Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 PM

123 posts, read 283,013 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Here is my dilemma, do I put in an entire new zone/unit for my walk up attic that I plan to finish or do I put in one of those "split" systems I think they are called?

I had someone give me some initial estimates and i was pretty shocked at how much it would cost to add another unit. The space is only around 650 sq feet.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Who did use? How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking (private msg me)?

I have two existing Trane Units with gas heat furnaces and the ac units outside. I was going to match them (builder grade) or get one model up perhaps. I know Trane are very expensive but I also hear they are among the best. I am more concerned with long term what is best as we plan to be in the house a long time.

I also don't always plan on being up in the third floor as it will be a home office and my wife may use it some. It is basically one large room plus a full bath (which I wonder how it would fare with a split system).

Thanks for any advice or referrrals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Just a thought . . . but for only 650 ft . . . wouldn't putting in baseboard heat or some other type of small heating unit really be the most efficient and cost-effective thing to do? And for the summer, just add a window A/C unit? Since you have gas, you could also consider a monitor type gas unit for the upstairs - that fits into the wall.

Sorry if that is not on track with your original question, but having done several renovations and home extensions over the last 30 years, I have learned that sometimes there are ways to get what we want at a much lower price than incorporating the traditional solution.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,830 times
We have a finished 3rd floor attic which is about 800 square feet, and the HVAC system is on a damper with the 2nd floor. We aren't up there much either, but in the summer, it is impossible to cool. The 2nd and 3rd floor seem to not be able to run together, so both floors feel hot. The need for heat in the winter is rare. However, that may be due to the way our house faces. If I had a choice, I would have a separate unit to control temps in our attic.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,638 times
I have three floors all with separate units. When we are not up there that often. During the summer we use the fans and sometimes the air we also have windows up there leading to the roof. The DH likes cold so winter is not much of an issue. But again the separate units me that we have more control.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM

123 posts, read 283,013 times
I think we are going to go with another separate unit for up there. I just need some good references of companies to use. We got a quote only from one company and they were around $7-8k for each option they quoted! I am having a hard time believing it should cost that much but maybe so! Trane units are as well. I think we have to go that route though since it is the third floor! Thanks all. Who did you use bajanqueen?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:09 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs1017 View Post
I think we are going to go with another separate unit for up there. I just need some good references of companies to use. We got a quote only from one company and they were around $7-8k for each option they quoted! I am having a hard time believing it should cost that much but maybe so! Trane units are as well. I think we have to go that route though since it is the third floor! Thanks all. Who did you use bajanqueen?
\
Sorry, the house came with it already done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte