Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,161 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Rock Hill, SC to be with my family and I was curious as to what the job market is like in Charlotte, NC for Electrical Engineers, Software Engineers, and Software Developers. I have been using online job resources such as monster, careerbuilder, etc... with no real feedback. I have started looking into finding a recruiter to help on the job search. Though, i wanted to get some feedback from the people in the area as to what the situation for jobs was for engineers and software oriented professionals. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on possible companies or job recruiters that would be helpful!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,352 times
Software engineer...apply at Lowe's

Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
You might also look towards Greenville and Spartenburg, SC, which I understand is a growing tech corridor.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 AM

817 posts, read 811,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgieme View Post
Looking to relocate to Rock Hill, SC to be with my family and I was curious as to what the job market is like in Charlotte, NC for Electrical Engineers, Software Engineers, and Software Developers. I have been using online job resources such as monster, careerbuilder, etc... with no real feedback. I have started looking into finding a recruiter to help on the job search. Though, i wanted to get some feedback from the people in the area as to what the situation for jobs was for engineers and software oriented professionals. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on possible companies or job recruiters that would be helpful!

Thanks
More specifics needed, if you are into Computer programming/Software Engineering, what specific domain are you into? Depends on that one too to a large extent, I could name quite a few companies that are hiring programmers/developers, administrators, BA's and QA's right now, and know a few recruiters and recruiting companies myself, like Bank of America is hiring, and so is Wells Fargo/Wachovia, not to forget there's Lowe's as someone mentioned, Time Warner Cable, TIAA-CREF, and a few other local corp's, one I heard about the other day was some LNL Corp. from Charlotte, so it all depends, on what you are specifically looking for. For Electrical Engineering, I don't think there are many options in Charlotte, Duke Energy could be hiring, not sure, there's Shaw group, you could look into their hiring req's too, they take a few Electrical Engineers. There are some corp's in the RTP who take EE's though.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,721 times
There are a few energy related companies in the Charlotte area. Siemens Energy had a ton of openings last time I checked. Most of them were for entry level engineers but they are hiring (or appear to be).

URS Corp.'s nuclear group is in Fort Mill, SC.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

209 posts, read 613,044 times
Company: Careers

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
In regards to practicing as an Engineer, it will help if you are state licensed or at least have an EIT. Most of the engineering firms require it or make the offer provisional. (legally there is no such thing as a software engineer so this doesn't apply)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 AM

870 posts, read 3,528,417 times
Hope I am not breaking any rules here but posting this from an email I got yesterday. May be a bit long but there are jobs.

I am conducting job searches for an awesome company, Proterra, Inc., who is located in Greenville, South Carolina. We are a leading maker of zero-emission commercial transit solution and have the following mechanical and electrical engineer vacancies: Proterra., Inc or scroll down to end of this email to view. Please apply if you have an interest at the above website or should others come to mind, please forward this email to them.

In addition to the posted career opportunities, we will be posting battery/energy storage system engineer positions at all levels. Applicants can email their resumes to me.

All candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
Thank you for your possible referrals.
Best Regards…
Gretchen Ragland
Proterra, Inc. - Recruiting Consultant
Cost Effective Solutions for Clean Transportation
gragland@proterra.com

Senior Electrical Engineer - E302
This position will have a system level development and release responsibility for low and high voltage electrical systems functions in development of all-battery transit bus and charging applications. This person will support development and launch of new products following the initial experimental release phase through production release and serial production.

The successful candidate will have
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required, advanced degree preferred
• 10 years of progressive electrical engineering experience in the automotive (preferably in the alternative fuel/hybrid sector), aerospace and power distribution industry.
• Strong project and people management skills

Senior Controls Engineer – E65
This position, within the Controls Engineering team, will be responsible for design and release of current and new product vehicle controls software. Specific responsibilities will include development and implementation of novel electric vehicle operation and charging strategies.

The successful candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, advanced degree preferred
• 10 years of vehicle control system and software development experience
• Significant experience in hybrid or electric vehicle systems
• Experience in software validation using Hardware-In-The-Loop and Software-In-The-Loop test systems

Electrical Engineer – Electric Vehicle Charge Systems – E74
This position is a key member of the Electrical Engineering team responsible for low and high voltage electrical hardware systems design and release for Proterra electric vehicle charge stations. This person will support current charge systems and work to implement new technology solutions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, advanced degree preferred
• 5-7 years of progressive electrical engineering experience in high and low voltage power distribution, vehicle connection systems, power transfer and charging system interface
• Familiarity or experience in design of power electronics for high voltage applications would be plus
• Experience with transportation industry electrical system design best practices
• Understanding of controls system software

Electrical Engineer – E11202
This position will support the Electrical Engineering design and release functions in development of all-battery transit bus and charging applications. This position will design and release schematics and electrical harness drawings for low and high voltage systems and will also support new business proposals.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, advance degree preferred
• 3 to 5 years of progressive electrical engineering design experience, preferably in the automotive, aerospace and power distribution industry.

Mechanical Engineer – E11201
This position will support the Mechanical Engineering design and release functions in development of all-battery transit bus and charging applications. This person will design and release mechanical systems and components and will also support new business proposals.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, advance degree preferred
• 3 to 5 years of progressive mechanical engineering design experience, preferably in the automotive/vehicle or transportation industry.

Engineer – Energy Storage Systems – E60
This position will include both electrical and mechanical engineering roles and will be responsible for the evaluation of alternate energy storage chemistries, module and pack electrical and mechanical design configurations, and vehicle integration for use in charge applications. The focus will be on improving on current energy storage systems design as well as developing new systems.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Automotive Engineering required, advanced engineering degree preferred
• Significant experience in the design and testing of energy storage systems for use in vehicle applications or grid power frequency regulation
• Advanced understanding of electrical and mechanical design principles and current industry practices for high power energy storage systems
• Ability to architect full vehicle energy storage systems to meet performance, packaging, and durability requirements

Engineer – Power Electronics & Chargers – E54
This position, as a member of the Advanced Engineering team, will be responsible for designing high voltage fast charge capable power electronics for use in charging stations. The focus of this position will be on driving cost and size reductions in power electronic and charging station technology.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, advanced degree preferred
• 10 years of experience in design of power electronics for high voltage applications
• Working knowledge of power electronics topology, material selection, and packaging
• Significant experience with ground up design of inverter, converter, DC rectification
• Experience with vehicle charging systems
• Understanding of controls systems hardware & software

Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,352 times
MicroSoft in Charlotte is hiring.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,541 times
Anyone have advice on finding software engineer internship please email [email]ktucker11971@Carolina.rr.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte