U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM

763 posts, read 700,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingNCarolina View Post
Well, I'd like to chime in on this thread. I can tell you one thing you won't hear from THIS transplant if and when I move back to the Charlotte area (I lived there in the 80's) from DETROIT. You will never hear me say ANYTHING about how Charlotte should be more like Detroit

OK, now all the Detroiters who read this thread can pile on. LOL
You're obviously safe. I was with three guys from Detroit last night. They wouldn't argue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 17,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
You're obviously safe. I was with three guys from Detroit last night. They wouldn't argue.
Tee hee. I never wanted to move here in the first place from Charlotte and now that I am old enough to think about retiring, I'll be on the first train out! Well, maybe just driving my old car down

Old 01-19-2012, 05:02 PM

13,558 posts, read 10,491,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why are you determined to be such a contrarian??? There is a huge difference. We are not talking about fond memories of running through the snow. We are talking about very concrete, substantial things, such as higher taxes, strained services, neglected infrastructure due to stretched budgets, closed or limited services (libraries), denser neighborhoods, increased traffic jams, open spaces now jam packed w/ houses, flooding caused by changes in ratio of grass to cement, increased pollution due to more particulates in the air, higher costs of services due to people moving here and jacking up the rates, etc etc etc.

That is not reminiscing. Those are quality of life issues that have been very much impacted by growth that was unmanaged and too fast.
When natives talk about how Charlotte used to be they do it with fond memories.

It doesn't matter if you are talking about running through snow, bathing in sunshine, lower taxes, better infrastructure, less dense neighborhoods etc. you are still reminiscing of a time when things were better.

Charlotte was never a utopia. I'm pretty sure some people were complaining about services and taxes 30 years ago.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,546,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
When natives talk about how Charlotte used to be they do it with fond memories.

It doesn't matter if you are talking about running through snow, bathing in sunshine, lower taxes, better infrastructure, less dense neighborhoods etc. you are still reminiscing of a time when things were better.

Charlotte was never a utopia. I'm pretty sure some people were complaining about services and taxes 30 years ago.
I don't know why you are being so difficult, Felt. I am not reminiscing nor am I recalling anything with fond memories. As you have doubtless seen me write, I was happy to leave this region, loved KCMO, was not keen on moving back. I have no "idealized" notions about Charlotte in 1960 or Charlotte in 2012.

I am simply telling you . . . the rapid and unmanaged growth here has had a lot of negative impact on the region. I never thought Charlotte was a an ideal place to live; I thought the burbs had some nice spots. Charlotte is lacking on museums and top notch entertainment but 30 years ago, it had more than other areas and that aspect has improved. Most of us went to other cities to get our fix on museums, entertainment and fine dining.

If what you think determines "great" would be more malls and miles of housing, then I guess you will be impressed with Charlotte. What I DID find charming about Charlotte could have been preserved with better city and county management and controlled growth. I don't think anyone finds it charming to be stuck in traffic on Providence, for example - an area that was at one time a very pleasant stretch of road to drive.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM

13,558 posts, read 10,491,610 times
Quote:
I don't know why you are being so difficult, Felt. I am not reminiscing nor am I recalling anything with fond memories. As you have doubtless seen me write, I was happy to leave this region, loved KCMO, was not keen on moving back. I have no "idealized" notions about Charlotte in 1960 or Charlotte in 2012.

I am simply telling you . . . the rapid and unmanaged growth here has had a lot of negative impact on the region. I never thought Charlotte was a an ideal place to live; I thought the burbs had some nice spots. Charlotte is lacking on museums and top notch entertainment but 30 years ago, it had more than other areas and that aspect has improved. Most of us went to other cities to get our fix on museums, entertainment and fine dining.

If what you think determines "great" would be more malls and miles of housing, then I guess you will be impressed with Charlotte. What I DID find charming about Charlotte could have been preserved with better city and county management and controlled growth. I don't think anyone finds it charming to be stuck in traffic on Providence, for example - an area that was at one time a very pleasant stretch of road to drive.
I'm not being difficult...

You are a native, I'm a transplant. All I'm doing is giving my opinion on the subject.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm not being difficult...

You are a native, I'm a transplant. All I'm doing is giving my opinion on the subject.
And you know I always enjoy your opinions and insights. It seemed to me you were reducing genuine CONCERNS by long time residents to nothing more than vagueries - time altered memories wh/ were softened by time. That isn't fair as there are genuinely problems that have been created b/c of the way this city has sprawled. I blame that on city and county planners and politicians who were not looking out for everyone's longterm best interests by better monitoring growth (especially in outlying areas).

It seemed you were simply dismissing those concerns as nothing more than inaccurate reminiscence.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 61,048,696 times
I feel a flame war is almost brewing over symantics, let's try other civil terms to get our point across
Thanks you cool peep

Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 AM

373 posts, read 711,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Quote:
Why are you determined to be such a contrarian??? There is a huge difference. We are not talking about fond memories of running through the snow.
Here is something to make you go hmmmmmm.........
Thirty years ago we had snow, now half of New York has moved here
and we ain't got snow.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Here is something to make you go hmmmmmm.........
Thirty years ago we had snow, now half of New York has moved here
and we ain't got snow.
God must have heard their cries for no more snow and blessed us all, lol.

We are the sixth burough, after all. Or at least, the Lake Norman region is. Not sure if they have annexed Union County, or not . . . but I had heard rumors . . .

Wish that meant I got reduced prices on events in NYC. < I <3 NYC>

Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM

763 posts, read 700,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingNCarolina View Post
Tee hee. I never wanted to move here in the first place from Charlotte and now that I am old enough to think about retiring, I'll be on the first train out! Well, maybe just driving my old car down
Come on back. You will find lots of people here from Detroit in the northern part of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte