Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 AM

10 posts, read 37,695 times

Advertisements

After months of cheer-leading and telling us how great things are, Lowe's is today offering buyouts to ALL corporate employees. After the round of buyouts they will then start laying off the "older" folks, the most loyal and experienced.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-13-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
That's an interesting first post. I assume you are an employee of Lowe's that may be affected by the cutbacks you report?

It's a shame for the folks involved. But, this happens in many businesses, not just your company. Many of us on this board have been "right-sized" out of our careers over the years.

Take a good look at yourself and make yourself as marketable as you can.

You may also want to leave out the snide comments about your co-workers and CEO. I'm a little surprised you didn't question the #48 car sponsorship while you were typing.

Good luck with your situation.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
Hope you hang in there.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,421 times
At least they are offering something and not just handing pink slips. You would think there would be something in the papaer about that. I have not seen anything.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I question the accuracy of the statements . . . what on earth do you mean about "Indian contractors billing $180/hr." I work with hospitals who outsource to India for radiology and the reason is b/c the cost is substantially LOWER than what American radiologists charge . . . and the Charlotte Observer chose to lay off graphic artists and outsource to India for the same reason. So that $180/hr statement looks like pure poppycock to me.

Give me the facts so I can see what you are referring to - otherwise, it is just gossip, rumor and angry employee babble.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Ever go into a Lowe's (which I love and spent $3000 on kitchen cabinets last week) on the "off hours"? ie the early morning hours of contractors buying JOT materials are peak in my opinion

Take a look at these places after 3 in the afternoon. Good place to take your afternoon nap. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM

335 posts, read 699,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I assume you are an employee of Lowe's...It's a shame for the folks involved. But, this happens in many businesses, not just your company. Many of us on this board have been "right-sized" out of our careers over the years...You may also want to leave out the snide comments about your co-workers and CEO.
Oh yes, by all means, stay in your place and don't question authority, not even on an anonymous website. Keep up the sheeple attitude and do what your master says. Don't make waves, just go along with the flow and everything will be alright.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM

335 posts, read 699,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEABO14 View Post
Placing blame on an ethnic group for taking American jobs is ludicrous - blame the companies who outsource.
Uh, yeah. That's exactly what he is doing, blaming Lowe's and their leadership. He didn't slander the Indians, but merely mentioned their ethnicity to convey the fact the American jobs are being lost.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Oh yes, by all means, stay in your place and don't question authority, not even on an anonymous website. Keep up the sheeple attitude and do what your master says. Don't make waves, just go along with the flow and everything will be alright.
?????

Master? Unless you establish your own business, you are an employee of a business wh/ has been established and owned and operated by someone else.

No one owes you a job. I am very surprised at such a lack of respect or appreciation to the folks who make it possible for you to feed your family. Employees with crappy attitudes are one reason American corporations have chosen to do business someplace else. That, and unions, which ran up wages on jobs that required neither the skill nor education to demand those salaries.

For those who think they are slaves to the corporate master . . . how about establishing your own business and see how you do with the bottom line - and managing ungrateful employees who have developed an entitlement attitude?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM

10 posts, read 37,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Employees with crappy attitudes
We didn't have crappy attitudes. We were thankful for a good job and looked forward to a career here.

They have decided to offer more severance to the most talented and experienced employees to entice them to quit. Then they will backfill those positions with either low-paid people from India who know that this company is their only H1 option in the region, or high-paid contractors with no benefits. My group is losing very good people to the buyout. They'll take the cash and then take their talent somewhere else.

Sure, it's a business and they can do what they want. But there's a point of diminishing returns when you treat human beings like expendable garbage. At that point you'll just be a stepping stone between "real" jobs. The trust is gone.

I believe that they think they've thought it all through, but I also know that they are in a pattern of "Let's do what Company X is doing, it seems to be working for them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte