Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Honestly, I have never liked Charlotte, it is bland and boring. Not Charlotte's fault, but it is NOT a tourist attraction by any means. It is a great place for conservative families, but it ends there. Plus Charlotte has a huge inferiority complex, not just from Atlanta, but from similar cities not far away such as Charleston, SC and WV, and Charlottesville, VA. I have many friends abroad and most of them do not know what Charlotte is. Sorry that is the truth. They are more familiar with Mayberry, due to Andy Griffith, one of my fav all time shows. It is very similar to "Tara" the fictional place in "Gone With The Wind", mostly asked by oriental tourists to Atlanta as to where it is.
I'm a single Black guy in my early 30's and very much enjoyed Charlotte when I lived there; there's much to do there for people other than young families and the city continues to add more and more amenities to appeal to a broad cross-section of the populace (e.g., Levine Center for the Arts, NC Music Factory, etc.). And while it's not as liberal as Atlanta, it's not exactly conservative either; it's a consistent blue county that's best described as moderate, maybe with a slight center left leaning. And I think you're confusing Americans' general lack of geographic knowledge with an inferiority complex. They are not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,870,849 times
Quote:
You seem to be very well educated and coherent, unlike a lot of people on these threads.
Ironically followed up by....

Quote:
Honestly, I have never liked Charlotte, it is bland and boring. Not Charlotte's fault, but it is NOT a tourist attraction by any means. It is a great place for conservative families, but it ends there. Plus Charlotte has a huge inferiority complex, not just from Atlanta, but from similar cities not far away such as Charleston, SC and WV, and Charlottesville, VA. I have many friends abroad and most of them do not know what Charlotte is. Sorry that is the truth. They are more familiar with Mayberry, due to Andy Griffith, one of my fav all time shows. It is very similar to "Tara" the fictional place in "Gone With The Wind", mostly asked by oriental tourists to Atlanta as to where it is.

This "guy" is entertaining!

Oh...and this....

Quote:
Plus Charlotte has a huge inferiority complex, not just from Atlanta, but from similar cities not far away such as Charleston, SC and WV, and Charlottesville, VA.
What does this "inferiority complex" cause us to do? Go into other city forums and talk uneducated garbage about those cities and how superior our town is to theirs? Sound familiar? Who has the "inferiority complex"?

How do those toes taste, genius?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM

338 posts, read 896,680 times
They're both extremely lame cities with no world-class cultural institutions. Even their shopping districts are lame, suburban malls. They're not in the same league as places like Boston, Chicago. Philly, SF, or NYC.

That being said, they both have nice, cheap suburbs that offer a reasonable life.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,199 times
Charlotte is similar to Atlanta in that it seems to be a smaller version of Atlanta. About where Atlanta was 20yrs ago and seemingly growing at a similar rate and in a similar way that Atlanta did. Atlanta today has just about everything Charlotte has but on a much larger scale and more of everything. The Charlotte Metro is sprawling and still has plenty of room to continue sprawling like Atlanta did back in the 80s. One could say Atlanta is like Charlotte's big brother.

I prefer living in Charlotte though. It's not so big that traffic bottlenecks are an everyday thing, but not too small as to where it's boring. Atlanta is nice for just visiting.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Wow are you from Mayberry??
My opinion is that Mayberry would be a far better place to live than either Charlotte or Atlanta. And I was blessed to grow up in Mitford. It is all a matter of taste and country tastes better to me than any city.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
They're both extremely lame cities with no world-class cultural institutions. Even their shopping districts are lame, suburban malls. They're not in the same league as places like Boston, Chicago. Philly, SF, or NYC.

That being said, they both have nice, cheap suburbs that offer a reasonable life.

Wow...London Lawyer. Harsh but true.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It honestly sounds like you don't know too much about Atlanta. I love Charlotte to death, but from a tourist perspective, it's pretty easy to see that Atlanta comes out ahead over Charlotte. From the GA Aquarium (the world's largest) to the World of Coke (Atlanta is the home of Coca Cola) to Sweet Auburn/MLK National Historic Site and other attractions, Atlanta does quite well in the tourism category.

Things to Do in Atlanta - Explore 50 Fun Things to Do in Atlanta
I think you totally missed the point that the OP was trying to make. I could be wrong, but I doubt that the OP was serious. IMO, this thread was created as a "containment area" for Charlotte-haters and Atlanta area posters who troll Charlotte's forum looking for any and every excuse to "prove" that Charlotte is really Mayberry. If anything, this thread should keep such folks off of the Charlotte threads where people are trying to assist folks with relocation information. +1 to the OP for this one; wish I had thought of it.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think you totally missed the point that the OP was trying to make. I could be wrong, but I doubt that the OP was serious.
I was totally serious.

I don't view Charlotte as a major tourist attraction. I am sorry, but I don't. When I want to vacation on the East Coast, I might choose a city like Richmond, Philly, NYC or Boston. Yet, as a person who spends most of his free time in three of the five boroughs of New York City, I gotta tell you, most of New York City's "greatness" is not enjoyed on a daily basis, by the average middle class resident.

Charlotte, on the other hand, is a great place to live for families of all ages. It might not have the history of Richmond, Philly, or Charleston, nor the "wow" factor of NYC or Chicago, but it offers amenities to it's residents that can be enjoyed on a regular basis - like a fantastic park system/trails; friendly and helpful people, great shopping and dining options, etc. Thus, when viewed not from a tourists perspective, but by someone who seeks to live there, Charlotte is very attractive.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,641,789 times
To the other posters who extolled Atlanta's virtues, thank you . Again, I am admittedly ignorant of all that Atlanta has to offer. The fact that it has the nation's busiest airport was indeed a surprise.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My opinion is that Mayberry would be a far better place to live than either Charlotte or Atlanta. And I was blessed to grow up in Mitford. It is all a matter of taste and country tastes better to me than any city.

^ ^ ^ I prefer Mitford, as well. LOL

But as far as comparing ATL to CLT . . . I honestly think there is nothing any of us can write that will draw a real picture for another person. You just have to visit both cities, spend time in both of them . . . things that may appeal to me may not be of any weight at all to someone else's lifestyle satisfaction.

I do have to say - the traffic does really bug me. When dealing with client appointments - getting around can be a real PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte