Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

My parents want me to remove a twin mattress/boxsprings and frame that they have in their house. They want to put a bigger bed in that room. I have no use for the bed and it appears no one even accepts mattresses as donations anymore.

What the heck do I do w/ it?

I would gladly give it away - it is practically new and in great shape. My parents do not want someone they don't know in their house to pick it up, so advertising it as a give-away is not gonna work. And even if I find someone to help me move it out of their house - where would I take it???

Any suggestions are much needed for where and how to dispose of it. Such a shame - it is a really good mattress and boxsprings and I am at the point of just trying to dump it somewhere.

Oh - I should mention - it is located in Mooresville and they are outside the city limits. I don't know if I could drag it to the curb and the garbage folks will take it off or what . . . anyone know?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What the heck do I do w/ it?
I have been thru this problem. In many areas it is not legal to sell a used mattress for sanitary reasons. The best suggestion I have seen is to advertise the bed frame on Craigslist or a "Freecycle" group on Yahoogroups, and say we throw in the mattress for free. The you put it out in the driveway or on a porch.

Other than that, the option is to have it taken to the dump.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been thru this problem. In many areas it is not legal to sell a used mattress for sanitary reasons. The best suggestion I have seen is to advertise the bed frame on Craigslist or a "Freecycle" group on Yahoogroups, and say we throw in the mattress for free. The you put it out in the driveway or on a porch.

Other than that, the option is to have it taken to the dump.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. The thing is . . . my parents do not want anyone they do not know showing up at their house to pick up the mattress and box springs (they are elderly). So I can't advertise through one of those wonderful services.

I guess maybe I need to figure out where the dump is in Mooresville.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 12,537 times
The refugee re-location organizations definitely take them. Will see if I can find a number for you.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 AM

150 posts, read 324,751 times
If you are within the city limits, you can put it on the curb, and call 311 for large garbage pickup. That's what I did recently. It was a queen size mattress.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiawahGirl View Post
The refugee re-location organizations definitely take them. Will see if I can find a number for you.
They will? Any of them in the Mooresville area?

That would be so kind if you could find a number. That could be a good resource for others in the future, too.

Thank you for suggesting this.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
If you are within the city limits, you can put it on the curb, and call 311 for large garbage pickup. That's what I did recently. It was a queen size mattress.
Do you know if that is just for Charlotte?

Maybe I could call 311 and ask . . . ???

TY for that info, Jeff!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM

338 posts, read 796,357 times
You can schedule a pickup online for Meck County

Bulky Items

Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
You can schedule a pickup online for Meck County

Bulky Items
TY so much Ivster!

Maybe something like that is available in Iredell county, too.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM

181 posts, read 353,532 times
Salvation Army or some places like that will pick up donated furniture. Crisis Assistance accepts mattresses. A men/womens shelter might accept also.

http://www.crisisassistance.org/inde...&category=Main
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte