U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM

763 posts, read 697,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Now you're on to something! Bashing change itself.

The changes, even the good ones or the ones they like and approve of,
were only able to happen because of the growth that required so many transplants.

It's a tough pill to swallow, especially when so many transplants want to change even more
(even if they aren't aware of that).

I can not remember when northerners didn't complain and talk about how this area is inferior to the place that they came from yet opt to live here. It is the result of decades of stereotyping shoved into their heads. The whining individuals have always annoyed us with this endless complaining and they likely will will for another 150 years. It is obviously just part of their DNA.

My dad was a yankee from Massachusetts and loved Charlotte but never missed on opportunity to slam the place or people. Before my dad died, one of the things that he confessed to as a regret was his negativity and refusal to connect with the people although he truly loved both. Despite people trying to befriend him, he refused to connect and would always justify it with some lame insulting reasoning.

It is best learn to accept ignorant insults or to let it go in one ear and out the other. It happens in all cities and isn't an action that deserves much serious concern. A recurring funny example of my experience is when I call in a repairman that that is often northern and attempts to convince me of how much better he is than local repairemen and how much more efficient people in his position are "up north" and most of the time I end up having to call a local guy fix to this superior skilled worker's screw up. Nevertheless, I am able to convince him that I know that he is full of you know what and give him some confessionals of my many experiences.

I am happy that most of the younger generation is getting away from this ignorant stereotyping and insulting. Unfortunately, many of those 50 and older are often still guilty of doing this as it is what they have always heard from their parents.

This makes me often believe, generally speaking, that the smartest northerners stay in the north. I am hoping somehow that these relintless whiners are not the status quo. When I make my trips to the northland, I generally experience nice people. What's up?

Last edited by Stella Artois; 01-18-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:06 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,952,136 times
The natives who complain about the change probably love what Charlotte used to be. It was a nice place to be. It wasn't congested, hostile, there was less crime, less litter, less to be upset about. Older natives built this place and are watching everything they worked at change in the name of supposed progress.

Don't get me wrong, progress is a good thing in some ways. It's the wholesale disposal of much of Charlotte's history and beauty that anger people. Things that a transplant view as a run-down breakfast shop are part of Charlotte. The large wooded areas are a part of Charlotte, where a developer sees houses upon houses, where every 5th one is the same. I remember when people had trouble even finding Lake Wylie or Norman. Now the Lake Norman area is congested to the point it is choking, and the Lkae Wylie area is approaching that point. You used to be able to take a sailboat out on a weekend. Now, you better have your life insurance paid up because you never know when some fool in his Eliminator are going to come out of a cove going 80MPH. Heck, at one point, you couldn't hardly give away property on Lake Norman. I-77 fixed that.

If you knew what this place was like 30 years ago, you would be a little upset, too.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM

13,536 posts, read 10,441,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
The natives who complain about the change probably love what Charlotte used to be. It was a nice place to be. It wasn't congested, hostile, there was less crime, less litter, less to be upset about. Older natives built this place and are watching everything they worked at change in the name of supposed progress.

Don't get me wrong, progress is a good thing in some ways. It's the wholesale disposal of much of Charlotte's history and beauty that anger people. Things that a transplant view as a run-down breakfast shop are part of Charlotte. The large wooded areas are a part of Charlotte, where a developer sees houses upon houses, where every 5th one is the same. I remember when people had trouble even finding Lake Wylie or Norman. Now the Lake Norman area is congested to the point it is choking, and the Lkae Wylie area is approaching that point. You used to be able to take a sailboat out on a weekend. Now, you better have your life insurance paid up because you never know when some fool in his Eliminator are going to come out of a cove going 80MPH. Heck, at one point, you couldn't hardly give away property on Lake Norman. I-77 fixed that.

If you knew what this place was like 30 years ago, you would be a little upset, too.
This may be true... but when I look back on my childhood in Western PA or get together with friends from home and reminisce about the good old days we always talk about how lucky we were and how fun it was....

That being said... I can honestly say when I was younger I wasn't in love with Western PA.

I wonder how many people REALLY loved Charlotte 30 years vs complaining about it being too small or not having enough to do. {People tend to block out their bad days or negative feelings when they reminisce about the "good ole days"

Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

35,883 posts, read 70,363,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This may be true... but when I look back on my childhood in Western PA or get together with friends from home and reminisce about the good old days we always talk about how lucky we were and how fun it was....

That being said... I can honestly say when I was younger I wasn't in love with Western PA.

I wonder how many people REALLY loved Charlotte 30 years vs complaining about it being too small or not having enough to do. {People tend to block out their bad days or negative feelings when they reminisce about the "good ole days"
Spanky is not talking about reminiscing. He is talking about quality of life issues. There is a big difference.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 AM

13,536 posts, read 10,441,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Spanky is not talking about reminiscing. He is talking about quality of life issues. There is a big difference.
reminisce : to recall past experiences, events, etc.;

There isn't a difference

Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 AM

2,031 posts, read 5,002,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I'm quickly learning about C-D and Charlotte. Thanks.

You're correct, the thread was about C-D and CHARLOTTE. I already know about Baltimore. I'm sorry there was any confusion.

I'm also now sorry to have asked the question. I didn't realize it would cause yet more torment on an already hostile board.

I will not be recommending my mother to relocate to Charlotte.

Thank you, and all the best.
Lol- I agree that there are some very negative and snarly posts that turn up when newcomers (!)/potential transplants ask questions.
I'm also of the opinion that these posts will appear if someone dares to disagree or question the consensus opinion or is more knowledgable on a subject ( especially if it's a local one) even if it's something that the newby has direct experience of , whereas the native hasn't.
As for the natives getting tired of newbies asking the same questions , there is also a tendency for some regulars to post the same often inaccurate or old info.
There is a clique on here-used to be more apparent a few years ago when things were often really nasty.
As someone said , those people will often be transplants themselves, but they are in the clique and accepted so no one cares!

I wouldn't be too concerned - not sure that the natives on here are a true representation of the bigger picture- I mean there are so many transplants the mix is fairly diverse!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 PM

6,132 posts, read 8,644,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

Is there any place in the country that's the same as it was 30 years ago?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM

31,541 posts, read 70,593,383 times
Quote:
{People tend to block out their bad days or negative feelings when they reminisce about the "good ole days"
Or will get their back up when the discussion is started by what someone else,
someone who wasn't there in those old days, has observed and commented on and the "old local"
then feels they need to defend things they really don't miss that much at all.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
reminisce : to recall past experiences, events, etc.;

There isn't a difference

The difference is that reminising involves a recollecting and telling of past experiences. That wasn't what was done. Spanky simply 'compared' the way things were 30 years ago to the way they are today. He didn't discuss his personal 'experiences.' There is a difference.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 PM

I recall when I was a teenager and could safely walk around west Charlotte at night without being worried about being mugged or murdered. I lived in Thomasboro (considered a tough neighborhood). I remember when uptown was booming and had tons of shopping available, including Belks, Iveys and other large department stores. There have always been plenty of night spots in town and things to do. I can't think of anything that was lacking. If one was bored, one was sitting home on his/her ass too shy or lazy to get involved. Westside schools (known not to bet the best even then) were very good academically and safe. There were great swimming pools in the summer, ie. Suddles and Municipal are the ones I remember.

Park Center had all of the coolest American music groups on weekends. We fought with our fists and not guns when we had disagreements. We had great hangouts, ie. BBQ King, Town and Country Drive ins, etc. There were a few drive-in movies around for dating and some of the best pizza places I can ever remember, ie. Tanzys (Wilkinson Blvd. and Pasquallis in Freedom Village). There were skating rinks and bowling all over town and the same ammenities found in large cities.

Basically, what I am saying is that things have changed the city like the injection of crime, gangs, and other issues which I won't get into.

Charlotte was never a backward hicktown. As a matter of fact, Charlotte was very tolerant of clubs of a sexual nature, gay bars, and other venues that most outsiders wouldn't imagine as being allowed decades ago. It may have been a city with lots of churchs, but it seemed as if the church people and the sinners coexisted amicably. I was mostly one of the latter.

I like Charlotte now. I looked at many other places to reside before returning to the area after a long, long, absence. I found it to be the best overall for my many needs. It has lots to offer and is lots larger than when I was a kid. I don't think that when someone says things were better years ago, it is a cliche. It is a fact. Many aspects certainly were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte