Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times

Advertisements

I'm not exactly sure how it's going to work, but according to this article - Southwest Airlines will fly to Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

the only airports that AirTran flies direct to right now are BWI, Orlando and Atlanta. If BWI is one of the places Southwest will go, they do fly direct to a lot of places from there...IIRC you can get a direct flight from BWI to LAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM

378 posts, read 702,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Where'd you hear that? I haven't been able to find what the actual routes will be. But if they're only starting out with 3 routes, having Richmond being one of them seems odd, since Richmond is another one of the airports being converted from Airtan, plus that's a short flight and I wouldn't think that would be one of the most popular routes anyway.
Southwest's website. I went on there to see what bookings were available and from Charlotte only those three destinations were available. I don't know if that will change down the line once they switch everything over, but it there were no other options. Plus with Raleigh and Greenville-Spartanburg maybe they have divied out the destinations between all three

Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times
I tried doing that too, and for everything I tried to search for it just kept saying "that itinerary is available by booking through our partner, Airtan."

It lets you search for CLT, but everything I tried would send you to AirTran. It does not have CLT (or RIC for that matter) on the "Where We Fly" map which claims it "shows all service, both current and future, for the duration of our open schedule." (It does show ATL, which says it will start service on 2/12/12).

I haven't really seen anything definite, but as far as I can tell right now it looks like they will just be changing AirTran's routes to ATL, BWI and Orlando over to Southwest.

This article WFAE 90.7 FM (http://www.wfae.org/wfae/stat_search.cfm?id=8208&action=display - broken link)
mentions that, and also agrees with some of the previous posters that Southwest won't really have much of an effect on the prices of the other airlines, and actually says that Southwest's fares from CLT might be higher than Airtran's as well as their own fares from other cities.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,544,163 times
That makes sense, since Southwest relaunched their nonstop BWI/LAX service a couple of years ago.

SWA will undoubtedly discontinue service to Richmond later this year, given the current price of fuel; that $275.00 R/T fare on USAirways is awfully high for two cities that are less than 300 miles apart.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,665,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
that $275.00 R/T fare on USAirways is awfully high for two cities that are less than 300 miles apart.
True. But I would assume that, for the majority of people flying between CLT and Richmond, CLT is a layover either coming or going.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,786,135 times
This is just such great news for Charlotte. Southwest Airlines will be a welcome sight in the Queen City. Plus Im sure jobs will be added along with the addition of the airline. It will be great to have direct flights to Phoenix. Can't wait!!!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,544,163 times
Have airfares to & from Charlotte come down at all since they iniatiated service to Greenville/Spartanburg?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,786,135 times
Not really...But I also think that prices are ridiculously higher now than they were last year due to the higher gas prices. I do hope that Southwest Airlines Presence in Charlotte will hopefully jolt airline tickets prices to go a little lower. August 12th is supposed to be the kickoff!!!!!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,775,868 times
When / If American Airlines and Usairways merge, I fear that will allow them to raise the fares out of CLT regardless if Southwest comes in Usairways will still be the dominent carrier.

I just booked a ticket to Vegas in June for $750.00 East to West has gotten very expensive

Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,229,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLjungberg View Post
Awesome! I love Southwest Airlines!
Must have stock! I never heard anyone say I love an airlines. They all blow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte