Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 PM

222 posts, read 549,970 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that a lot of the transplants are moving down here from the North and are only moving due to a job opportunity in Charlotte, or because their job is relocating them here. If you're a young professional and you're in this situation, you're probably going to be less than thrilled to be moving to a mid-sized Southern city, and that's going to color your view of the city from the moment you set foot in Charlotte. That's one of the reasons that transplants have a reputation for being complainers in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM

653 posts, read 945,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
Keep in mind that a lot of the transplants are moving down here from the North and are only moving due to a job opportunity in Charlotte, or because their job is relocating them here. If you're a young professional and you're in this situation, you're probably going to be less than thrilled to be moving to a mid-sized Southern city, and that's going to color your view of the city from the moment you set foot in Charlotte. That's one of the reasons that transplants have a reputation for being complainers in Charlotte.
Very good point. I totally get that. And the locals looking for jobs probably doubly dislike the complaining transplant because at least he/she has a job.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM

373 posts, read 709,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It sounds like some natives are just mad that new people are bringing a positive attitude to their gloom and doom party.
Huh? The gloom and doom party is reserved for those showing up with NO JOBS.......You see in my case I receive 2 pension checks both being paid from the general public funds. People who move here with no job arent able to put money into the system...................and for me to draw out lol ps a "positive attitude" alone isnt enough to even buy my kitty litter.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
The reason this city - in fact, the whole region - has grown is not because the "natives" started having a passel of babies, and tripled the population, lol. It is b/c new businesses came, folks showed up to make this area their home . . .or b/c retirees chose to move here.

Anyone who resents the growth and how much the growth has improved quality of life ( from entertainment to hospitality to retail) would be very short-sighted, indeed.

There are growing pains in any city that goes through a growth period. I should think we would all be grateful that this metro is vital. Not all cities have the kinds of challenges that come with growth; many are facing a contracting population. Of course we are not all going to agree on all the issues, but at least we aren't facing the crippling issues that come with a dying city.

Nothing stays the same. That is why historical preservation is so important. There is plenty of room in Charlotte for natives and newcomers, who are right now writing what will one day be the history of Charlotte. I think that is very exciting.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It sounds like some natives are just mad that new people are bringing a positive attitude to their gloom and doom party.

Um, not really. The natives I have met are far from doom and gloom. They just see the negative of the transplants. Since Charlotte has boomed with population, their own cost of living has skyrocketed from property taxes to groceries.

Infrastructure is the biggest issue.

The next biggest issue is the attitudes of many of the transplants. If it is not a complaint about something not being like it is 'back home' then it is a complaint about the lack of development down here. For example, my husband ran into a fairly recent transplant from NYC recently while working, and she felt Charlotte has too many trees and they needed to be bulldozed down for shopping.

There are also bad attitudes about how things are evolving down here. Union Co discussed increasing property taxes to make up revenue short falls. There has also been discussions about charging tolls for highway use. Every time something like this is proposed, the news crews always interview a transplants that is "appalled!" at the thought of increased taxes because they moved down here to get away from the high taxes.

With enough transplant influence moving into the local governing bodies, eventually the area will turn into the place you moved from.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

Um, not really. The natives I have met are far from doom and gloom. They just see the negative of the transplants. Since Charlotte has boomed with population, their own cost of living has skyrocketed from property taxes to groceries.

Infrastructure is the biggest issue.

The next biggest issue is the attitudes of many of the transplants. If it is not a complaint about something not being like it is 'back home' then it is a complaint about the lack of development down here. For example, my husband ran into a fairly recent transplant from NYC recently while working, and she felt Charlotte has too many trees and they needed to be bulldozed down for shopping.

There are also bad attitudes about how things are evolving down here. Union Co discussed increasing property taxes to make up revenue short falls. There has also been discussions about charging tolls for highway use. Every time something like this is proposed, the news crews always interview a transplants that is "appalled!" at the thought of increased taxes because they moved down here to get away from the high taxes.

With enough transplant influence moving into the local governing bodies, eventually the area will turn into the place you moved from.
I'm not talking about the transplants with the bad attitudes... of course people will respond negatively to them and they have every right.

I'm talking about the people who think Charlotte is a great place to move. Why do some natives/residents feel the need to burst their bubble? No one is coming here thinking money literally falls off the trees, jobs knock on your door and the all the roads are paved in gold.

Most people realize Charlotte is popular, the weather is nice, but dreams jobs are still hard to come by. No one is living in 2006... we are all aware of the hard times and are making decision based on comparisons based off of that.

Most transplants aren't looking at the UE's.. they are looking at the potential of the city over the next 10 to 20 years and I think Charlotte has a HUGE upside.

I think the OP is asking why C-D members are negative towards people who haven't moved here yet. Maybe it's due to people like you just mentioned who want Charlotte to turn into NYC but I don't think that's the case with most people.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
OP, do you read the MD/Baltimore forums on C-D? I lived in Baltimore for 2 years before moving to Charlotte, but grew up in NJ. There was recently a thread on there titled something like "New Yorkers/New Jerseyans are invading Towson U and the area!" and there is a huge thread on the MD forum titled "Maryland a southern state" where several MD natives were complaining that all the transplants have ruined MD's southern culture...speaking of which, I'd be curious if NC natives thought MD was a southern state.

So transplant bashing happens everywhere. But as has been said, there probably are more transplants (especially from the NE) in Charlotte than a lot of other cities. And if they complain about what was better "back home" then its easy to dislike them. But personally I haven't met many complaining transplants. Honestly, moving here has probably given me a more positive view of New Yorkers. Coming from South Jersey, I didnt always have love for North Jersey/NY. But pretty much everyone I've met here from those places has been really nice. So I think most of the time the transplants really are trying to escape where they came from, and not trying to turn Charlotte into NYC.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
You assume most young professionals are moving here from the "big" city and only for job opportunities. DC is a job haven with ample opportunity for any young professional considering a relo for job/big city amenities....so is Atlanta.

Any young professional not "thrilled" about moving to bug-tussle doesn't really have to, plenty of equivalent opportunities in bigger sun belt cities (Dallas, Hou, Atl, etc.). Plus, their stay can be temporary (1-3 years) while seeking a transition if "forced" to move here.

Some people just complain to complain. Folk from the North complain about Atlanta, a big "southern" city with certain amenities Charlotte doesn't have...what gives?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM

653 posts, read 945,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
OP, do you read the MD/Baltimore forums on C-D? I lived in Baltimore for 2 years before moving to Charlotte, but grew up in NJ. There was recently a thread on there titled something like "New Yorkers/New Jerseyans are invading Towson U and the area!" and there is a huge thread on the MD forum titled "Maryland a southern state" where several MD natives were complaining that all the transplants have ruined MD's southern culture...speaking of which, I'd be curious if NC natives thought MD was a southern state.

So transplant bashing happens everywhere. But as has been said, there probably are more transplants (especially from the NE) in Charlotte than a lot of other cities. And if they complain about what was better "back home" then its easy to dislike them. But personally I haven't met many complaining transplants. Honestly, moving here has probably given me a more positive view of New Yorkers. Coming from South Jersey, I didnt always have love for North Jersey/NY. But pretty much everyone I've met here from those places has been really nice. So I think most of the time the transplants really are trying to escape where they came from, and not trying to turn Charlotte into NYC.
I do scan the Baltimore board, and I hardly consider a couple threads over the course of a couple years the same as the frequency with which the topic is discussed in Charlotte (that's why the chatter referring to transplants on the Charlotte board struck me as odd and I inquired what's been happening there lately).

I know the city very well - I have lived in Baltimore 27 years; 17 years, then returned years later, and now another 9.5 years. My entire family is here. I have never one time, very literally, ever heard any local (my family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc) ever refer to transplants, nonetheless, their effect, negative or positive, on our city. But that is probably because despite our low cost of living, fairly stable economy (considering the circumstances), and close proximity to powerhouses like DC and NYC, we surprisingly haven't seen as huge of a boom of people relocating to Baltimore as Charlotte has seen (likely due to our less than desirable weather, crime in certain parts, etc, IMO).

I have, however, heard locals grumbling about the negative effects of the re-zoning of Section 8, the future of the light rail, the revitalization of the waterfront (as now people who have had their homes for decades can't afford the neighborhood any more), and topics such as that. But that has nothing to do with people moving to our fair city.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I do scan the Baltimore board, and I hardly consider a couple threads over the course of a couple years the same as the frequency with which the topic is discussed in Charlotte (that's why the chatter referring to transplants on the Charlotte board struck me as odd and I inquired what's been happening there lately).

I know the city very well - I have lived in Baltimore 27 years; 17 years, then returned years later, and now another 9.5 years. My entire family is here. I have never one time, very literally, ever heard any local (my family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc) ever refer to transplants, nonetheless, their effect, negative or positive, on our city. But that is probably because despite our low cost of living, fairly stable economy (considering the circumstances), and close proximity to powerhouses like DC and NYC, we surprisingly haven't seen as huge of a boom of people relocating to Baltimore as Charlotte has seen (likely due to our less than desirable weather, crime in certain parts, etc, IMO).

I have, however, heard locals grumbling about the negative effects of the re-zoning of Section 8, the future of the light rail, the revitalization of the waterfront (as now people who have had their homes for decades can't afford the neighborhood any more), and topics such as that. But that has nothing to do with people moving to our fair city.
Well, you wouldn't realize this but nearly 100% of the threads about "transplants" are written either by someone who is new here or considering moving here . . . or by someone, like you, who doesn't even live here. Really! We have a lot of folks inquiring about the area or who have moved here and are trying to get their bearings in a new area. That is especially true for folks who have lived in one spot all their lives and this is their first big move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte