U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 AM

777 posts, read 2,444,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I would catch and release in the mountains...away from neighbourhoods.
^^ This. Its not like they are out there eatin yo kids like the coyotes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,123,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
^^ This. Its not like they are out there eatin yo kids like the coyotes!
^ ^ ^Agree.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM

335 posts, read 659,028 times
From the news story: <<"There currently is a beaver infestation in Union County as they no longer have a natural predator....[The trapper] removed the beavers by their normal means. I mentioned the removal in our newsletter and put the picture of some of the beavers on our website as I felt it was an issue that affected our community."
Under state law, if beavers disrupt the natural flow of a waterway, property owners are allowed to hire a licensed professional to trap and kill beavers year-round, according to wildlife officials.>>

If this is accurate, I see absolutely no problem with that.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 AM

154 posts, read 208,802 times
very very sad....

Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,123,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
From the news story: <<"There currently is a beaver infestation in Union County as they no longer have a natural predator....[The trapper] removed the beavers by their normal means. I mentioned the removal in our newsletter and put the picture of some of the beavers on our website as I felt it was an issue that affected our community."
Under state law, if beavers disrupt the natural flow of a waterway, property owners are allowed to hire a licensed professional to trap and kill beavers year-round, according to wildlife officials.>>

If this is accurate, I see absolutely no problem with that.
Can we give PETA your ID?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM

457 posts, read 633,903 times
Disgusting beaver pictures posted online? Welcome to the Internet

Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Had the beavers been relocated, fellow beavers would not be as welcoming as some of you folks are imagining from your fantasy perspective: This is the warm welcome to be received from fellow beavers if they would have relocated: "Once a beaver detects another scent in its territory, finding the intruder takes priority, even over food.[48] Because they invest so much energy in their territories, beavers are intolerant of intruders and the holder of the territory is more likely to escalate an aggressive encounter.[47] These encounters are often violent. To avoid such situations, a beaver marks its territory with as many scent mounds as possible, signaling to intruders that the territory holder has enough energy to maintain its territory and is thus able to put up a good defense. As such, territories with more scent mounts are avoided more often than ones with fewer mounts.[47] Scent marking increases in August during the dispersal of yearlings, in an attempt to prevent them from intruding on territories.[47] Beaver also exhibit a behavior known as the "Dear Enemy Phenomenon". A territory holding beaver will investigate and become familiar with the scents of its neighbors.[45] As such they respond less aggressively to intrusions by their territorial neighbours than those made by nonterritorial floaters or "strangers".

Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 AM

Many of you folks have been detatched from basic human survival for so many generations now, that your perception of reality, and of right vs. wrong has been skewed from that of your forefathers.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 22,898,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Disgusting beaver pictures posted online? Welcome to the Internet

I was going to respond with specifics of the incident, but then my mind went where it is most often, and I understood your post.

Quote:
Had the beavers been relocated, fellow beavers would not be as welcoming as some of you folks are imagining from your fantasy perspective: This is the warm welcome to be received from fellow beavers if they would have relocated: "Once a beaver detects another scent in its territory, finding the intruder takes priority, even over food.[48] Because they invest so much energy in their territories, beavers are intolerant of intruders and the holder of the territory is more likely to escalate an aggressive encounter.[47] These encounters are often violent. To avoid such situations, a beaver marks its territory with as many scent mounds as possible, signaling to intruders that the territory holder has enough energy to maintain its territory and is thus able to put up a good defense. As such, territories with more scent mounts are avoided more often than ones with fewer mounts.[47] Scent marking increases in August during the dispersal of yearlings, in an attempt to prevent them from intruding on territories.[47] Beaver also exhibit a behavior known as the "Dear Enemy Phenomenon". A territory holding beaver will investigate and become familiar with the scents of its neighbors.[45] As such they respond less aggressively to intrusions by their territorial neighbours than those made by nonterritorial floaters or "strangers".
I guess you're right. Better just to kill them. We should probably go hunt them all down so none of them will ever have to deal with...nature.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM

8,402 posts, read 22,898,139 times
Quote:
Many of you folks have been detatched from basic human survival for so many generations now, that your perception of reality, and of right vs. wrong has been skewed from that of your forefathers.
Basic human survival? Did the article forget to mention that the beavers were attacking the Fairfield residents? Or were the beaver pelts necessary to protect the locals in their huts?

What is right about killing the beavers for a potential (not actual) problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte