Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I'm quickly learning about C-D and Charlotte. Thanks.

You're correct, the thread was about C-D and CHARLOTTE. I already know about Baltimore. I'm sorry there was any confusion.

I'm also now sorry to have asked the question. I didn't realize it would cause yet more torment on an already hostile board.

I will not be recommending my mother to relocate to Charlotte.

Thank you, and all the best.
This is the first time you mentioned anything about your mother moving to Charlotte.

I don't know why but for some reason it doesn't sound legit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,275 times
Quote:
....I am stopping updates from this thread, so any future comments won't be received (thankfully).

Silence of the dcLamb hahahahaha

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
....Which makes me wonder . . . why would someone from another area of the country (who isn't planning on relocating here) even have an opinion on the posts here on this forum?....
I still respond to NJ threads on occasion....

Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 AM

653 posts, read 945,506 times
To whomever left the passive agressive rep. feedback on my profile to my last post, thanks for the additional rep points! (You lose.)

To the person who is questioning my mother's need to relocate, you're welcome to call her if you don't believe she's moving. Not sure why it's so hard to believe that a person would be relocating. Not all of you, but those of you in Charlotte with your small-town mentality REALLY need to get out more. You'd probably be a lot less angry, and care a lot less about things you obviously know nothing about.

Good luck with that.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
Dude, 1-3 years is a long time, especially when you're young.

As far as people having the option to leave Charlotte if they don't like it, I mean, in this economy, who's going to quit their job? And how easy is it to find a new one? We're living through the worst economic times since the 1930s. People are just happy to have a job right now. I really think this notion that people who aren't happy with Charlotte should just pick up and move is a bit much given the economic situation on the ground in this country.
1-3 years a long time? Maybe in dog years and you act as if though there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to do here (??). Only an idiot would move here expecting NYC or Chicago. An intelligent reasonable young professional would:

(A): opt-out, Charlotte is too small for my blood, I will find another opportunity in the big city (plenty of people choose this option)
(B): give it a shot with an open-mind and make the best of it, if I don't like it, develop a 1-3 year exit strategy...bi&th some while I'm there to ensure these folks know they're inadequate and a$$backwards .

It's a tough economy but normally a young professional doesn't make as much money or have as much time vested in a company as a mid-career professional. Essentially, they're still a lot of jobs in larger cities that pay equivalent salaries (adjusted for cost of living) so they can be quite mobile. As a matter of fact, it's much easier to find a job in DC than Charlotte, especially for a young professional.

Some young professionals seek Charlotte for similar reasons; lower cost of living and slower pace...really they do.

I've commuted to DC for the past 2+ years (travel twice a month) and there are PLENTY of jobs in DC, especially for a young professional.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
Is it warm in here, or is it just a Flame War!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
To whomever left the passive agressive rep. feedback on my profile to my last post, thanks for the additional rep points! (You lose.)

To the person who is questioning my mother's need to relocate, you're welcome to call her if you don't believe she's moving. Not sure why it's so hard to believe that a person would be relocating. Not all of you, but those of you in Charlotte with your small-town mentality REALLY need to get out more. You'd probably be a lot less angry, and care a lot less about things you obviously know nothing about.

Good luck with that.
No offense, Lamb, but you did not post asking for advice about your mother making a move to Charlotte. Instead, you opened up with an out of the blue assertion - that folks here are hostile to newcomers. I didn't respond to the post at first b/c I thought - WTH? Where did that come from?

Rarely have there been any sort of "hostile" remarks to newcomers on this forum unless someone opened up with "people in this town are unwelcoming" - and everyone is left to scratch their heads. If you feel it is unwelcoming to be truthful about the job situation here . . . then I suppose instead of reading very good advice ("the unemployment rate is high here and getting a job could be tough") as helpful, you would see it as off-putting.

You nowhere in any of your posts indicated that you or a member of your family were considering a move to Charlotte, until you got miffed b/c folks have questioned why you would even create a thread that was obviously looking for a fight.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find much helpful information about moving here. If you need specific info, there are those of us who will be happy to assist.

But don't come here asking for a fight and then act all insulted when people call you on it.

And for the record - only 2 people who have posted on this thread are natives.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
In years of posting here I can count on 1 hand the semi-regulars or regulars who are repeatedly and openly "hostile" to newcomers on these boards. Hostile responses beyond that are almost always tied to threads just like this one where a newcomer (or potential newcomer) comes out shooting defensively based on hollow generalizations.

As Mama would say - "you get what you give"... and that's as true for the evil transplants as it is for the naughty natives.

I find it utterly amusing that someone would eliminate a metro as a possible relocation based on a single thread on CD. Sounds more like someone was looking to take some stabs for kicks and started a thread for disingenuous reasons.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
I knew that there'd be (at least) one person to jump to conclusions.

Do you know whether I already visited Charlotte?

Do you know whether I've done other research on Charlotte?

Do you know whether I've spoken to other people from Charlotte?

You don't.

You know what they say about assumptions.

I am stopping updates from this thread, so any future comments won't be received (thankfully).
So you're saying you already didn't like Charlotte? Then why start this thread? Even if you weren't sure what to think of Charlotte, it sure does seem like this thread pushed you over the edge as far as not liking it, so yeah, that does seem pretty silly.

Honestly I'm kinda confused why you're flying off the handle because I don't even really think any of the responses here were that hostile anyway. You seemed more mad that I said people talked about transplants in MD (gasp!) than you were about anything anyone said about Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And for the record - only 2 people who have posted on this thread are natives.
To be fair, was the OP only looking for responses from natives? I thought he was asking about the perception of transplants in general, so I would think transplants themselves would be able to provide what they thought the natives thought about them (or even what the transplants thought about other natives).

Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So you're saying you already didn't like Charlotte? Then why start this thread? Even if you weren't sure what to think of Charlotte, it sure does seem like this thread pushed you over the edge as far as not liking it, so yeah, that does seem pretty silly.

Honestly I'm kinda confused why you're flying off the handle because I don't even really think any of the responses here were that hostile anyway. You seemed more mad that I said people talked about transplants in MD (gasp!) than you were about anything anyone said about Charlotte.

To be fair, was the OP only looking for responses from natives? I thought he was asking about the perception of transplants in general, so I would think transplants themselves would be able to provide what they thought the natives thought about them (or even what the transplants thought about other natives).
I honestly don't know what he was asking for - I thought the original post was a strange topic for discussion. I mean - not like it is really "about Charlotte" - more or less about the posters here, most of which are very helpful folks who take time to sincerely answer queries for assistance.

I just threw that out there to make a point that we don't even have that many "natives" who are posting on this forum these days. The good news is - so many folks who post currently have lived here long enough to have a good grasp of what is available in the area - they are settled in - and are able to give good, solid advice on any topic that would come up.

I can't count but 4 natives whom I have even see post in the last 6 months. In fact, that may be too high a count, as I may have just gotten DMs from one native - he may not have posted a thing to the forum. The small # of members we have who are actually natives haven't been stirring up any sort of hostility on this forum to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte