U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM

13 posts, read 19,131 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are a family of three, my husband, our 2 year old and I. We are contemplating moving to Charlotte. I have read many of the threads here and derived a lot of information from them but I would still love some customized help.

If we do decide to would move to Charlotte I would like to know
1) if you think Charlotte sounds like a good match and
2) where we should focus our home search.

We will be moving by the end of February as our lease in CA is up. We have mainly lived in California and DC but we are originally Swedish. We are moving because we prefer the east coast to California (seasons etc) but we do not like the prices of DC. We want a good sized city but we do not need city life per se, we jut like what usually comes with it: people from all over, innovation, restaurants etc. We want all the amenities a city offers but still a not NY, but an area where one can live quietly, safely near the city.

We have our own business so we do not need to live close to work. We would love to be near restaurants (at least a couple to walk to and for take away) and a grocery store. We would also love a playground or two within walking distance. We like neighborhoods with sidewalks where we can walk for pleasure and exercise and simply say hello to our neighbors and where our son can meet other kids to play with.

We would rent initially, for a year or so. We do not want a condo, we want a single family house with a yard and/or porch and we would prefer an historic house, craftsman or victorian! We love old houses, but we want a renovated, updated one. We do not need a big house, just a nice one. Cleanliness and order is very important to me (the reason I mention this is because both SF and DC has a lot of up and coming areas so to speak where it is often not very nice on the streets and where the houses look ok at a glance but are quite disgusting inside and where it is not really that safe on the streets). Coming from San Francisco, LA and DC we find prices in Charlotte very decent. We want to stay under 2000 a month in rent if we can.

Schools are not an issue yet but we wold like it if there are other families in the are with small kids or activities and/or playgroups daycares for kids.

We would love a nice, safe area where we our son can play outside, where we can sit on the porch, relax and enjoy life whilst still be within walking distance of some activity.

If there are tennis courts nearby, great. If not, we can drive. I also like horse back riding but realize I have to drive for that. We have one car and don't mind driving but we do not want to drive all the time for everything

We are in our late thirties/early forties. We are not artsy or hippyish, nor are we very sporty, we are not conservative but we are not super liberal either. We are well educated and like discussions and to read a lot. We are not granola crunchers but we do mind the environment. We are normal, quiet people who want to find the perfect place to settle down. We are not religious, we are into the start up/entrepreneurial scene (we work in both IT and with other entrepreneurial ventures) and we are fans of science, we love to travel and we love discussions and meeting new people from all over. We would love an area with open, friendly people whom we can form lasting friendships with and where our son can grow up. We think manners, a good education and minding other people is important and we want our son to grow up in a nice place with good values without feeling odd because he is not from a religious home and because his parents are not US born (and thus different in many ways). Hope this last bit makes sense!

We would appreciate any input very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,410 times
I am from the DC/MD/VA area and I do not like it here in NC. The people are not friendly and I've heard other people say the same thing. I absolutely LOVE.......MD/DC/Va area, if I can scrap up the money to go back, I would! Maybe your family would do great because this state seems to gravitate to people who are married which makes me to think this state is a Judgemental State!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 59,342,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jika338 View Post
I am from the DC/MD/VA area and I do not like it here in NC. The people are not friendly and I've heard other people say the same thing. I absolutely LOVE.......MD/DC/Va area, if I can scrap up the money to go back, I would! Maybe your family would do great because this state seems to gravitate to people who are married which makes me to think this state is a Judgemental State!

I would take this post with a grain of salt, this poster lives in poor section of the state and all three posts contributed are negative and since when catering to those who are marrried or family a bad thing.

Hopefully someone in Charlotte area will answer this wondeful in depth post with substantial answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttolivein View Post
Hello!
We are a family of three, my husband, our 2 year old and I. We are contemplating moving to Charlotte. I have read many of the threads here and derived a lot of information from them but I would still love some customized help.

If we do decide to would move to Charlotte I would like to know
1) if you think Charlotte sounds like a good match and
2) where we should focus our home search.

We will be moving by the end of February as our lease in CA is up. We have mainly lived in California and DC but we are originally Swedish. We are moving because we prefer the east coast to California (seasons etc) but we do not like the prices of DC. We want a good sized city but we do not need city life per se, we jut like what usually comes with it: people from all over, innovation, restaurants etc. We want all the amenities a city offers but still a not NY, but an area where one can live quietly, safely near the city.

We have our own business so we do not need to live close to work. We would love to be near restaurants (at least a couple to walk to and for take away) and a grocery store. We would also love a playground or two within walking distance. We like neighborhoods with sidewalks where we can walk for pleasure and exercise and simply say hello to our neighbors and where our son can meet other kids to play with.

We would rent initially, for a year or so. We do not want a condo, we want a single family house with a yard and/or porch and we would prefer an historic house, craftsman or victorian! We love old houses, but we want a renovated, updated one. We do not need a big house, just a nice one. Cleanliness and order is very important to me (the reason I mention this is because both SF and DC has a lot of up and coming areas so to speak where it is often not very nice on the streets and where the houses look ok at a glance but are quite disgusting inside and where it is not really that safe on the streets). Coming from San Francisco, LA and DC we find prices in Charlotte very decent. We want to stay under 2000 a month in rent if we can.

Schools are not an issue yet but we wold like it if there are other families in the are with small kids or activities and/or playgroups daycares for kids.

We would love a nice, safe area where we our son can play outside, where we can sit on the porch, relax and enjoy life whilst still be within walking distance of some activity.

If there are tennis courts nearby, great. If not, we can drive. I also like horse back riding but realize I have to drive for that. We have one car and don't mind driving but we do not want to drive all the time for everything

We are in our late thirties/early forties. We are not artsy or hippyish, nor are we very sporty, we are not conservative but we are not super liberal either. We are well educated and like discussions and to read a lot. We are not granola crunchers but we do mind the environment. We are normal, quiet people who want to find the perfect place to settle down. We are not religious, we are into the start up/entrepreneurial scene (we work in both IT and with other entrepreneurial ventures) and we are fans of science, we love to travel and we love discussions and meeting new people from all over. We would love an area with open, friendly people whom we can form lasting friendships with and where our son can grow up. We think manners, a good education and minding other people is important and we want our son to grow up in a nice place with good values without feeling odd because he is not from a religious home and because his parents are not US born (and thus different in many ways). Hope this last bit makes sense!

We would appreciate any input very much!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,291,556 times
There is a growing Scandinavian population in/around the Charlotte area. I am posting a link to one of the social groups, however, they have not updated their site very recently. SAGA of the Carolinas

I am of Norwegian ancestry and am a charter member of Norsk Carolina, the local Sons of Norway chapter. I think that there is something similar for Swedish people, however, I could not find it with a quick Google search. I know that the SAGA people could tell you more. And, of course, we now have an IKEA which, surprisingly enough has (apparently) made the area more attractive to Swedes.

Charlotte is becoming a melting pot, so the fact that you & your husband are not US born will not factor into any thoughts here. Many people are first-or-second generation immigrants.

There are not many places that have the walkability that I think that you would like. To do so, you would need to live closer into the city. Driving here is pretty much required. Public transport is only good if you live on the south side of the city and only want to go downtown. It is possible to take public transport in other areas, but, it is inconvenient and very time consuming.

Charlotte is a very clean and somewhat environmentally friendly city. It is a small to medium size place that is within an 8-hour drive to the Washington DC area. You would probably find places on the south side of the city closer to what you are looking for. (Ballantyne, Weddington, Wesley Chapel) This is a great area for families and there are many young families here. There is also a lot to do for families. If you miss skiing at all, we are about 2 hours from the mountains and, if you are one that loves the sea, about 4 hours from Myrtle Beach.

Many people own their own businesses here, so, that kind of spirit is found in a lot of places. Since we are home to many Fortune 500 companies, you will find other IT people here, too.

Our airport does have a decent choice of departures world wide (many of them direct flights), however, the fares here are sometimes more than elsewhere for reasons that nobody really knows.

I think that the vast majority of people in the area are fairly conservative. There are things that you will learn to simply ignore or just not be a part of because of it.

I hope that answers a lot of your questions. Continue to read a lot of the other threads for more information...and best of luck on your move!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 PM

128 posts, read 191,379 times
Hi,
You don't mention how much you can afford, but I would look into the Elizabeth and Dilworth neighborhoods. Both great walkable neighborhoods, with easy access to a number of restaurants, grocery stores, and parks.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,230,356 times
From what you describe I think there are some places in Charlotte that would be great for you and your family.

We moved down here from the DC area and LOVE IT here. The weather and the people are great. It has everything you need for a small city (fun things to do, good places to eat and shop, plus a great airport with direct flights to almost anywhere you want to go). Cost of living is also very cheap. You can find a nice single family home in a great area for under $2000 per month.

I would check out trulia.com for this area:
28210 Apartments For Rent and other 28210 Rentals — Trulia.com

or also Huntersville which is about 20 minutes North of Charlotte.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice! Much appreciated!

I saw and ad for a beautiful house for rent in Noda. The area seems very nice and teher seems to be alot of beautiful hosues. Does anyone have any input on Noda?

Citpeep: we want to pay under 2000 a month.

Frank the Tank: I am so glad you are happy with your move! Trulia has a lot of good looking properties!

jika338: I am sorry you are not happy in NC.

Chicagocubs: Thank you fro all that info. very useful

SunnyKajak: Thank you!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM

184 posts, read 416,299 times
I agree with the suggestions for Elizabeth and Dilworth. I like NoDa, but some people don't - just personal preference. There are more shops, restaurants and bars in NoDa within walking distance - it's not as spread out as other 'hoods in CLT. And friends of mine are getting ready to open a grocery there - they'll offer local food. NoDa IS in the middle of transitional neighborhoods, and that give some people pause to live there. I know lots of young families in that area that love it. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,976,860 times
I think you'd love Charlotte, based on what you've said. Definitely check out Elizabeth and Dilworth. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Wow, we found some amazing houes in both Dilworth and Elizaberh. The neighborhoods look beautiful. The only problem is we are having a hard time finding rental houses that are nice. There are plenty of beautiful houses for sale, but not for rent. Does anyone have any ideas how we can find a nice house to rent? We have tried Trulia and Craigslist. All cities are different - what is best in Charlotte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or