U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM

763 posts, read 693,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Is there any place in the country that's the same as it was 30 years ago?
Yadkinville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 PM

13,441 posts, read 10,379,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
The difference is that reminising involves a recollecting and telling of past experiences. That wasn't what was done. Spanky simply 'compared' the way things were 30 years ago to the way they are today. He didn't discuss his personal 'experiences.' There is a difference.
Thank you

The only way a native can tell you about how things used to be is if they "experienced" how Charlotte was 30 years ago. Thus... reminiscing.

Moving along...

Charlotte natives who "compare" the way things were 30 years ago vs now remind me of fans who love a band before they make it big. Once the masses find out about them the loyal fans tend to say things like "they changed, sold out etc..." and complain about them not making music like they used to make years ago.

reminisce...

Old 01-19-2012, 03:18 PM

13,441 posts, read 10,379,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I recall when I was a teenager and could safely walk around west Charlotte at night without being worried about being mugged or murdered. I lived in Thomasboro (considered a tough neighborhood). I remember when uptown was booming and had tons of shopping available, including Belks, Iveys and other large department stores. There have always been plenty of night spots in town and things to do. I can't think of anything that was lacking. If one was bored, one was sitting home on his/her ass too shy or lazy to get involved. Westside schools (known not to bet the best even then) were very good academically and safe. There were great swimming pools in the summer, ie. Suddles and Municipal are the ones I remember.

Park Center had all of the coolest American music groups on weekends. We fought with our fists and not guns when we had disagreements. We had great hangouts, ie. BBQ King, Town and Country Drive ins, etc. There were a few drive-in movies around for dating and some of the best pizza places I can ever remember, ie. Tanzys (Wilkinson Blvd. and Pasquallis in Freedom Village). There were skating rinks and bowling all over town and the same ammenities found in large cities.

Basically, what I am saying is that things have changed the city like the injection of crime, gangs, and other issues which I won't get into.

Charlotte was never a backward hicktown. As a matter of fact, Charlotte was very tolerant of clubs of a sexual nature, gay bars, and other venues that most outsiders wouldn't imagine as being allowed decades ago. It may have been a city with lots of churchs, but it seemed as if the church people and the sinners coexisted amicably. I was mostly one of the latter.

I like Charlotte now. I looked at many other places to reside before returning to the area after a long, long, absence. I found it to be the best overall for my many needs. It has lots to offer and is lots larger than when I was a kid. I don't think that when someone says things were better years ago, it is a cliche. It is a fact. Many aspects certainly were.
Reminiscing... nice!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,059,732 times
Why was I under the impression that Stella Artois wasn't born in the states?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,754,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Do you remember the thomasboro Community House and big T.C. Wright? I am a westsider as well, although I left for many, many, years and am in the process of returning.

Things That Make You Go Hmmm... - YouTube

Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,181,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
reminisce : to recall past experiences, events, etc.;

There isn't a difference

Why are you determined to be such a contrarian??? There is a huge difference. We are not talking about fond memories of running through the snow. We are talking about very concrete, substantial things, such as higher taxes, strained services, neglected infrastructure due to stretched budgets, closed or limited services (libraries), denser neighborhoods, increased traffic jams, open spaces now jam packed w/ houses, flooding caused by changes in ratio of grass to cement, increased pollution due to more particulates in the air, higher costs of services due to people moving here and jacking up the rates, etc etc etc.

That is not reminiscing. Those are quality of life issues that have been very much impacted by growth that was unmanaged and too fast.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:16 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,181,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Maybe because SA has lived many years outside the states . . . ?

I know Stella personally. Charlotte native? yes.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you

The only way a native can tell you about how things used to be is if they "experienced" how Charlotte was 30 years ago. Thus... reminiscing.

Moving along...

Charlotte natives who "compare" the way things were 30 years ago vs now remind me of fans who love a band before they make it big. Once the masses find out about them the loyal fans tend to say things like "they changed, sold out etc..." and complain about them not making music like they used to make years ago.

reminisce...
I guess you are too young to notice how things can change over the years. They do. As far as "reminiscing", when I am teaching a history class, I am reminiscing in your opinion. That is interesting.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 17,912 times
Well, I'd like to chime in on this thread. I can tell you one thing you won't hear from THIS transplant if and when I move back to the Charlotte area (I lived there in the 80's) from DETROIT. You will never hear me say ANYTHING about how Charlotte should be more like Detroit

OK, now all the Detroiters who read this thread can pile on. LOL

Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Reminiscing... nice!!!
Yes, there was reminiscing in my posting. However, Spanky and Ani were comparing old with new. On the other hand, I was discussing my past experiences. There are key words that are indicators whether a statement indicates reminiscing or comparing. The key word that I used to indicate reminiscing was, "I remember." Do you see the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte