was the OP only looking for responses from natives? I thought he was asking about the perception of transplants in general, so I would think transplants themselves would be able to provide what they thought the natives thought about them (or even what the transplants thought about other natives).


I was initially confused by the OP, then realized that he was looking for something negative, so stayed out.

I once worked in Baltimore County, in Owings Mills, for several years. Most of the people were great, but I ran into a peculiar attitude in the supermarket in Reisterstown that was enough to guarantee that I left every Friday & spent the weekend in South Jersey & came back, with my groceries, on Sunday evening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
 
6,126 posts, read 8,601,643 times
Reputation: 3617
whoops, can't edit my earlier post, but I meant to say what transplants thought about other transplants (not what they thought about natives)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,883 posts, read 70,225,862 times
Reputation: 22577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
whoops, can't edit my earlier post, but I meant to say what transplants thought about other transplants (not what they thought about natives)
Ohhhh. Interesting take. Well, the truth is . . . more people here who came from somewhere else than who grew up here . . . wh/ is typical for most cities, lol. And I thought made the mention of Baltimore relevant . . . I mean, as I stated earlier . . . a city can't grow as rapidly as Charlotte has without having a huge influx of newcomers.

If OP wanted to know something specific about how newcomers fit into life in Charlotte, then he/she should have just asked that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
4,760 posts, read 6,928,630 times
Reputation: 5295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

(A): opt-out, Charlotte is too small for my blood, I will find another opportunity in the big city (plenty of people choose this option)
(B): give it a shot with an open-mind and make the best of it, if I don't like it, develop a 1-3 year exit strategy...bi&th some while I'm there to ensure these folks know they're inadequate and a$$backwards .
(B) is why many natives are tired of transplants. Heck, even some of the kids born here in the past 15 years think they are more cultured and better than the natives because mommy is from New Yawk.

You complain and try to tell me I'm inadequate or bassackwards and you will generate hostility. Couple that with people who want Charlotte to be like it was "back home" and you can surely understand why natives don't like transplants. Many transplants complain about things here that were worse "back home", like traffic, taxes, shopping, among other things.

Many of us are tired of the complaining. I know I am. If you come to Charlotte and want to go along, welcome. If you want to come here and complain and insult the people who are natives, you will not receive a warm welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM
 
13,465 posts, read 10,396,582 times
Reputation: 6339
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
(B) is why many natives are tired of transplants. Heck, even some of the kids born here in the past 15 years think they are more cultured and better than the natives because mommy is from New Yawk.

You complain and try to tell me I'm inadequate or bassackwards and you will generate hostility. Couple that with people who want Charlotte to be like it was "back home" and you can surely understand why natives don't like transplants. Many transplants complain about things here that were worse "back home", like traffic, taxes, shopping, among other things.

Many of us are tired of the complaining. I know I am. If you come to Charlotte and want to go along, welcome. If you want to come here and complain and insult the people who are natives, you will not receive a warm welcome.
that makes sense... but I wonder about the natives who get mad when newcomers come here and love the city.

Plenty of people call Charlotte the next Detroit or claim it's going downhill and newcomers like myself our the main reason why.

I really like Charlotte but on C-D it seems like half the time I'm defending the city while natives are bashing it because it's changed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,417 posts, read 70,098,660 times
Reputation: 37525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
...on C-D it seems like half the time I'm defending the city...
while natives are bashing it because it's changed.
Now you're on to something! Bashing change itself.

The changes, even the good ones or the ones they like and approve of,
were only able to happen because of the growth that required so many transplants.

It's a tough pill to swallow, especially when so many transplants want to change even more
(even if they aren't aware of that).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top